Hubs indexed in Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

I have had a real drop in views over the past few weeks, and as others have too, I just presumed it was Google panda or the usual drop we often get. But I decided to check in google search, and something strange has happened. I can't find many of my hubs. I have only checked a few so far but they are not showing at all.

The strange thing is that when I put in the title or even copy and pasted a paragraph from each hub, they only show up if someone has copied my hubs!

Any ideas? or should I say, Help! thanks

1. vocalcoach profile image93
      vocalcoachposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, this isn't good.  I'd better check on my hubs too as I have several listed on the first page.

2. bushaex profile image83
      bushaexposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While this is hopefully a temporary hiccup, the latest Google search algorithm changes have been widely reported as involving extensive de-indexing of sites such as blog networks. Google never confirms things like this until much later, so informed speculation is our only recourse for now. Over a year ago, Google published a lengthy list of sites that appeared to be a preliminary group for possible de-indexing — HubPages (and Squidoo) were among several dozen prominent sites included. I have always felt that was Google's way of providing a warning of what was to come. Then again, with algorithm adjustments, there are periodic disappearances that manage to reappear within a few days.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I must have missed that post by Google - do you have a link?  It would be interesting to see.

1. bushaex profile image83
          bushaexposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not have the link at my fingertips or I would have included it or at least mentioned some additional sites on the preliminary hit list. I am going from memory. I recall reviewing the list several times in disbelief when I saw Squidoo and HubPages. That is old news at this point, however — it would only be fitting if Google has also de-indexed that page, too!

3. QuoteAmber profile image93
      QuoteAmberposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My stats have been way, way down this last week as well, but I just googled my top two hubs and they showed up. It's hard to tell if it was just a few days glitch because hubpages hasn't updated my stats in almost 3 days

I hope it isn't as bushaex said and I hope google hasn't possibly shut hubpages out, because almost all of my views come from google.

4. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did a search on my Hp name. The first few google pages were all Pinterest links to my articles. A couple pages further the HP articles started showing up.
      I guess this means Pinterest is outranking HP.

5. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am reviewing my hubs and updating them. I noticed that they are still indexed highly by Google, occupying the first two slots in the Google ladder, but the traffic is down by 75 percent. I did not think that I will be affected by the migration since all my hubs are about the local (Philippines) scene. However, I am still getting a beating, and I am now hesitant to do another submission. sad

6. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nell, sorry to hear about your hub issues.  I just entered 'site:yourprofileURL', and it shows 307 results, which are your hubs.  Maybe the 404's appeared when the servers were moved/down and they weren't able to retrieve the hubs?  But Glenn answered that one. G wouldn't report those.

I also just entered in quotes two of your hub titles and found them at the top of the search.

7. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just checked one of your Hubs and it is indexed by Google.
      https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A … channel=sb

If you do a search of the full url following "site:" you can get the same result for any URL.

This lets you know that the Hub is indexed in Google and that they, perhaps, are choosing to rank other content higher than in the past.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

My top ranking hub has disappeared as well.  However, the three below it in rank are showing in Google.  The ranking I am speaking of is the rank on "my account" page here on HP.

3. KathyMcGraw2 profile image67
    KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years ago

I checked a few of mine that had good position on G,and can't find them at all.  Same as you.

4. lisavollrath profile image88
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Mine are still holding steady.

5. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

as more and more information becomes available on the internet, google will continue to sift through it all to find the information they find most valuable. it is the nature of the beast. online writing isn't easy, especially when they are constantly changing the algorithms on us.

6. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

One of my hubs iS at the top of its search term and is still there, another dropped two slots, but I changed its name at the height of panic.

7. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

I just checked a couple of my hubs that had reduced traffic in the last 24 hours and they are still indexed. But I only checked a couple. I'm suspecting that Google may be de-indexing hubs when it fails to find them due to the delays with loading webpages from HP, which has been happening ever since they started migrating to the new data location. Sometimes these load problems only affect loading images, but I also ran into problems loading entire pages. This is not good when a Google bot runs into the same problem.

Here's the post about the migration...
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2646837

1. Solaras profile image94
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am running into "this web site is not available" for hours at a time.  Not good if Google stores that as a "no." An uncomfortable reminder of Bubblews...

2. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ Glenn I have several that cannot be found that have a 404 in Google Webmaster Tools. Isn't Webmaster Tools supposed to notify individuals if a penalty exists from an algorithm update? I remember Paul told us at one time to check on this factor at WT.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google reporting a 404 error on your hubs is a more serious problem. Did you try accessing the hubs yourself by placing the URL into your browser? If you get a 404 that way, then this indicates it was deleted. I would report this to HP in the Technical Problems forum.

Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glenn I will go check the urls too in google

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

I just checked my Google Webmaster Tools and I have a lot of hubs with 404 and 410 errors. But they are all hubs that I had deleted in the past. So it is correct to have a 404 or 410 status code. So with that said, did you notice if those hubs of yours were hubs you deleted? If so, then nothing to worry about.

Here's an article explaining how Google treats 404 and 410 status code errors…

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/23 … atus-Codes

I haven't deleted any hubs glenn, thats the scary part!

1. Susana S profile image90
            Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

404 errors mean the page was unavailable, not necessarily deleted.

Hubpages has had problems with site accessibility this last week or so, so that would account for the 404's.

