What musical instrument do you play?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JPoczwaposted 14 years ago

I am interested in knowing if any hubbers out there play a musical instrument.  I myself, play the Bb Clarinet - I'm taking lessons and love this instument - although it isn't the most easiest instrument to play.  What do you play and what level are you at?  Did you ever think of becoming a concert musician? (PS: Should have posted this in the "Entertainment" category.) Sorry!

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I play the keyboard abit, but with the letters still on the keys.
      Not perfect yet. smile

2. SparklingJewel profile image65
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

playing instruments is an art...so you are good here with your question smile

I pay piano, violin, flute, recorder and sing

It would be nice if I did it often enough to be better now...but I use to be average...having children took over my life and I haven't started playing more again...yet...it is on my list smile

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I play guitar, ukulele and I'm about to get serious with the piano. I know a few chords and can play melodies by ear, but that's no longer enough for me! I also plan to buy a mandolin.

4. nauseagoshawk profile image59
      nauseagoshawkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not perfect yet. smile

5. molen tax profile image59
      molen taxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not perfect yet. smile

2. profile image0
    troseposted 14 years ago

I teach private music lessons on piano and all brass and woodwind instruments at our local University.  My main instruments (playing professionally) is clarinet and piano.  I can help you with any clarinet issues you might run into and solve them easily. Great to hear you are learning to play an instrument!  You will love it. smile

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Guitar and blues harp. I haven't for some time though, and I don't have the wind any more for my harp. sad

1. Richieb799 profile image77
      Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah you need wind for blues harp, depends bo didley stuff was slower, some people just play chords, I like to play whole songs

4. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

I play the guitar pretty proficiently, I sing well and I've got basic background/understanding of piano.

5. profile image0
    Citrus000posted 14 years ago

I am learning to play the violin.

6. smartwriter1 profile image61
    smartwriter1posted 14 years ago

I would love to learn the clarinet.Did you know these facts about clarinet.---

A person who plays the clarinet is called a clarinetist or clarinettist. The clarinet was invented in Germany by Johann Christoph Denner around the turn of the 18th century, by adding a register key to the earlier chalumeau. Over time, additional keywork and airtight pads were added to improve tone and playability. Today, the clarinet is used in both jazz and classical ensembles, as well as in chamber groups and as a solo instrument.

7. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I'm teaching myself to play guitar. My son taught himself as well. He's getting good at it.

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

none. i have a mountain dulcimer though, that i got and only played five times or so. i took it out yesterday and have it in plain sight because i am determined to learn how to play it this year.

9. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Piano. I started playing around 5 years old. It just came naturally. Oh...I can also play a mean set of "spoons!"

10. getitrite profile image69
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

Electric bass guitar.  Been playing professionally for years.

11. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

I play blues rock on a American made Stratocaster. The greatest guitar ever made!

12. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

When I was younger I played the clarinet - was 1st chair from 5th grade thru a jr in high school smile I have been learning the electric guitar - can only play a little as I have neuropathy and cramping in my hands. Holly

13. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

guitar and drums currently big_smile

14. DaniellaWood profile image73
    DaniellaWoodposted 14 years ago

I play the flute (at grade 8, which in England is the most advanced level), the Piano at grade 7, the alto saxophone at grade 7, the piccolo, i sing and am going to start learning the Bb clarinet soon. The flute is my main instrument; I love the sound - it can portray so many different emotions - happy, sad, romantic, eerie. etc. Love it big_smile

15. profile image0
    troseposted 14 years ago

I am amazed at the many talented musicians here!  So fun!  I am starting lessons next Friday on jazz piano with a local professional jazz pianist.  Very excited! smile

1. DaniellaWood profile image73
      DaniellaWoodposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amazing! I love jazz music, it's my favourite!! Have fun big_smile

16. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

tenor sax. although its been a good five years or so.

17. fishtiger58 profile image66
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I play the guitar, although I'm not very good at it.

18. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I have been playing guitar for thirty years.  Not much better now than when I started.

19. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

G|M plays the Kazoo; I play drum machines and synthes.

20. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

I play electronic keyboards, piano.

21. Dao Hoa profile image59
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I like to play the piano when I was young but private lessons were expensive for my mom. I still want to learn, but I have not started yet. Procrastination is my enemy!

22. Sifan profile image64
    Sifanposted 14 years ago

I play and teach piano. Nice to meet everybody here. I want write some hubs about teaching and playing piano in the future, hopefully soon.

23. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Took piano lessons for many years.  Professional musician playing R&R, guitar drums bass guitar vocals, fiddle, 5 string banjo, mandolin and swinette.

24. BeckyC profile image69
    BeckyCposted 14 years ago

I've played piano (classically trained) since I was 5. I play at an advanced, but not concert pianist, level. Oboe is my main instrument, I play at an advanced level and I guess I could pursue a performing career with it if I wanted, but that's not really where my interests lie. I also play the clarinet and bassoon at an advanced level, and the flute and sax (bari sax rocks!) at an intermediate level. I've played recorder for quite a while, but just started to get serious with it as my health hasn't allowed me to play oboe for a while. I'm probably at a late intermediate level on recorder, at least on alto and soprano. I got a ukulele for Christmas, and I can play a few chords with it, but not much more yet. I can play simple melodies on the violin, but if anybody's around they better have ear plugs.

If you haven't guessed by now, music is pretty much my life. I'm trying to get started teaching piano and woodwind lessons, but not much luck in finding students so far. I was a music therapy major in college for a while, and I would like to go back to it if my health ever allows. For now I'm mostly housebound, but thinking about going to a local nursing home and playing for the residents. I also play and sing a lot in my church...and that reminds me, I almost forgot to mention I play handbells!

25. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

I play the guitar Hero. I aim to score high.

26. connelly73 profile image61
    connelly73posted 14 years ago

Me too playing guitar and bass for about twenty years. Started a site to help others and post up some of my own work. My site is in my profile page and very new.

27. MixtapeChick profile image60
    MixtapeChickposted 14 years ago

The drums and the Kazoo... fo sho.

28. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

guitar

29. scheinandras profile image60
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

I play my bass quite often but I have an electric organ as well, just for fun:)

30. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

None but I wish I was good at the piano/guitar.

31. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 14 years ago

I have a master's degree in voice performance with a minor in piano performance and teach voice and piano. I sing, play any keyboard instrument and any upper string instrument (the ones you can hold, not the ones that rest on the floor). I've been a full-time classical singer for 23 years.

32. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Guitar, drums, bass, banjo, trumpet, harmonica, french horn, and a little piano

been playing for about 21 years

33. Laura Thykeson profile image64
    Laura Thykesonposted 14 years ago

I have been playing guitar since 9, by ear, took 2 years of piano but never learned to read music, just played by ear...they finally gave up on me as far as lesson, lol! I have a piano at my son's house, and a 50 year old (at least) Gibson acoustic. Also a classic guitar, although I will give a nod to the Stratocaster!!!

34. Charlene Jaggard profile image60
    Charlene Jaggardposted 3 years ago

I play guitar and sing and love it with a passion smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)