Traffic Whims Lately?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I know, this is the umpteenth thread on traffic - just wanted to check if others saw any odd patterns the past few days?  My numbers climbed a bit, and were holding steady at a good number, and literally overnight have dropped by about a third (again). 

It's becoming time consuming and discouraging to try to track and react to Google's whims. I know from reading posts from our wonderful colleagues with many years' experience here that this is part of the game, though.

Are any others here seeing new and odd patterns in traffic?  Did Google pull another animal out of its zoo supply?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same situation for me, Marcy.  It's dispiriting.  I've not found any Google algo update announcements so far online, but something happened last night, that's for sure.

Update: My traffic is still falling.  Let's hope for a swift recovery.

2. James A Watkins profile image86
      James A Watkinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes! My traffic yesterday and today is suddenly and pitifully low. Something must be going on—I hope.

3. Jamie Brock profile image92
      Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed earlier when I checked my account that there was an insane number of blue arrows. Seemed like there was one by almost every hub.  I have not seen that many before. I almost posted to the forum with the title, I'm so blue.

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

3 days ago my traffic doubled. It stayed that way through last night when I went to bed. This morning it is showing down to about 1/3 of what is normal for me. I just don't get this roller coaster ride!!!

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm in the exact same position, my traffic had increased greatly the past week and was steady then this morning way down again.  It gets frustrating to say the least.

1. BlossomSB profile image80
        BlossomSBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm just glad that it's not just me and this is happening to others, too. Probably it will right itself soon - hopefully, anyway.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

My traffic (which has never been much to shout about anyway) was on the "up" for most of this past week, now I check my stats this AM and it's in the tank again... which is bizarre because I just posted a new Hub last night and that usually provides a brief "bump."

Oddly enough, the stats page sez that new Hub has more slideshow views than it does page views.

I'm assuming there's some sort of glitch in the system or ghost in the machine that's affecting the traffic reporting...

1. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too many glitches recently - again getting very boring

4. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

My traffic is at an all time low Marcy, although it was going upward a few days ago.  To be quite honest it has just got pointless and boring.  I'm a writer, not a professional hoop jumper.  As HP keep idling my hubs, I now just delete them and move them elsewhere.  Soon all I will have left here are the hubs that have been copied multiple times, where I can't get the site to take them down.

5. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

My traffic has also all but disappeared overnight.  I am not sure if it's an HP stats reporting issue or if Google is in "another mood".  Ack!  This is just getting too old.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Thought I'd find this thread this morning.

My HP stats have had the bottom jerked out - down over 50% in one day.  Adsense and analytics stats, however show just a slight downtick, and nothing to be concerned about.  Analytics is showing half again what HP did for yesterday, and that's something that I never see.

Looks to me like a repeat of what we saw a few weeks ago when the HP stats went on the fritz and ceased to have any meaning at all.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Wow - sounds like many of us are seeing the same trend - a goodcincrease, followed by a plunge (last night, for most of us).  I'm glad not to be alone, but I hate to see my friends affected, too. 

If anyone spots the reason for the sudden drop, let us know?  Not that we can change it, it's just helpful to know, so we don't scramble to find what we did to cause it.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In other threads people are saying Analytics shows normal traffic so this must be an HP problem if that helps at all.

2. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just moved to another site; changed direction for my niche; and have not seen any dips in traffic or delays; my traffic is on the up and up since re-locating. 

By no means it this to knock at HP, but I too, got tired of wasting time trying to find out why my articles were not getting traffic. 

I can set my own tags, (HUGE) and don't have to update any content in risk of a mod ticking it on idle. 

I hope all that remain loyal here finds a solution or HP can offer a reasonable solution; I really liked posting articles here.  But just cant afford the drops in traffic and earnings.

8. aa lite profile image87
    aa liteposted 11 years ago

Are you looking at your traffic on your HubPages account, or through Google analytics?  My traffic as reported by HubPages is about half of what it should be, but my Google analytics show no change.  This is happened once before in December to many people, I reckon the HubPages views counter is totally not to be trusted.  In the middle of December I think there was a general fall in traffic, combined with HP views reporting going wonky, so that really confused things.

I now observe my subdomain traffic with analytics, and go to quant cast to see what is happening to HP as a whole.

Actually the best way of judging views on HP, I think, is to look at your Adsense impressions (go to performance, choose sites and HubPages).  Even though I use the Ad program, each of my hubs has an Adsense ad, so a view there will register on the Adsense account.  There are the 'impressions' where the ads have our ID, so the views that we will actually be paid for.  Impressions should be 60% of the total views.

The complication with analytics is that it counts people viewing your images as "views" which HP doesn't count and which we don't get paid for.  I usually just look at the number of visitors on the page, which is smaller than the number of views because some visitors look at a few of my hubs, but reflects better what I will be paid for.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

This discussion started several hours ago,

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108199

Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Relache - I missed that one.  Headed there now . . .

10. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 11 years ago

Same here,I think it must be a glitch.

11. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

Look on your "My Account" page. You'll see a notice in red from HP saying:

"Jan 8, 11am PST - There are some issues with traffic data collection over the last 10-12 hours, causing hub traffic statistics to be under reported during that time. A fix has been deployed, and we expect the data to normalize over the next 24 hours or so."

Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for pointing that out, Sue - I noticed it when it appeared, but it's helpful to share the info here on the thread, too.  Fingers crossed that the issue is addressed very soon.  I know it's time consuming for HP to monitor and repair!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)