What is the latest on the Editor's Choice feature? Still in?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (83 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image92
    PegCole17posted 9 years ago

Wondering where we stand with regard to a new accolade for having more than 5 EC hubs or even a way for people to see this special distinction publicly on our hubs. Right now, we are the only ones who can see it - on our account statistics. I'm tempted to opt out at this point. Is there anyone else still in?

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't received an Editor's Choice award. However, I can tell when a hub is EC because the hubber's name is removed from the URL.

PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bravewarrior, I'm actually shocked that your work has not gotten the attention it deserves in regard to this "award". You are a fine writer in every sense of the word.
        Thanks for sharing your take on this.
        Peg

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Peg,
      I was happy to receive my first E.C. on a Hub not long ago. All that I can say is that it had the most views of my Hubs but the fewest comments and the E.C. did not change that. Perhaps my edits and the E.C. will give it a boost later. :-)

Hi Kevin,
        Congratulations on the EC award. I hope it serves to improve traffic or comments or both.
        Peg

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope so too, we will see. I did not opt out I just see it every day and get a great feel!

3. Genna East profile image83
      Genna Eastposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Peg...

Good question.  I've received a few of the EC selections but not enough to qualify for the ICON.  I was wondering if anyone had yet achieved the total number of 5 and received the ICON on their hub profile.

1. Victoria Anne profile image92
        Victoria Anneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Genna - I've received 9 EC selections so I have the badge on my profile. The one I have is for at least 5 EC hubs. I haven't really noticed a change in traffic either way so far.

Hi Victoria Anne, Congratulations on the 9 EC selections. I don't see much difference on mine either. Although, who knows, maybe traffic would be even worse without the HP domain instead of our sub domain.
          Peg

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Genna. I received the EC icon on my profile when I reached 5 ECs. When I opted out, the icon was taken off my profile. and off the hubs that earned them.  However, I do recall that Sheila Myers said the icons will be restored when you opt back in,which I think I will do when the 60 days is up.

Hi Phyllis, Interesting. I wonder if they will be restored automatically if we opt back in. Or does it go through the whole process of evaluation again. I've been in since the beginning. My count has remained stable for weeks with no new ones showing up.

I wonder what percent of Hubbers are in the program and how many total ECs the site has.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

Hi Peg. As far as I know, the EC hub and profile icons are restored automatically when opting back in.  I do not pay as much attention to how it has affected my traffic, but I believe my traffic has slowed down a little since I opted out  -- that could be because when I received an EC, I posted the notice of award on my network sites and got some traffic by doing that.

It would be interesting to know "what percent of Hubbers are in the program and how many total ECs the site has" -- I think that would be a plus for HP to publish.

Yes, Phyllis, that would be valuable information.
              Peg

3. PegCole17 profile image92

Hi Genna,
        Yes, I do. I've wondered if there is any advantage to it or is it a disadvantage, as Relache pointed out, making our hubs more vulnerable to theft.
        Strange that there is no news from headquarters as to any progress on the program or any studies of results that would give us direction, etc..
        Good to see you.
        Peg

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I think an Editor's Choice hub is something we should really be proud of. It is not just the HP team that gives the award, but other hubbers who nominate a hub for the award that should make us happy to know our work is recognized.

That's a good point, Phyllis. Our peers can nominate our hubs as well.
        Peg

5. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We just posted to the blog related to Editor's Choice.
      You can find the post here.
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/06/update … oice-hubs/

Hi, Matthew, I read the blog this morning and was glad to get the update from HQ. Thank you for posting the link here as well.

Peg
        smile

2. Au fait profile image83
    Au faitposted 9 years ago

I've been in since the beginning, still am.  I've listed my hubs that have been honored in one way or another by HP at the top of my profile page. I've been informed that doing that is in bad taste (by another hubber), but otherwise no one will know which ones are which.  I do have the accolades but that doesn't tell anyone which hubs received them.

