jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)

WTH Happened to the front page/new feed???

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

I was online this morning, and everything looked normal.

I signed back in this afternoon, and it's all changed!  Everything is in a boring, straight-down-the-page list format, with NO link to see about HOTD choices, no "status" box; no feeds on who commented on a hub, HP blog/learning center posts mixed up with everything else...etc..  It's a mixed-up boring-looking mess!

I don't know who designed this new layout, but I truly hope it is temporary:  I hate it!

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes! And mine is full of poetry. Don't get me wrong, I like a limerick or two, but come on.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have the same problem and just emailed Team Support. I cannot get to the NewsFeed page. When I click on HubPages on top left it takes me to the list of hubs: HubPages All Topics.

Very frustrating!!!

3. ezhang profile image
      ezhangposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi DzyMsLizzy,

You can find a link to the feed in the drop down under the "explore" navigation section at the top of the page. I hope that helps!

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ok, thanks..but why???  Why make us have to click on something to get our feed back?
        IMO, that came under "if it ain't broke; don't fix it!"

1. brakel2 profile image85
          brakel2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

It is terrible to suddenly have surprises when you have other things going on in your life like we all do.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

ezhang - Rather than causing a LOT of confusion and frustration WHY were we not informed this change was coming?

This is a very rude and unprofessional way to make a change. If we had known before it happened, before you played around with a new idea that must have been fun for you, I would not have to get upset, think something is wrong with my computer, thinking my computer had a virus, sign off, sign back on, look in Help, check FAQ for answers,  sign off/on again, pull my hair out, have another un-needed cup of coffee to take a needed break with then try again only to be further frustrated and getting angry!!!!

PLEASE - when major changes are made INFORM US BEFORE IT IS POPPED IN.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I even had to run a virus check to see if I had a bug in my computer.

You may be ez hanging - but it was not fun or productive for us.

3. profile image0
        TheBizWhizposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This new homepage stinks. I liked to log in and immediately have my own personalized feed. Not log in, see stuff I don't want, then click to where I was wanting to go in the first place.

Can we please go back to the way is was before?

I agree and believe that the feed should go back to its prominent usual position. If some spammy hubs are among the good ones on that page, we don't want them to be there. Please, staff, help us. You have done a great job setting up the feed and should be proud of that page.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92

I SO agree!!!  Please put it back!

4. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm.  It's interesting.  The format reminds me of Reddit, a little.  I think there's potential for an internal traffic boost.  Maybe we ought to see where it goes.

2. thumbi7 profile image83
    thumbi7posted 2 years ago

I miss the good old 'hubpages feed'

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

I'm see ing the same thing, now on my desktop-- though my iPad was normal. WHY?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Now it is back to usual. It was kind of nice to see other stuff for a while,

Not 'back to usual' here.  Still have to use the danged menu drop-down to get things to appear as they used to!

Right MsLizzy - it is not back to normal.

4. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

Hi, really it is very unpleasant. When you click the Hubpages logo on left, it is a very boring page with a long list of topics and nothing else. Who will like this design of our lovely site now?
    I have to now click the explore "feed" button to see my original nice page that I like so much. We poor hubbers!!!

Yes, poor poor hubbers. They keep changing the way we like it best.

5. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

It looks like we now have to go to "explore" and select "feed" to see our feed.

I think the new front page is a way to entice Hubbers to read more Hubs.  As others have said, it's a pity they couldn't announce it first before it was launched.

You are right, Marisa. I finally found information about this change hidden in the blog:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/08/06/the … -redesign/

Since the title does not reflect the feed page and the feed page is no longer the front page I did not see the blog till just a short while ago - and that was only because I was curious what the new design looked like.

I like the new design and find it much easier to research hubs. And, it is placed on the front page to, as you say, "entice Hubbers to read more Hubs".  I just wish they had informed us before the change in the forums.

6. word55 profile image80
    word55posted 2 years ago

Yes, we must click at top left on explore> and feed in order for it to revert to the page we are used to seeing.

7. TedWritesStuff profile image86
    TedWritesStuffposted 2 years ago

Actually what it has highlighted to me is the number of low quality, spammy hubs that exist. Scroll down the page and click on a few with dubious intro's. All were low quality, spam.....sigh

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
      Barbara Kayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I noticed a lot of spam too.

1. Buildreps profile image95
        Buildrepsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's certainly true. Tons of poor Hubs. It has some similarities with Bubblews, maybe that's why Google started to dislike HP...

2. sockii profile image85
      sockiiposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Bingo.

I should think that the front page of a site like HubPages should feature an assortment of some of the newest AND best hubs on the site. As it is now, if someone were to randomly land on the front page right now, one could easily come away with the impression that the site is nothing but spam content, broken English, random Q&As and not curated at all.

1. Kylyssa profile image95
        Kylyssaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Brand new hubs are the last thing you want a brand new visitor to HubPages to see.

8. Buildreps profile image95
    Buildrepsposted 2 years ago

That's a great improvement! It's now much easier to look for new interesting Hubs to read and Hubbers to follow.

And why do all change have to be introduced before implemented? Just explore some of the buttons and you'll find out how to get around again.

I noticed that the stat's are updated more frequently. And that's an improvement as well!

Many people spent time trying to figure it out, thought they had a virus, said they tore their hair out. You are fortunate that you figure innovations out quickly. Oh well, everyone survived.

2. Molly Layton profile image89
      Molly Laytonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

For you, it works, but some the hubs I've been getting with the new layout make me uncomfortable. The layout feels squished to the left side of the screen.

9. RTalloni profile image84
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/08/06/the … -redesign/

Understanding the why of it all helps greatly, but experience will be the telling factor.

1. erinshelby profile image77
      erinshelbyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

And why the format after I've logged in has changed too... instead of seeing my hubs and the dates I created them, it's ordered based on popularity... and it doesn't show me which ones are featured or unfeatured (some have been unfeatured recently due to traffic/quality, still trying to figure out that puzzle)

10. firstcookbooklady profile image82
    firstcookbookladyposted 2 years ago

it's not difficult to hit the explore drop down and select feed. Then, it's back, like what we call normal. I do like reading the feed, myself, so I do understand your comment...

No, it is not difficult, but it is an extra step, and ATM, my mouse is acting up, with no budget to replace it, so the less clicking around I have to do, the better.

11. firstcookbooklady profile image82
    firstcookbookladyposted 2 years ago

I'm sorry if I made anyone feel extra tired and harassed. I have an idea. I added /feed to my shortcut on my desktop icon and it comes right to my feed. It was only to hubpages.com before. Changing it to hubpages.com/feed makes it come to the feed page. You right click on your icon, select properties, add feed and select apply. That's what worked for me.

working