Disturbing commentor- does this type of comment sound familiar to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mariexotoniposted 9 years ago

I know there have been some trolls on HubPages and I have already contacted the staff to see maybe if they could help me with my issue.

I have an occasional guest commentor.. His messages are disturbing, but I'm wondering if he sounds familiar to you. I wish I could remember all of his comments, because I think he referred to me as another HubPage user.

Here is what it said- I blocked out some stuff

"Where will you now run away ATM, aka Beelef***dad, aka F***brainDead?

How would it feel to lose your years' labor for the sake for trolling? Masturbate now, chick, while you hold that physics' book against your dad's face.

You're out of the game. hahaha"

Does this type of talk sound familiar to anyone from one of the former users? I'm just curious. Also, has anyone else received comments like these?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  I have received weird comments, but nothing like this.  I would advise you to delete the comments (report it first) and  ignore the commenter.  You may want to put your account on comment moderation so that each comment has to be approved before it can be posted.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61
        Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good advice MT I too am shocked!  I was just paying attention to others about words being filtered. Why was this language allowed?  When it comes to religion they are very quick to screen it ,but some disgusting language it is like it is on a billboard not to be touched. I think this should be a issue dealt with.

1. profile image0
          mariexotoniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks MT!

I am pretty annoyed with all of this. Wish there as an option to block IP's. This person keeps going out of their way to comment on my hubs and I HATE reading them. Now I have to block users from commenting unless they're signed in.
          The IP's are both from India (117.215.0.14 , 101.56.195.148). Doesn't really tell me a whole lot. Figured someone would recognize the language/grammatical errors from this person. Was hoping they were a former HubPage user.

2. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree don't let any of his comments go on. You did the right thing by reporting him to HP staff. This is the kind of person that should be banned. Check his IP number and find out where he lives not that it will help but it's nice to know. I once checked on a person that was leaving nasty remorks and he was doing it from his workplace.

3. Au fait profile image84
      Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In case you would need the comments this person is leaving and proof they were sent, and exactly where they were sent from, I suggest that instead of deleting them you put them in your Spam folder.  They don't go pubic when they're in your Spam folder, but you have them in the event they are needed as evidence for any reason.

To put comments in your Spam folder click "Deny" at the bottom of the comment, and then you will be given the choice to either put it in Spam or delete.  You can always delete once they're in your Spam folder, but until you're sure they won't be needed by the HP moderators or police, (sorry, I don't want to be scary, but sometimes these things escalate), they are available with the IP address on them showing exactly where they came from, etc.

1. profile image0

Thank you. I have deleted them before but have decided to keep them to have a record.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you're curious where the comments are coming from, you can lookup the locations of IP addresses here http://whatismyipaddress.com.  It will tell you their city unless they are using a masking service.

1. profile image0

I did- I found they were both from India! Thank you

2. Au fait profile image84
          Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In addition to putting undesirable comments in your Spam folder, put comments on all hubs on approval so that none go live until you OK them.  Some people will try leaving nasty comments on other hubs if it doesn't work on the one they're attempting to leave them on.  They know about the comment options.

Since your location is not known anywhere that I noticed, just put this person's comments in your Spam folder without bothering to read them.  If you feel threatened report them to your local police.  Otherwise file them in Spam and forget about them.  No need to read since you already know what they usually include.

Yes, your location can be discovered if one makes the effort through your IP address, but that is usually only visible to the owner of the account where the posting is placed.

Report this person also to HP, and if you really feel these other precautions aren't enough, insist people sign in to leave comments.  One doesn't have to be a writer to have an account here.  I have several friends who have accounts just so they can follow me.  Just the same, it may slow this guy down a little to require sign-in to comment.  Really sorry you are having this bad experience.

1. profile image0

Thank you for your help Au fait!

4. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking Damn,that sounds Very familiar!...then I realized Why...it sounds word for word like my EX!...then I thought hey,she's a former user...but she doesn't have an account here...sorry...

5. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I report and cordially delete. It happens on all sites so just walk away and do not respond.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is always a disturbing thing, Marie, when it happens. I have control over comments on my hubs with the settings options and it makes life easier for me, I can just ignore such trolls. So sorry this has happened to you. There is an article on tracking IP addresses that may help us all to stop these people from bothering us.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6602171_out-own … dress.html

If we know who the trolls are, that is the first step in stopping them.

1. profile image0

Thank you! I was actually just looking into ISP's. I wonder if some providers have rules against cyber-stalking and cyber-bullying.