Hi Au fait. I see on your bio where you've featured your EC hubs. Kudos. It's the only place anyone else will know yours have been selected as "special". I keep hoping for some improvement on traffic from the switch in the domain but I'm beginning to falter in my faith.

Au Fait, I do not see that listing your EC hubs on your profile is in bad taste at all. Everyone somehow, somewhere, promotes their own hubs and your way is great, I think.  We should list/promote our EC hubs, for that is something to be proud of. It also shows others that hard work pay off.

3. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've done the same Au Fait, I don't think it's bad taste at all. If Hub Pages give you any accolade you should be able to be proud of it and show others. There seem to be a lot of people here that tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing. It's so good if you are here just to write for pleasure and not really concerned about the money, because you can write your hubs anyway that pleases you.

Very well said, Jodah.  We also need to remember that we can vote to nominate a hub for EC. So, when I get an EC, I know a fellow hubber has nominated my hub and that is a good feeling. I agree, Jodah, we have a right to be proud.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

Hello Patty Inglish,
            Here's the blog post update from Paul Edmondson if you haven't seen it.
            http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/06/update … oice-hubs/
            Peg

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
              Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm OK with no accolade for it, if that occurs finally, and the good traffic increase I have consistently from it is worth the designation. Thanks!

Hi Patty, Yes, traffic is far more important than accolades. I'm glad to hear you are having good results. Good news is always welcomed.
                Peg

2. PegCole17 profile image92

I like that viewpoint, Jodah. Everyone has an opinion on what works. If we are here to hone our writing skills and express our views, then the money is of little consequence. Thankfully, I'm in it for the experience rather than the cash - but the cash is a nice incentive.

3. jhehe profile image90
    jheheposted 9 years ago

I only have one Editor's Choice so I don't know about the special distinction, but I have considered opting out of EC. I read a while back that another user decided to opt out of EC because he noticed his traffic decreased. Now if monetization is enabled, lower traffi means lower earnings. Perhaps you might want to take the risk of opting out if it can help boost your traffic. I have decided not to opt-out because my hub topic isn't very popular. It generally focuses on special interest groups so you might also want to take hub topic into consideration.

1. Au fait profile image83
      Au faitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't noticed any difference in my traffic on those EC hubs.  They seem to perform about the same as they always have.

Hi Jhehe, Nice to meet you. I see you have a lot of techie hubs on gadgets. That is a specific niche and will attract a special audience.
      As far as traffic goes, mine has remained about the same as it was after the Google Panda thing. No significant increase.
      Congratulations on your EC selection and all the best to you in your writing success here.
      Peg

1. jhehe profile image90
        jheheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Peg,

It looks like we are the lucky ones not affect by Google Panda. I read that some have been significantly affected by the change and even switched over to Squidoo. Really no clue what HP and Google are doing in the background.

4. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

I did receive a bog boost in traffic on one of my EC hubs, and it is still my best performing hub, which I link to others on the same subject. They receive a boost from it as well.

I like it!

Hi Solaras, Congratulations on the boost in traffic. Glad to hear from you.
      Peg

5. Torrs13 profile image89
    Torrs13posted 9 years ago

I haven't noticed any major differences in traffic on mine, so I'm happy to keep the Editor's Choice!

Me either Torrs13. It's hard to see any difference. I'm still undecided on whether to opt out or not.
      Peg

Peg, when I can opt back in, I will stay in the program. I feel it is a good incentive/motivation for me to continue creating the best hubs I can.  It is also very nice, gives me a good feeling, to see the award which tells me my hard work has been noticed and appreciated.

Phyllis, It does feel good to receive recognition for our hard work. Sometimes an accolade can inspire me to write more hubs as well. Thanks.
          Peg

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I don't mind having Hubs that are Edtior's Choices.

What I utterly fail to see is how promoting that fact is going to mean anything to the search engines where I get the bulk of my traffic, and thus I think accolades for this aren't worth the time it will take to design a graphic for it.

