jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)

Back Up Your Hubs

1. Writer Fox profile image61
    Writer Foxposted 3 years ago

There was a major earthquake today (6.1) just north of HubPages' office and hosting server location.  It might be a good time to backup your Hubs.

1. TDowling profile image80
      TDowlingposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I create all my Hubs in Word and I those documents are saved. But many times I revise my Hubs online and the Word documents don't reflect those edits. Do you have a suggestion for quickly backing up our Hubs?

Thanks,
      -TD

Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You can just go to your Hub online, highlight the whole thing, and copy and paste it to a word document each time you make a change.  It takes less than a minute to do it that way.  Then, right click and save all your images to your Pictures file.

You can also save the page as a webpage, but you'll get the coding that way, too, which you may not want.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image90
          LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. BTW good luck I hope you get the HP nomination for most helpful and keep safe!

1. Jean Bakula profile image100
            Jean Bakulaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I write all my work on Word and back it up on a flash drive. We've had quite a few computer crashes over the years, and lost important documents, so I don't take chances anymore. I back up everything. Plus I can edit anything or do a big rewrite and save it too.

This is the last Dell computer I ever will buy.

2. Writer Fox profile image61

Thank you, Louis!  I think you will win Best Photographer.

2. NateB11 profile image96
        NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

There's an add-on for Firefox called ScrapBook. It allows you to download all your Hubs to your computer, all at once. There's a great tutorial created by a Hubber on Youtube on how to use it right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aUmTRrEsyE

1. Jean Bakula profile image100
          Jean Bakulaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Nate, that's worth looking into.

1. NateB11 profile image96
            NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

No problem, Jean. It's a good add-on, I use it to back-up my hubs and articles from my own sites. It saves the articles exactly as they are. Important to do it right and not save everything, just the articles; but that's easy, you just unclick/click the right boxes to save the right things.

2. lobobrandon profile image91
      lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wow! But I'm guessing a site as big as hubpages would have backups elsewhere too? Nonetheless, it would be nice if they worked on a quick backup tool that scrapes text.

Hi Brandon, I don't know what arrangements HP has made for backing up the site.  I've never seen a post from Paul Deeds about that.  Maybe when he comes in on Monday he'll see this thread.  (They are expecting aftershocks. . .)

1. lobobrandon profile image91
          lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yup look forward to what he has to say smile Checking the news now about the quake

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image92
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I just save all my stuff in an email because I have so much on my desktop (or sometimes in word saved in email; either way) and I fear of having my desktop wiped out someday; has happened before and I lost great pictures.

You can get free backup online for all your files here:
        http://mozy.com/

You just download their free program and your files will automatically be backed up once a day.  If your computer crashes, you just go to the website and download all of your files or they will mail you a CD.

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image92
          Jackie Lynnleyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wow; thanks.

2. Sue Adams profile image94
          Sue Adamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

To back up with mozy you have to first download all your hubs to your computer. You can download your entire sub-domain (hubs, pictures, videos, comments & all) with a free program called HTTrack Website Copier from http://www.httrack.com/. Once that's done you can use mozy to back up your computer online.
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9206973_f248.jpg
          I use  HTTrack Website Copier rather than scrapbook because it is not Firefox dependent.

1. Chinaimport profile image89
            Chinaimportposted 3 years agoin reply to this

HTTrack Website Copier works with Windows/Linux.  I would have to search something similar in the Mac world.

1. Sue Adams profile image94

Here a website copier for Mac:
              http://deepvacuum.en.softonic.com/mac
              http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9207000_f248.jpg
              Again, I would use that to download the sub-domain, and then install mozi to automatically back up your computer on a daily basis.

1. Chinaimport profile image89
                Chinaimportposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot, Sue Adams.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image98
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I always save my hubs as a webpage. that way I have the photos and formatting too. The sudden demise of Squidoo was a good wake-up call for me.

1. firstday profile image60
        firstdayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sherry,
          Good idea…

2. profile image0
    Peggy Jamesposted 3 years ago

I take a screen shot of the page. Guess that's similar to saving the webpage. It's convenient and fail proof.

1. chasmac profile image98
      chasmacposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You can't copy and paste from a screenshot. If you ever need to repost any content that's been lost, you'll have to do it from the screenshot manually - letter by letter, word for word. Not very convenient at all.

Re:"I take a screen shot of the page. Guess that's similar to saving the webpage. It's convenient and fail proof."

That's exactly what I was thinking when reading that reply. A screenshot is an image file that only shows the visible part of the screen. Completely useless for backup purposes.

3. Michael Kismet profile image96
    Michael Kismetposted 3 years ago

I live in the area, and definitely felt it WHILE I was on Hubpages.  smile  That is an astute observation, but I already back up all my articles, but thanks for your concern for the collective!

4. firstday profile image60
    firstdayposted 3 years ago

Darn Sue if I had not already voted you would have got most helpful…I have a mac..

Thank you firstday but I'm not really interested in Tshirts and mugs.

5. firstday profile image60

I wrote D A R N and the new spell checker changed it sorry if anyone is insulted…oh my word I'm out.  Besides that I am sure that is correct spelling of that word.

6. firstday profile image60

Sue it was intended as a joke….I voted for someone else whether they want the recognition or not I hope they get it…a mug would be nice.

7. profile image59
    mattramzzzposted 3 years ago

Here in urban suburban Washington, DC, we do experience seismic activity. Its not been, in the past 10-12 years, very profound tremors; however, there have been tremors, none the less.

8. mary615 profile image96
    mary615posted 3 years ago

I learned the hard way the importance of backing up all my documents from Word where all my Hubs are written. 

I got a Trojan Horse from opening an attached letter that came by email.  It looked like a legitimate site!

working