Were you born a writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (52 posts)
  1. misterhollywood profile image83
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

I am curious - how many of you think you were born to write? Have always enjoyed writing, ever since you can remember? Do you have to force boundaries on yourself in order that you take breaks from writing?

My own thought is that some people are born with a writing "chip". Are we freaks? smile

1. Emma Vine profile image72
      Emma Vineposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was always trying to write when I was a kid. Things come into my head and I have to get them down. I think I understand things better if I write it out so possibly it's a personal problem.

misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm the same way!!! Interesting.

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Come to think of it, writers are freaks. Someone once told me twenty five years ago that only mad people writer. At the time I was offended but they were right. You have to be a little crazy to be a writer....lol

I was born to write. I can't remember a time I didn't want to be a writer, or a time I wasn't scribbling.

Like your sense of humor. Behind every giggle is a bit of truth though, huh smile !! Thanks for sharing.

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was definitely not born a writer. I find writing extremely difficult and time consuming (I won't tell you how long it takes me to write a hub!) plus I've never really enjoyed the process, even at school.

The skill I was born with is the ability to teach - to break things down and make them simple - so I've used writing to meet that end.

smile

Oh come on - you have to tell now! How long does it take you to write a a hub from start to fish?

2. Barbara Kay profile image75
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm the same way. I am a teacher and was teaching my younger sisters how to read long before they went to school. Since I was young myself, I think I am more of a teacher even though I did a lot of writing as a child.

4. lady rain profile image93
      lady rainposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I am a born writer. I am writing because everybody seems to be doing it. smile

5. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if I was "born" to write, but I have only recently discovered that I am creative.  My creativity was stifled first by my parents and then by my now ex-husband.  They told me that I "wasn't good enough".  Now that the naysayers are all out of my life, I am enjoying trying new things to see what I enjoy doing without worrying about whether I am "good enough" at them.  Writing has always been something I've done, mainly journalling but as blogging took off, I started doing that which then led to more creative writing.

6. easylearningweb profile image86
      easylearningwebposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I always loved to write and as a young child, I loved to write stories and poems. I still have some of my original works. As a teenager I remember writing pages and pages of stories and experiences I was going through in my life. 

Does anyone remembers John Boy from The Waltons and how he loved to write but he used to hide his writing under his mattress? I always remember that. I think a lot of us have the ability and interest but sometimes don't have the confidence. Hubpages is a great place to start to showcase some writing, and it has definitely boosted my self confidence and I'm writing more.

Good luck to all of us writers. :-)

2. goatfury profile image92
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I have always enjoyed writing. I'm also an only child. Coincidence?

It will be interesting to see if others have that same characteristic. I have a twin brother and we are both writers. Lol

2. misterhollywood profile image83

goatfury....

FYI I just read a few of your hubs. Impressive. Have you ever thought of becoming a psychologist or counselor? Just curious because I can see these skills in your background.

1. goatfury profile image92
        goatfuryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I haven't really considered that, but I honestly think I could be pretty good at it (with the proper training, of course!).  Thanks for checking out the hubs.  Which one did you like the best?

3. lisavollrath profile image89
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've been writing since I was eight years old---and, I'm also an only child. smile

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Ah haha -- I do not think we are freaks, but we may be eccentric at times if not always.  I believe I was born a writer because it just came natural to me. I remember writing my first story on a roll of butcher paper. My Dad brought home a large roll of butcher paper because my sister and I loved to draw and color. My sister did most of the drawing and I wrote for two years or so on that roll. I wish I still had that. It would be interesting to read it, for I cannot remember it all. Since I can remember, I have loved the great writers of the past and always read everything I could on William B. Yeats, Poe, Emerson, Oscar Wilde, and so many others. I have always loved to write.

Hi, Phyllis!

I loved your personal story and think its so cool you remember your writing experience. Yep, you were born to write!!!

I don't recall my first writing experience but I do know that ever since I can remember, I was drawn to the pen (now a keyboard).

What's interesting is how so many writers are introverts BUT when it comes to writing, they are total extroverts (in terns of self-expression).

A friend of mine said it's all about your zodiac sign. Who knows!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OMGosh, misterhollywood, you may be right. I am basically an introvert, but not when it comes to writing. I am a Capricorn.  I wonder if your friend is right about zodiac signs and writers. That is very interesting.

Capricorns are the hardest working people I know! goats LOVE to climb to the top through good old fashioned work. I know that sounds really corny but it's kind of tru3.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
            Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are right about Capricorns. I have worked hard all my life and since I retired have put all my creative passion into writing and beading.  Both endeavors stem from the strong affinity I have to Native Americans plus spirituality and history.

4. Alli Rose profile image63
    Alli Roseposted 9 years ago

No, I didn't really start writing until I went to Iraq. I am a female, and a former Marine. I was very talkative, and outgoing, but my Humvee hit an improvised explosive device (IED). I now have a traumatic brain disease,  lost an appendix, gall bladder (eh, who needs them?) and an ovary. My partner and best friend died right beside me. I have never been the same, nor ever want to be. I can talk normal for the most part, maybe with a slight slur, and I forget nouns. This has caused me to be more inflective, which is not worse than being outgoing, just different. For many years, I could not talk about what happened, now I feel it cathartic.

Don't feel bad for me, that would be the worse. I love my life, and it is what I make it to be, just like everybody else.

Alli,

Thanks for sharing and more important, thanks for your service. I must say I was deeply moved by what you wrote. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose someone so close. I am sure something like what you described would wreck most people. Your personal story is one of resilience and inspiration. I'm going over to check out your hubs now. Thanks again for sharing.

5. Amaima Yawar Khan profile image54
    Amaima Yawar Khanposted 9 years ago

(Y)

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

No.  I only came here because I was trawling the internet looking to make some easy money.

