I am going to delete all the generic hubs I Have written so far

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (43 posts)
  1. wowtgp profile image60
    wowtgpposted 10 years ago

I joined HubPages 4 months ago for one and only purpose - making money and becoming rich overnight. I thought, "Of course, all I need to do is put some articles out there and money will pour down from everywhere".

Fast forward 4 months, I have barely made $2 from those articles. So I reckon, deleting some of them and starting afresh is the best idea and I am going to do that. It's difficult, but I gotta remove them.  I must!

Have you ever deleted your hubs? I s it a good approach?

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why should you delete those hubs? Instead you write more and earn more. You earned @2 within 4 moths of your start. In any case it is a good start when the case is that even after one year some hubbers (including me) could not earn even @1.  In my case, it is 16 months since I started and I am hopeful of my first receipt of @50 within 1 or 2 months only. You have well begun, and well begun is half done.  Why worry? Don't lose hope and work hard confidently. I am sure you will earn more soon. Think positively!

wowtgpposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not losing any hope. I think you misinterpreted my words. I just want to delete some articles which is not up to the standards. I don't want be be known as someone who write crap, you know smile

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image60
          sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok fine, that is a good decision. In my case some hubs were not featured and later I gave some good edit. Now got all approved. I am with you. Cheers!

2. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

From what I have heard on the net, the place to make quick money is on bubblews.com.  I have heard from people I know that they are making $100s there per month, by posting consistently there and participating in their community.  If you're going to delete Hubs, you might as well repost them there.  bubblews posts do not need to be as long as Hubs, so you won't even have to expand your current Hubs.  Good Luck!  Making money on the net is not that easy.  It takes time and determination.  It's a matter of consistently adding to your content and sharing it and making friends.  Eventually things start to happen synergistically and real money is made.  It's not all that different than long term investing.  Small consistent efforts over time pay off big in the later years.

I make $25 a day over there. Need proof?

And no, I can't repost it on Bubblews for the sake of making money. I have more than 1800 connections over there within 2 months of joining that site because I only share humorous articles - things that people would want to peruse.

2. Rock_nj profile image90

$25 per day is $700 per month.  That sounds great!  You aren't going to make that kind of money on HubPages.

@Rock_nj Money is not the driving force anymore. I just want to write and improve my skills, and there is no better place for it than HubPages.

1. Rock_nj profile image90

I agree, HubPages is quite a writers community.  It has been a great experience for me.  I have gone back and forth on HubPages between wanting to make money and wanting to write about topics that interest me (some of which aren't all that "popular" and don't make a lot of money). That's pretty much the story of my overall life.  Back and forth between wanting to make money and wanting to do what satisfies me, regardless of money.

Do you have your own blog?

3. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is not my experience with Bubblews. After several months, I made 19 cents. I am also irritated by the huge quantity of vacuous crap written in extremely poor English that is posted there. I strongly suspect that the site will not live long once it comes under Google's microscope.

I am happy as long as they are sending $25 to me  through PayPal on a daily basis smile And surprisingly whatever you write over there rank pretty well in Google. I mean, really really well.

You are not earning because I premise, you don't have many connections. Connect with as many people as possible and see the money pour!

1. WriteAngled profile image74
              WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that I do not want my name to be publicly associated with illiterate and potentially incorrect material written by others, because this could ultimately affect any other content I have on the web. Thus, I am very careful about what "connections" I have that are viewable to all.

Fortunately, I can earn $25 by translating about 200 words, for which I need about 15-30 minutes depending on the content and which is a route that does not compromise my reputation. It's no problem to get 2000 or more words a day to translate.

Bubblews was just an experiment to see if it could produce passive income for minimal effort. It did not, so I am not giving it any further attention.