Susana, please correct me if I'm wrong, but according to Matt Cuts at Google, 404 means the page was "not found" - this is different from "unavailable."

The server issues the 404 status. That can only be done when the server is responding. The problem we've had in the past few days is that the server has accessibility problems and becomes unresponsive at times. Google would not get a 404 status under those conditions. The bots would check again several times before de-indexing.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Well, it was brakel2 who said she had 404 status errors. But it was not clear on what. Are you saying you have them too? And since you had never deleted any hubs, are you saying the 404 errors are on existing hubs?

3. Nell Rose profile image91

Yep Glenn that thought did cross my mind too, thanks

4. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glen, the slow load time is mostly impacting signed in users. Please see my post in this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2647409

Marina, Thank you for that info. I just read your other post -- that gives the detail everyone in this thread needs to know.

I never doubted that staff is working on it, and I appreciate all the hard work. As you can see above, the discussion here has turned mostly towards a report from two others that they are getting 404 status errors on hubs. And I'm trying to help clarify if they were looking at old hubs that they might have deleted. Google reports those in Webmaster Tools and I'm trying to explain (above) that it is not meant to indicate a problem.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
          Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Aha, got it. I appreciate the clarification. smile Thanks, Glenn.

8. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

All my articles are still there on google but my traffic has still gone down by more than 50%.

9. Colleen Swan profile image92
    Colleen Swanposted 9 years ago

I run some niche sites as well as my hubs, and I noticed that these niche sites pages have risen above many of the big players. I have not noticed any change in hub traffic yet.

10. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 9 years ago

Thanks everybody for answering my question, it would be nice if hub staff could give us an answer so we stop panicking? thanks

I'm still thinking that all these problems are related to the migration of HubPages to the new data center, as Marina Lazarevic reported.

In addition, my Google Webmaster Tools shows that the response time to download hubs increased from an average of 243 milliseconds throughout August, to a high of 685 ms on 9/27/2014. I consider that slow and it may affect ranking.

Thanks again Glenn, I did find most of my hubs, but there were quite a few missing, but now I know whats going on it does make sense. I am sure hubstaff are working their butts of to solve it all for us, so I am just going to sit back and wait, I am sure it will be sorted soon.

2. Judy Filarecki profile image72
        Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glenn, you seem to have an understanding of google webmaster tool so maybe you can answer this question or someone else can. When I check index status, it says there is nothing indexed. I have 41 hubs.

It does show me keywords and all sorts of other information about my hubs, but none are indexed. Is there something I'm supposed to do?

It also talks about a sitemap. Do we have a sitemap through HP?

It also says to verify my HP site with www  in front of it, but it says there is no such thing. Should I just ignore that recommendation?

Sorry for so many questions. I'm hope someone can help clarify this for me.
        Judy

Judy, First of all, make sure you linked your GWT to your Analytics? Assuming you did, click on "Google Index > Index Status on the left.  You should see a graph showing how your indexing has changed over time.  If you want to see the individual hubs, look in your Google Analytics.

We had a lengthy discussion about the sitemaps in another forum. When HP moved to a new server recently, they moved all the sitemaps into a separate domain. They are no longer in our own subdomain. So you can't specify your sitemap anymore in your GWT.

HubPages does not use www in front of their URL. If you use it on the top domain, you will see that your browser changes it to just "hubpages.com" without the www. If you use it on your subdomain, you will get a 404 not found error. So don't use www in any case with HP.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Always glad to help when I can.

1. janderson99 profile image54
            janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

IMO, the best way to check on Index status for a sub is to do a search for "site:" followed by the subdomain url. The webmasters listing is very unreliable and can be out of date, in my experience. Adding part of a title such as 'Simplifying Mixing Colors" can be used to check whether an individual hub has been indexed.

That's a good method, and no need to log into GWT. There's another benefit in doing it as janderson99 says - you get to see how well your summary is used. If you see "…" at the end then that means it was too long. Both Bing and Google cut off at 160 characters even though HP allows up to 200 characters in your summary.

Thanks for all  the answers to my so many questions. I'll have to check to see if I have  it link to analytics. I know I have it in both analytics and webmaster, but I'm sure if that links them or not. When I click on index status it just shows a flat line and 0 indexes. I'll also take a look at the link to the other forum discussion you mentioned. I really appreciate your time.

1. janderson99 profile image54
              janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

do a search with this after replacing (dot)s with.
              (store it as a bookmark)

site:judyfilarecki(dot)hubpages(dot)com

simply add a title, or part of it, to see if it is indexed

site:judyfilarecki(dot)hubpages(dot)com Simplifying Mixing Color

Good News. Last night I went into the google fetch tool that someone had mentioned and added my HP address and low and behold. I just checked the index status in Webmaster, and I am now indexed there so I can see the graft. I know I was indexed prior because I could call it up on search, but it just wasn't recording in webmaster. Thank you both for you help and suggestion.

11. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Thanks Glenn for info. I found one hub so far of the missing ones. I hope things get better., as so many hubbers squids have problems.

12. Arachnea profile image66
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

I don't think my hubs have made it to Google yet.

1. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
      Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're not alone.  Nothing is showing in Google for me and I had a few that were high ranked on page one...poof, gone, see ya now.  Damn discouraging doesn't begin to describe it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)