Well, everyone has different motivations. That is why I was curious about the question, if people are born to write. Thanks for sharing!

7. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image84
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

No, I am not a born writer. It was my reading habit that made me a writer.

1. Marie Flint profile image73
      Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same here, Sanjay. Actually, I think I was born to pull weeds!

8. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I was a writer before I could actually write.  One of my favorite stories from my childhood was how I would scribble out "words" on lined paper and then read my stories back to my grandparents.  For me at least, I think it's hard wired.  I wasn't an only child, but I was a lonely child.  My sibling didn't come along until I was 10.  I was also a very early reader - naturally, it wasn't pushed onto me, but I was reading by the time I was 4.  That could have something to do with it to I suppose smile.

What a fun personal story. Love reading this! I do think some people are born with a desire to write. Other folks get the additional blessing of being able to write. Ha:)

9. JenwithFlash profile image60
    JenwithFlashposted 9 years ago

I'm not a born writer but my 14 year old daughter has been writing for a long time now.  She has written stories that are hundreds of pages long.  I find pages with long character lists on them and the first "short" story she submitted for 4-H was 23 pages long. She doesn't really like to share her stories with me much (probably because I like to edit them) but the pages that I've read so far have been pretty darn good. She really has a passion for it so I think she's a born writer.

It sounds like writing may be something that runs in the family then? Love the story about daughter! She likely as the "chip".

2. Marie Flint profile image73
      Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jen, my daughter doesn't like my corrections, either!

10. Susan Zutautas profile image80
    Susan Zutautasposted 9 years ago

Funny because I just took a quiz on Facebook called "What Career Are You Meant For", and I got writer. I've always wanted to be a writer and when I was a small child I would pretend that I was a famous writer.

Susan, my sense is that you came out of the womb a writer! You have confirmation from the universe everywhere. I love hearing these stories. Thanks for the share!

2. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I took that same quiz and also got writer.

3. Brite-Ideas profile image95
      Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Susan and that's what drew me to this in the first place was your posted poll quiz smile

11. deathwalk60 profile image59
    deathwalk60posted 9 years ago

I've been writing since I was eight years old in a composition journal. I was writing flash fiction and poetry.  At times, I had to take breaks from my writing to reword my life.  I use my writing to combat and aid me to live with bipolar disorder.  I write in my composition journal, poetry, personal essays, short stories, and in my blog.  All of it helps to keep me our of the mental ward,

Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling many of us have found writing to be an oasis that we can retreat to as part of our self-care activities!

12. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

"Were you born a writer?"

More like hatched...

When? Five years ago, come this October.

Where? Behind the building at 95 Minna Street, San Francisco.

Why? Destiny.

I love it!

13. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 9 years ago

I don't know that I was born to write, but I did start writing as a child. I loved both reading and writing and still do. They were/are a major part of my life. If I couldn't find any paper to write on when I was a child, I would compose my stories by talking to myself and then write them down later.

I am not a psychic but everything you are saying here tells me you were born to write. LOL, I don't think you had a choice. I bet if you look at some of your baby pictures, you will find a pen and paper nearby:)

14. Brite-Ideas profile image95
    Brite-Ideasposted 9 years ago

funny, I was just thinking about this - I remember when I was a little kid (maybe grade 5 or 6), the teacher went around the classroom and asked what you were going to be when you grew up, I said 'A Writer' - then when asked again in later grades, I changed it to Artist, Lawyer, Psychologist, in that order - and I am now doing what my most youngest version of self said, I Write. Maybe the kid in us does know best sometimes.

Brite-Ideas,

I thought the story you shared was really cute. I also think you are right about the little kid in us kind of knowing best!

1. Brite-Ideas profile image95
        Brite-Ideasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

thank you, my reply below was suppose to be here, sorry smile

15. Brite-Ideas profile image95
    Brite-Ideasposted 9 years ago

makes me think about the first things my boys said when they were little (other than a Firetruck, lol) - hmmm..number 3 said 'A Priest' - he's quite a ways away from being that! - maybe later in life he'll head in that direction. I will not confess to him! lol

16. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Through experience we all have a story. Having a gift to share your story makes some people great writers. I enjoy writing however... I really prefer writing about comedy.I prefer laughing.

Thanks for sharing. Yes - laughing is always best for sure!!

17. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I think I was a born writer and not an only child either! I was a total bookworm as a teenager and attempted to write The Great Australian Novel (failing miserably) but loved writing poetry and wrote hundreds of very involved poems that people seemed to like.

It got to the point where I was winning awards, being paid $50 for publication and spouting poetry drunkenly on stage, but couldn't focus on a different career (needed because I needed to pay the rent), so let it go for a bit. Hubpages is the writing revival in me and I am discovering that I am able to produce longer texts these days with ageing and maturity. Some days it feels like work and other days I am burning with desire to make hubs.

I am a bit of a patchwork blanket, also having skills in maths, biology, art and so on. I work as a graphic designer for my day job.

Really great story and thanks for sharing. I have to say that I share the same feelings you do about writing. Some days it feels like work (a chore lol) and other times I am motivated beyond belief. If only it could be a burning desire to do it everyday.

18. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 9 years ago

I don't think I am a born writer. My short stories in my mother tongue Tamil got published from my age 19 to 32. A couple of my English articles got published in magazines when I was around 30.  Subsequently it looked as if it is an uphill task to get published in printed magazines, and my interest waned.

Then I came across blogging and web content writing sometime at my age 49. The idea of getting "instantly published" was a great attraction to me! Then I started writing quite a lot. Some 500+ articles in Helium, some 30-40 in Suite101, some 100+  articles in Hubpages and a few tens in other sundry places and blogs. Only Hubpages is surviving now!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)