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are two reasons I would not delete Hubs: That they could get traffic and be indexed (important word here is could) and that they are already indexed and are getting traffic. Some need to age. If already indexed, then, if you delete the Hub, it's lost forever. If deleted, you lose the potential the Hub has or you lose what it already has. This is also why I don't delete Hubs and move them. If they are already indexed, or could be, then I'd either have to start all over and therefore waste time or someone else jumps in and takes the position of the formerly indexed Hub. However, as you and others have said, if the Hubs have no potential, then it might be wise to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. I'm very hesitant to just delete a Hub, though. Potential is hard to predict; in other words, what people are looking for is difficult to predict. Not entirely. Some keyword research will bring you some good predictions on what people look for, and, so, what will bring you traffic. As already said, overly saturated subjects with heavy competition will be an uphill struggle. Also, I think it is important to write about what you know and love. That's not a sentimental or cliche statement, it's true; because you will write well on those subjects, which means the visitor will get what he or she is looking for, which is what Google wants to index. As has been said too, improving the Hub is most the time the correct option; it can increase traffic. I like the templates HP has in the Hub Tool; it gives you an idea of what should be included in the Hub to generate traffic; adding media and text, images, polls, and information, or just polish up existing text, can pull a Hub out of a nearly dormant state and start getting it indexed and increase traffic. Another thing to look at is where the Hub is in the SERPs for those keywords; if it's been a couple years and you have to go all the way to page 10 (exaggerating a bit), then it might not have potential. If it's only been a couple months and it's on page 3 or 4, it looks like it's on its way up the SERPs.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image74
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had one low scoring Hub that I almost deleted.  I didn't do a thing different.  Then one day I noticed it had received 20 views.  Sometimes they seem to get noticed out of the blue for some reason and take off on their own!

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same kind of thing has happened to me. I've considered deleting Hubs and soon they started performing really well and I was glad I didn't delete them.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not know which Hubs you are referring to but I have skimmed over several. Do you use summaries? Write brief summaries. Shorten some titles and complete the thoughts in the summary, people will see this. Extend the content, add photos and other items. Do not delete them.

6. profile image0
      mariexotoniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haven't read through all the comments, but don't delete your hubs! Have to give them at least a year to see how they're doing.

1. profile image0
        mariexotoniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you have to, update your hubs. Use more text capsules to break up your text, throw in some youtube videos, a poll or 2, more pics, etc- strengthen them.

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 10 years ago

Not looked at any of your hubs, just the titles, but if you want to write in areas in which there are thousands of other established writers already getting the traffic you are not going to have much luck even if your hubs are the best in the world.
    When you choose a title and an area to write in it is important that it has two things when it comes to making money - traffic, and limited competition. If it has no traffic or a lot of established competition you are not going to make money.

good luck whatever you decide to do..

3. blueheron profile image91
    blueheronposted 10 years ago

Two bucks is two bucks--though I guess it doesn't equal an actual paycheck. I rather doubt I will live long enough to collect a paycheck from Google Adsense--at the rate I'm going, anyway.

Why not just build on what you've got?

I don't think there's much chance that Hub Pages will allow you to quit your day job, but there's probably an occasional small paycheck in it. Not much chance of getting rich quick here.

(Hey, I was hoping for a bit more, myself.)

4. Hezekiah profile image86
    Hezekiahposted 10 years ago

No need to ever delete any hubs unless there are complains due to it having offensive content,  some hubs need time to mature and grow.

5. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

You're writing on some over-saturated topics.  You have a Hub instructing people on keyword research, so apparently you must have looked at the numbers and decided you can rank for your keywords.  Good!  So instead of deleting your Hubs, why not spruce them up so they have a better chance of beating what is already in the SERPs?  If you want to rank for something lots of people are writing about, you need to go above and beyond and build a page that is better than anything else out there.

Many of your Hubs are way too short. This alone might be a problem. Longer Hubs have a better shot at ranking for more keywords and phrases, and (arguably) have more value in the eyes of search engines.  Also, four months isn't all that long.

If you feel like you're writing on topics you shouldn't be then delete away, but if you're just disappointed about your traffic and earnings you might want to try getting your Hubs up to the standards outlined in the HP goals before ditching 4 months of hard work.

Most of what I have written over here was done when I was a newbie here. It's been 4 months since I have done anything over here. Now that I don't have to worry about making money anymore, I don't want to put up crap here. The keyword related article you read is incomplete as it was written when I did not know anything about it myself.

I am thinking about improving it though.

1. EricDockett profile image97
        EricDockettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you wrote a keyword-related article without knowing anything about it yourself . . . well . . . there's your problem. wink

I change my position.  If you feel you've posted a bunch of spammy Hubs and you want to rebuild your account in a way that gives you more pride in your work, that can only be a good thing. Good luck!