I do moderate my comments, but these ones are especially hard for me to ignore. Maybe because they have been happening so frequently...I don't know. Going to see if there is any further action I can take to prevent this.

2. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Disgusting - he should be banned from HP.

3. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 9 years ago

Has our old forum antagonist Beelzebub returned and gone insane?! Or is it just someone stuck with an unshakeable first circuit imprint from childhood? In any case, banish the foul-mouth like M. T. suggests, Marie.

4. sapiktor profile image60
    sapiktorposted 9 years ago

I chuckled a bit. It's kinda funny though. But not so much if its happen to me.

So do we have the option to block or remove this type of post?

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can approve it or deny it.  If you deny it, it gives you the option to report it to HP staff.

5. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

That is shocking stuff Marie. You shouldn't have to stand for that, but it's hard to do anything if he isn't a Hubber other than what Au fait suggests. He could be a hubber who just hasn't signed in, but I have never heard any comments like that. Is there a way of blocking comments from anyone other than hubbers?

1. profile image0

Thanks Jodah
      I have the settings so only HubPage users can now comment- which is not something I really wanted to do, oh well. Hopefully that will deter that commenter from coming specifically to my HubPages long enough for him to forget and move onto something else.

6. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

Just a theory...

Have you been posting in the religion forums or on hubs about religion or atheism? I am wondering if this guest poster is accusing you of being hubbers A Troubled Man (ATM) and EncephaloiDead (F***brainDead). I don't have a clue who Beelef***dad might be.

I purposefully avoid discussions on religion but I believe these two hubbers like to engage in debate over on the religion forums. There are probably plenty of hard feelings among those who participate in the debates over there. Maybe the guest poster is angry with someone they think is actually you.

7. profile image0

I have been avoiding these forums as well- always seemed to be full of people fighting and name-calling.
    But I just found a new comment that I hadn't seen before, and he does refer to me as  "EncephaloiDead", which is another user it appears..

8. profile image0

I had these thoughts too- about the religious forums/questions. Just don't know why he's referring to me as all of these people.

9. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

Hmmmm... no telling why the guest poster thinks you are those members. Perhaps they will see this thread and realize you're not them, and move on to someone else.

I'm sorry you're having these troubles. Best wishes for happy hubbing!

1. profile image0

Thank you! Should be happier times now smile

10. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Just ignore and never approve this comments.  Guest commentors may write anything and may be absurd things. just forget and keep on writing. I too had such bad experience once and I deleted his comments immediately as it may affect our reputation also if it stays there on the comment column.

11. word55 profile image72
    word55posted 9 years ago

I agree with sunilkunnoth2012, you must ignore him. Isn't there a way to block someone here? I've seen that someplace. Anyway, he can't touch you so just delete his comments. He sounds sick. :-(

12. Greensleeves Hubs profile image89
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your experience Marie. There are unfortunately plenty of people out there who are sick-minded, or just idiots who get some sort of kick out of being offensive. I can only echo the many constructive comments on this page, and particularly to use the 'moderate' filter option to review comments before they are published - If he never gets to see his comments on screen he won't get the kick out of hurting you which he presumably craves. I wouldn't myself insist on all correspondents signing in however. I love receiving comments but get far too few from outside of HubPages, and would not want to discourage those who want to comment on hubs by forcing them to become members and sign in.

At least on HubPages there are options available to moderate comments and support from the staff - sadly as we know on some of the biggest social media sites it seems any kind of disgusting rubbish can be published almost with impunity.

Best wishes, and I hope he stops soon. Alun

1. profile image0

Thanks for your input! I would love to have users that aren't necessarily hubpage users to comment on my hubs. However, he has commented on so many of them and I keep finding new ones on accident. Oh well. Things should quiet down since he would have to make an account anytime he wants to comment.

13. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

There is a strong chance that a robot program is submitting those comments.  What you are describing sounds almost exactly like a problem I dealt with for one of my former web clients and their forum comments.  The nonsensical language and grammar are because a program is spinning phrases.

Change commenting for the Hubs getting the bad comments so that only users of HubPages are allowed to comment.  And then also moderate those comment capsules.  That should fix it easily.

1. liesl5858 profile image83
      liesl5858posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think guest commenters should not be allowed to comment on hubs if they are not members of Hubpages Community. They only upset Hubbers like you. It is not fair.

1. profile image0

I wish HP had a way for users to block certain IP addresses! Life would be easier

2. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow that is sort of unfair ! Maybe some one committed and did not really say a word. Reminds me of face book where it makes you think people sent you a birthday reply to find out face book sent it not you. That is not good at all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)