Making cute little awards to give to site users rather than what they want, which is more traffic and more money, seems really poorly thought out.  I would rather have much more clear retail reporting, which would actually allow me to fine-tune my Hubs and the relevancy of their content.  I would rather see admin get a freaking grip on the slew of ragingly poor content that still exists here.  They may think that the "feature" feature is great for hiding bad content from Google, but if I can still find crap content visible all over the site, so can other visitors and users and Google is watching them.

Hi Relache, I guess I was hoping for more than just another pretty accolade. I actually wondered if being under the Hub Pages domain again would bring back the traffic that has been severely lacking for some time now.
      As far as the "slew of ragingly poor content" that exists, it is rather disappointing to find it on a daily basis. The "feature" feature has driven off more quality writers than I can list here; people I looked forward to reading their latest work, even if it was poetry or short stories. We don't all fit into the mold of what's considered "quality" hubs based on the present standard. Quantity of words doesn't equal quality.

7. relache profile image72

I've felt the EC has been beneficial to my own Hub performance, but I'd prefer to not see that be turned into an easy way to point content thieves at the site's best content.

Relache, I was wondering if being under the Hub domain made us more visible than we would be under our sub domains. There are several copy cat sites that have come up as duplicate of the entire Hub site in various languages. I agree that it would identify our "best" hubs, or at least the ones HP likes, not necessarily our best performers.

8. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I'm still in, and have more than a dozen\ "chosen"... but haven't seen any new EC's on mine in a several weeks-- and haven't noticed much difference in traffic.
    So...?? as far as I can see it doesn't make much real difference.
    It's nice o know that an 'editor' has noticed a hub. other than that...???

Yes, it is nice to know an editor has noticed. Congratulations on the dozen plus, Rochelle. As writers, we need all the encouragement we can get.

9. relache profile image72

I have noticed a difference from the EC designation but I'm still gathering data on just how it performs. 

I will say this:  I know a few other sites which are restructuring content the same way, so that would seem to indicate the people who have access to larger data streams than we, who can see the big picture better seem to think they are seeing good results.

That's good information - a positive beacon of hope. Maybe we're heading in the right direction.

10. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I have three EC hubs Peg. They are quite old now and had good traffic and comments when I first published them, but get very little  traffic now. I do have others that are much more popular, but I am proud of any accolades I get whether they have any real importance or not. I haven't considered opting out even though there may be an increased chance of theft, because the topics I write about don't seem to be attractive to thieves. I think that happens more to Hubs of the Day anyway.

Hi Jodah, Sorry for the delay, my Internet was down this morning. Accolades are reinforcement of our accomplishments as writers and have value. Don't be fooled. Your hubs are at risk for theft. There are sites out there which have copied the entire Hub Pages format into other languages without any links to our work. I've found mine in Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Polish and other languages. Copy and paste any phrase from your hub into a Google search bar to see what comes up. You may be surprised.
      Peg

11. MartieCoetser profile image69
    MartieCoetserposted 9 years ago

Where do we see the list of Editor's Choices besides our own which are marked in our accounts?

When you open a EC hub, you can tell it is an
      EC hub because the URL has been changed and the hubbers handle or chosen name (mine is Au fait, for example) will not be in the URL.

Hello Au fait, You and I know this but, do visitors to Hub Pages know these nuances of how to determine if a hub has been designated as Editor's choice? I doubt it. I have wondered what the real benefit is and who benefits?

I can't say that I have benefitted all that much.  Like I said, my EC hubs seem to get about the same amount of traffic as EC hubs and they did before they were EC hubs.  HP is trying to build up their own name and I think they believe their name carries more recognition that each of our own names.  Since we get 60% of the earnings from the ads presumably both PH and ourselves would benefit from our EC hubs assuming they do get more traffic as a result.

It's really hard to determine if it has helped or not at this point with all the variables like summer traffic slow down, Panda, etc.. If it helps HP, then, it would probably help us, too.

Martie, I believe there is no list of EC hubs available to us. It sure would be nice to see that.