I have deleted bunch of crappy stuff far. Off to fix some of other old hubs now.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have been at HP for 19 months now and have learned so much about online writing that it is unbelievable.  You sound like a person who wants to improve your skills, and I applaud that.  Many times I have a hub I don't like or that is performing poorly and I go back into it and improve everything possible.  Oftentimes this works well, sometimes it does not.  The problem for most of us is competition.  I would suggest writing about one main topic about which you know a lot and producing real quality hubs about it.  Over time, you will build authority, become known in that area and will do OK financially.  I have tons of deleted hubs I could move to Bubbelews, but I like it right here and don't care if those hubs ever get published elsewhere.  You will not get rich here, but you will learn, grow, make friends and in the end, be proud of what you produce.  To me, that is something money can never buy.  Best of luck to you.

You will notice the change soon.  I am preparing a few hubs smile

6. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

Online writing is stiff competition, but don't be discouraged. If you can join the Apprenticeship program here on HP, you will learn so much. When I first started it, I was only making pennies. I just published my 50th hub today (6-1/2 months later), and I will most likely close out July with over $40. That still won't make me rich, but I can see how people do well over time. Each day, I get more and more views. HP has many great lessons you can review if you can't get into the Apprenticeship program. Follow their advice. Try to do your best to write "evergreen" hubs. They will benefit you in the long-run. wink

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have to worry about making money anymore as I am already doing it on Bubblews. So now my focus is on writing hubs I have always wanted to write. It's more like write-my-heart-out place now.

I see, you are one of the lucky ones, who have joined Apprentice program. They have abolished it, haven't they?

1. Abby Campbell profile image74
        Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't think they have abolished it. I think it was put on hold for a little bit of time, but I know my HP mentor mentioned working with the new Apprenticeship group in June (when I finished). I think a lot of people are applying for it, but there is only so much room. But, you can probably get on the waiting list. :-)

7. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

If I had generic hubs I'd delete them too. Good for you!

8. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years ago

I say if its not worth reading, meaning quality, its not worth writing. Good for you for choosing to better your hubs.

I looked at one of them and immediately noticed a few grammatical errors, particularly where you listed a series of things and then said "is" instead of "are". As if you we're saying red, white and blue "is" the colors of the US flag.

When you have goofs like this you won't be taken seriously by readers. Hub hoppers won't rate your hubs highly and your hub scores will be lower. I imagine that affects your rankings on Google as well, though I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I encourage you to get more particular about your mechanics of writing for better hubs.

I'm not so sure how much I agree with the comment someone made about not writing about what a lot of other people have already written about. I think that's really hard to do. I write about whatever I feel compelled to write about and "try" to find at least somewhat unique things when I can. However my highest viewed hub is about how I lost weight and the next highest is about weight loss tips. Weight loss is a huge industry with millions of people writing on that topic. Yet my lowly hubs are doing fairly well.

As many people have said, think evergreen. Topics everyone wants to read about. And to me, that's going to mean topics a lot of other people are writing about too. So ... kind of an oxymoron.

Good luck with revamping your hubs!

I think the hub I have published right now is more up to the par with HubPages standards.

9. MagStudio profile image58
    MagStudioposted 10 years ago

I am with you.
    Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. adecourv profile image91
      adecourvposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I haven't deleted any of my stuff. I figure, it's already written, why undo it?

But when it negatively affects your reputation as a hubber, you gotta do it. All the hubs I deleted were nothing but junk.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should have recycled them. After all one mans junk is another mans...

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

The reason you do not keep poorly written hubs is to let Google know you do not write junk as well as good articles. The junk lowers your portfolios ratings and thus your views and money.  Furthermore, junk pulls the entire site down and effects all of the other writers.  Keeping junk is damaging to everybody so you should either rewrite or delete.

This is why I deleted 'em.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

My comment is for adecourv.  I fully understand why you deleted and applaud you for doing so.  If we all bit that bullet, HP would fall into favor with Google again and all of us would benefit.  Unfortunately, many people can't seem to get that point, so we continue to suffer.  Sooner or later, though, HP will delete those bad hubs for the others...so the end result will be the same.

Exactly what I premise will happen!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)