Back Up Your Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image39
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

There was a major earthquake today (6.1) just north of HubPages' office and hosting server location.  It might be a good time to backup your Hubs.

1. TDowling profile image61
      TDowlingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I create all my Hubs in Word and I those documents are saved. But many times I revise my Hubs online and the Word documents don't reflect those edits. Do you have a suggestion for quickly backing up our Hubs?

Thanks,
      -TD

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can just go to your Hub online, highlight the whole thing, and copy and paste it to a word document each time you make a change.  It takes less than a minute to do it that way.  Then, right click and save all your images to your Pictures file.

You can also save the page as a webpage, but you'll get the coding that way, too, which you may not want.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
          LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. BTW good luck I hope you get the HP nomination for most helpful and keep safe!

1. Jean Bakula profile image88
            Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I write all my work on Word and back it up on a flash drive. We've had quite a few computer crashes over the years, and lost important documents, so I don't take chances anymore. I back up everything. Plus I can edit anything or do a big rewrite and save it too.

This is the last Dell computer I ever will buy.

2. Writer Fox profile image39

Thank you, Louis!  I think you will win Best Photographer.

2. NateB11 profile image85
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

There's an add-on for Firefox called ScrapBook. It allows you to download all your Hubs to your computer, all at once. There's a great tutorial created by a Hubber on Youtube on how to use it right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aUmTRrEsyE

1. Jean Bakula profile image88
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Nate, that's worth looking into.

1. NateB11 profile image85
            NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

No problem, Jean. It's a good add-on, I use it to back-up my hubs and articles from my own sites. It saves the articles exactly as they are. Important to do it right and not save everything, just the articles; but that's easy, you just unclick/click the right boxes to save the right things.

2. lobobrandon profile image82
      lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow! But I'm guessing a site as big as hubpages would have backups elsewhere too? Nonetheless, it would be nice if they worked on a quick backup tool that scrapes text.

Hi Brandon, I don't know what arrangements HP has made for backing up the site.  I've never seen a post from Paul Deeds about that.  Maybe when he comes in on Monday he'll see this thread.  (They are expecting aftershocks. . .)

1. lobobrandon profile image82
          lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yup look forward to what he has to say smile Checking the news now about the quake

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just save all my stuff in an email because I have so much on my desktop (or sometimes in word saved in email; either way) and I fear of having my desktop wiped out someday; has happened before and I lost great pictures.

You can get free backup online for all your files here:
        http://mozy.com/

You just download their free program and your files will automatically be backed up once a day.  If your computer crashes, you just go to the website and download all of your files or they will mail you a CD.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
          Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow; thanks.

2. Sue Adams profile image90
          Sue Adamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To back up with mozy you have to first download all your hubs to your computer. You can download your entire sub-domain (hubs, pictures, videos, comments & all) with a free program called HTTrack Website Copier from http://www.httrack.com/. Once that's done you can use mozy to back up your computer online.
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9206973_f248.jpg
          I use  HTTrack Website Copier rather than scrapbook because it is not Firefox dependent.

1. Chinaimport profile image75
            Chinaimportposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HTTrack Website Copier works with Windows/Linux.  I would have to search something similar in the Mac world.

1. Sue Adams profile image90

Here a website copier for Mac:
              http://deepvacuum.en.softonic.com/mac
              http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9207000_f248.jpg
              Again, I would use that to download the sub-domain, and then install mozi to automatically back up your computer on a daily basis.

1. Chinaimport profile image75
                Chinaimportposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot, Sue Adams.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image86
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I always save my hubs as a webpage. that way I have the photos and formatting too. The sudden demise of Squidoo was a good wake-up call for me.

1. firstday profile image60
        firstdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sherry,
          Good idea…

2. profile image0
    Peggy Jamesposted 10 years ago

I take a screen shot of the page. Guess that's similar to saving the webpage. It's convenient and fail proof.

1. chasmac profile image77
      chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can't copy and paste from a screenshot. If you ever need to repost any content that's been lost, you'll have to do it from the screenshot manually - letter by letter, word for word. Not very convenient at all.

Re:"I take a screen shot of the page. Guess that's similar to saving the webpage. It's convenient and fail proof."

That's exactly what I was thinking when reading that reply. A screenshot is an image file that only shows the visible part of the screen. Completely useless for backup purposes.

3. Michael Kismet profile image87
    Michael Kismetposted 10 years ago

I live in the area, and definitely felt it WHILE I was on Hubpages.  smile  That is an astute observation, but I already back up all my articles, but thanks for your concern for the collective!

4. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 10 years ago

Darn Sue if I had not already voted you would have got most helpful…I have a mac..

Thank you firstday but I'm not really interested in Tshirts and mugs.

5. firstday profile image60

I wrote D A R N and the new spell checker changed it sorry if anyone is insulted…oh my word I'm out.  Besides that I am sure that is correct spelling of that word.

6. firstday profile image60

Sue it was intended as a joke….I voted for someone else whether they want the recognition or not I hope they get it…a mug would be nice.

7. profile image54
    mattramzzzposted 10 years ago

Here in urban suburban Washington, DC, we do experience seismic activity. Its not been, in the past 10-12 years, very profound tremors; however, there have been tremors, none the less.

8. mary615 profile image95
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I learned the hard way the importance of backing up all my documents from Word where all my Hubs are written. 

I got a Trojan Horse from opening an attached letter that came by email.  It looked like a legitimate site!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)