Everytime I turn around someones trying to scam me.

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (23 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I sold my 1991 Dodge Stealth with over 200,000 miles on it about two months ago for $2,500 and now the people are calling me threatening that if I don't pay for things to be fixed on it they are taking me to court. The car wasn't inspected and they knew it had a bad wheel bearing, the car made a loud noise on the drivers side that couldn't be hidden. At the time they stated they didn't care because they were putting it in the school auto shop class to get worked on. The wheels alone were worth 3,000. I live in PA, can someone do this? They knew things were wrong with it and I didn't try to hide anything. Plus they have had the car for 2 months. I am beginning to think they bought it intentionally to try to sue me to have it fixed. I was sent texes saying they want $1,000 and that's a lot cheaper then me having to go to court. Does anyone know the law? I have a hub with the picture of the car, if there wouldn't have been anything wrong with it, I would have sold it for a lot more.

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if they bought it already, you dont have any obligation after, it is their take that somebody a mechanic should have seen it first, dont worry about it, did you sign something?

2. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

You are fine and don't let them scare you.

Unless you maliciously sold them a lemon, you are fine.

If they didn't get a mechanic to look at it before they bought it, it's their fault.

If they got a mechanic to look at it before they bought it and still bought it, it's their fault.

If they keep pestering you, you can file a harassment charge.  But I probably wouldn't want it to get ugly.

You are 100% ok and they cannot sue you.  I take that back.  They can ATTEMPT to sue you in small claims court but you will win in court.

3. kmackey32 profile image65

That's what I thought. I sent them a text back saying I never agreed to pay for things to be fixed months later and they knew what was wrong with it. Did u see my pictures of the car?

kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. TimTurner profile image69
      TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I didn't.

Unfortunately, they took the risk of buying a car with over 200,000 miles on it.  They should've had a mechanic look at it and his advice would've probably been "don't buy it."

But that has nothing to do with you.

And it is odd they are contacting you months later.

3. profile image0
      Car Donationsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

truth is, whenever you are dealing with large amounts of money, always do your homework on the company or individual. There is always someone trying to earn a quick buck. Like timturner said, always get mechanic to take a look before you buy a used car!

4. kmackey32 profile image65

I was originally asking for 4,000 for the car and went down to 2,500 because of the problems with it. I think the people really wanted the car but couldn't afford to fix it so now there threatening me to fix it.

kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And There was a garage right across the street. IDK about a mechanic saying not to buy it. The people said it needs $1000 worth of work, and its a beautiful car, I didn't want to sell it in the first place. I would rather buy my car back then pay them to fix it, that's why I sold it cheep.

5. pisco profile image60
    piscoposted 14 years ago

Honestly i don't know how it is in the United States, but here in Portugal, there is no warranty in buying 2nd hand cars owner to owner, so assuming it is the same, don't let them beat you down as they have no legal backup for what they claim, probly just trying to scare you and get away with it.

6. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I don't think they can really do anything.  As has been said it was dumb of them to buy without getting inspected.  Unless you specifically give some sort of guarantee a used car is almost always sold "as-is", even when purchased from a dealer.  That's why they sell extended warranties.

Anyway, they may try to lay the scare tactics on you, and there is nothing saying they can't sue you.  That said if they only want $1,000 it doesn't make much sense for them to sue since it isn't likely to go in their favor, and then they could be stuck paying legal fees and court costs leaving them further in the hole.

I'd tell them they knew the car's condition and give 'em the shoulder.  If they want to escalate it, go ahead.  No worries.  Someone always wants others to pay for their mistakes.

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Here's a pretty good link on the Lemon Law, and it includes PA.  (It mentions used cars.)

http://www.lemonlaw.com/pennsylvania-lemon-law.htm

You may want to look up PA's Bar Association or court sites, or else search, "free legal information in Pennsylvania".  There's usually some lawyer or group that will answer questions about this type of thing over the phone.

8. profile image50
    buffalo wingposted 14 years ago

the pa lemon law does not apply to a 18 yr old car with 200k on the odometer--nor does a private sale--the worst these people can do is file a small claim suit against you at the local magistrate where the transaction occured and you could end up in a 1/2 hour court session. you have nothing to worry about. besides ,any bonehead who buys a car with that many miles should know that they are going to have to lay out some $$ to make it road ready. not to be hurtful , but it sounds like you are being too nice to these people. i hope they were not friends of yours. good luck

9. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Caveat emptor…….Let the buyer beware…

Lemon laws only apply to dealers in most states, not individuals or private sales.

10. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Don't worry. They're just trying to scare you. If you get anymore correspondence from them just respond with> "You bought the car as is, where is, no warranties expressed or implied". And leave it at that.

11. platinumOwl4 profile image70
    platinumOwl4posted 14 years ago

Yes, People will try to scam you. How did you advertise the car when you were ready to sell it. For instance:

Vehicle for sale
    call 000-000-0000
    Never the less it was a USED car. As many of the other Hub membes have said don't worry. If you sell a used car again make it plain in your advertisement "as is"

12. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Tell 'em they're dreaming.

If they continue warn them that you'll report them for harassment.

13. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Kind of hate to mention this, but they may well think they can bulldoze you just because you don't look like...well, say, Hulk Hogan.  Pretty incredible how many people over the years have tried various dirty tricks on my five foot, 92 pound wife.  More fools they.

14. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

If there was no legal agreement, in writing, between the two of you, then the people who are harassing you for money haven't got a legal leg to stand on.

They are just trying to get a free ride, pardon the pun.

15. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Used cars are always sold on an as is basis.

You should always use a standard bill of sale when selling a car.

Let them sue you.  It means nothing.  No judge is going to award them anything.  It's their responsibility to inspect a vehicle.

In court it is your word against their word and without any contractual obligations there is NOTHING they can do.

Used cars do not have warranties implied or expressed unless there is a written contract.

All you would have to say in court is that when you sold the car none of the problems they are having now were present.

That's it.  Case closed.  It's their fault for being stupid.

The law does not protect stupidity. The only way you could get in any kind of trouble is to admit in front of a judge you made certain promises.  The best advice in front of a judge would be to deny anything they said and say as little as possible.  Do NOT try to explain yourself.  Just say simple things like the car was fine when I sold it.

What I would do if I were you is call your local police department and file a harassment claim.  Get it on paper with the Police Department that these people are harassing you. Then if for some reason you had to go to court take the document.

16. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

You need to check the laws in your state.  In Massachusetts any car sold over $695.00 has to pass a safety inspection.  If the car was more than $700.oo there is a 30 day warranty period on all purchases in the state this is a limited powertrain warranty.

17. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Yeah, just tell them every time they text you: Saving this for the courts to look at in our case that you're bringing. It may stop them, they have to know they haven't a leg to stand on. They can send you hate mail and hate texts, but it'll only serve against them in a court of law.

18. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Like everyone has said. They cannot sue you for even a penny if they knew it and you did not made any claim otherwise or PROMISED IN WRITING.

They just prey on law-abiding citizens who do not know the commerce law.
    Lemon law only applies to car dealers who signed the bill of sales because they usually offer guaranties.

They were hoping that you afraid of court case and give in.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)