3. PegCole17 profile image92

Hi Martie, I think that's the only place to see Editor's Choice selections, other than checking the URL to see if the sub-domain is us or HubPages.
      Good to see you here. Thanks for dropping in to join the conversation.
      Peg

12. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Hi PegCole17. I've been out for months, didn't see any change or benefit to the six I received. I appreciated the recognition but never really had a clear understanding of its purpose. Maybe one day I'll opt back in but I'm not sure what the incentive would be.

Hi Janshares, I thought the recognition was nice too. But who can really tell that we've received this distinction? Sorry to hear you've been absent.
      Peg

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've been around, sorry for not being clear. I opted out of EC at the beginning of the year.

Oh, Janshares. I misunderstood you. Sorry. So you have not seen any improvement from dropping out of the program, then. That is interesting.

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say that, really don't recall specifically which probably means there was no measurable difference. The traffic increase I've had I think would have happened anyway with time and promotion of hubs.

13. Dallas Matier profile image86
    Dallas Matierposted 9 years ago

The way I see it, I can't really tell if the Editor's Choice label actually helps the chosen Hubs, in any way (I haven't noticed any real improvement on mine, at least) - but, it doesn't seem to be hurting those Hubs, either.

At the absolute worst, it's just the people in charge of HubPages making a token effort to hand out some more recognition to the people they think are producing good content. Even if that's all it is, there are many worse things than a pat on the back.

So, because of that, I don't really see any reason to opt out.

Yes, a pat on the back. Thanks for voicing your preferences and for the insightful comment Dallas Matier. Nice to meet you.
      Peg

14. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I never opted in for EC to begin with.  I know I could opt in, but I just have no desire to do so.  I could be making a mistake.  Who knows??

Mary615, It's really hard to know without reading about the results of the experiment. I keep hoping we'll have some data to go on.
      neutral

Hi Mary615, I'll imagine that with your quality of work, that you would receive quite a few EC awards.
      Peg

15. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

I've been meaning to write a blog post and give an update.  Shooting for this week.

Thank you for the blog post update, Paul Edmonson. It's good to know the program has seen some positive results.
      Peg

16. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

I only have one EC hub. It has received more views since chosen. Looking forward to Paul's blogpost.

Sue, Congratulations on your EC hub and it's results.
      Peg

17. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

What a blessing to be recognized by your peers... Congrats to all Editor's Choice winners!

Hi LeslieAdrienne, Thanks for the congratulations to EC winners!
      Peg

18. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Up about 2% sounds like probably not a significant outcome over a sample size of 20,000 hubs.

It's not a large increase in traffic, but at least it is an increase. I'll give it a little more time.
      Peg

19. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

I decided to opt out of EC after reading Paul's blog, as their are no benefits to authors, and the 'cream' would be better on my own strawberries.

Interesting reaction, Janderson99. I like the strawberries and cream reference.
      Peg

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'll be curious to hear if your "cream" actually stays creamy after the move back.

It's clear to me that some authors are seeing benefits from the program, while others aren't.  Part of why I'm staying in the EC is that I seem to be one of the few people with enough EC Hubs and non-EC Hubs in related topics that it's actually allowing me to compare the two.  Not only that but some of my EC Hubs used to perform differently, and so having them in the EC allows me to compare performance now to the past, and see what those changes are.

I've always taken part in experimental options here because it's the only way to have your own hard data on the situation instead of waiting around to get a non-specific summary weeks or months later.

Relache, Do you mind sharing the number of your hubs which are EC designated? I'm curious as to the percentage that you deem enough to make adequate comparisons. Mine stands at about 22 percent but most are in unrelated topics.

3. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

UPDATE: Since opting out of EC my overall traffic has increased 10% despite the seasonal downturn

20. relache profile image72

I just had the best July holiday weekend in two years.

1. Jodah profile image90

Glad you had a good break real he, we all need that now and then.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Since none of my Hubs fit in with this holiday specifically, I don't think of it so much as a good break and more the result of the work I've been doing over the last month.

1. Jodah profile image90

Ok

Congratulations, Relache, on a nice reward for your efforts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)