When does the foolishnes stop on hubpage.........!!!???

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I joined seven fan clubs last night but yet out of the seven one returned to mine! I have posted various hubs dealing with various topics but yet no visitors (except the few that want to slam my work and act as if they are better than others! When does all this stop when does equality begin?? I have made friends with Miracle Mom who recently emailed me and said she would not be participating on hubpages for the same reason!! What if you are not in the right "Hubpages click" you guys ignore or slander others work!! Where are the rules were is the fairness? I gareentee you many of you will defend you and the hubbers with excuses however stop and think about it you guys are allowing other hubers to slam people Like mike and some the other well known ones with out controlling them! As a christian I have a right to freedom of speech just like an athiest does but yet many of your forum insult us Christians when does all this stop!!???

1. profile image0
      urimiddenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello mdawson17;

I have not been to your page or hubs, and I have not been on HP very long, but I would like to take a moment to convey a concept. I see this site as I do most anything in the world, and it exists at the pleasure of our various interests and convivial propensities. There is no guarantee that anyone will agree with you, or enjoy reading your hubs. But then, that is a good thing. Conjecture, conflict, curiosity and even consternation are the parts of life that allow us to grow and seek higher realms. I propose that it is our grasp for "fairness" (not to be confused with equal-opportunity) that will begin to stifle our true abilities.

If, for some reason, you believe that people are not being fair because they are not visiting your hubs, then you may want to experiment a little. Try writing something you think will be extremely interesting to people, or maybe even something you know will be controversial. I am not suggesting you publish outside of your own personal moral standards or anything, but maybe try to push the envelope a little, even concerning your own ideology...perhaps. Personally I only write about what I see as critical in the world and our lives. If people do not want to read it, I am not concerned. I also am experimenting; so far, with a novel-in-series titled "The Mountains Alive", and it is getting a very small readership, but I have only published the first scene.

At any rate. The point here is to keep at it until you find something which interests people. Writing can be rather lonely. Maybe most of your personally favorite topics and hubs will go unnoticed, but your other offerings get thousands of hits. That is just the way things go, especially in our society. It is a fun sort of reality most of the time because it forces artists of our sort to reach higher. You certainly have more fans than me...lololol

I believe you can do it. Hopefully you do as well

!FREEDOM!

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You feel let down because you became a fan of someone and they didn't return the favour?

Getting visitors is not an automatic right. Publishing a hub is not a guarantee for instant traffic.

HubPages isn't a reading club. It's a publishing platform. Except for the hubs I write that help hubbers and reveal tips and tricks, I'm writing for the world wide web.

A person could spend a half a dozen life times reading other peoples hubs here on HubPages. But that's not what I'm here for. I'm here to write (or interact with the community in the forum as a means of taking a break from writing, but also to learn from others about hubmaking).

1. sunstreeks profile image83
        sunstreeksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone is into reciprocal fanning. Don't fan to get fans and you'll get more fans. smile

2. profile image0
        mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have helped me understand the process of hubpages and I appreciate the way you broke it down Thank You!!

1. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just published a hub on fans a few days ago. I go into my thoughts on the matter a little deeper.

3. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You say you joined seven last night...has it even occured to you that the other six may not have even noticed it yet? Did you leave fan mail?  If not, they will only know if they go specifically to look for that.  Maybe they haven't even been back on HubPages since you fanned them.  Maybe you're not their ownly new fan and they just haven't worked their way down to you yet.  Maybe they don't fan a lot of people.  Don't take it personally!  I think you're a bit too sensitive on this issue.  Relax, write good material and let your fans come to you on their terms.

1. profile image0
    4. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes you have the the right to say whatever you want. And I have the right to ignore you.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You haven't experienced slamming yet, my friend.  Those tht you have experienced are just the potholes in the road.  When you are told in no uncertain terms that you will be taken down and then be dragged through the mud on all aspects of your beliefs, and told that they will take your Ministerial rights away, that is when you will experience slamming.
      As far as fan clubs, don't worry about them, they will come.  I don't always reciprical join either.  I join becasue I liked their comments or would like to see where they are coming from in their writing or they have joined another fan of mine.  Some of my hubs didn't get any attention for about a month or so and then it was like an avalanche.  It just takes time and your patience.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldnt let it get you down mdawson
      Clicks I think are a human thing
      They happen all over the place
      I think some people feel connected and it goes on from there,who knows
      I just write , make comments and dwell on the nice peeps.smile

1. profile image0
    7. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Closet homosexual homophobes who are attracted to naked dead guys nailed to a piece of wood tend only to appeal to others of the same ilk. Not that I am judging or anything. wink

Finding it just as difficult to witness to non believers online as it is in the real world huh? Oh dear........

1. nicomp profile image61
        nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trollin' Trollin' Trollin' ...

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

I know nothing about most of this having not experienced 'the slamming' you speak of, but I certainly don't join other peoples fan clubs just because they became my fan, or expect them to join mine if I become their fan, surely that defeats the purpose of it.

Otherwise they should change the title from 'fan club' to 'mutual back-slapping' club.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

or you scratch my back and Ill scratch yours..lol

2. Artisan Walker profile image60
      Artisan Walkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better, MrVoodoo.

Also, MDawson, readers and fan club members come to you because they like what you've written.  Period.

1. profile image0

Thank You

2. profile image0

Well said and I appreciate the insight

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

FoolishnesS will stop the moment you leave smile

1. HealthCare Basics profile image58
      HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I agree with you. He askes questions when he has already made a decision. MDawson, try to open up to the world around you. Peek around whatever upbringing you were taught. Maybe you should look into Thoreau? (sp?) God is more like a super energy that surrounds us and embraces our self with nature. smile

1. profile image0

I accept that Healthcare Basics Thank You!!

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

mdawson - I'm thinking you need to either get on the fence or at least look at from both sides.

For one - many religious posts are horribly judgemental, however much that may not be the intention. I read a post earlier that went on and on about God righting the wrongs when this [system] has ended. But ... and here's the rub ... God will only be doing it for those that embrace him.

Is this according to God? Or the people that interpret the bible? Because the bible is open to interpretation. Look how many different religions use it - and take from it whatever suits best their needs.

Or is that just the Apostasy?

And as for fans - forget it. Why take it personal. I joined a club or three and they didn't join mine. I very much doubt that it's because I'm a heathen, christian or the great unwashed.

I probably just don't float their boat. Do I feel damaged, disrespected or judged? No.

5. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

We don't get informed who joins our fan clubs, we might just notice our fan numbers increase.  I don't generally look to see who is my fan and I don't become a fan of somebody just because they became my fan.  I become a fan if i like something I read.  I visit hubs which have titles that intrigue me.  There are just too many hubs to visit and comment on and that is the way I have decided to do it.  I turned off the email notification as it was swamping my email.  Unfortunately, that does mean that I might initially miss new hubs of my favourites, but it's all I have time for.  I think I have stopped by at some of your hubs before, not sure if I commented, but it has nothing to do with being in a clique or slamming other hubbers.

1. LondonGirl profile image80
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I look at it from the hubtivity page in my profile, but only every few days.

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's when I stumble upon new fans of mine too.  But, like you, I don't look at my own hubtivity page all that often.

6. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I join the fan clubs of most people who've joined mine. However, I don't expect everyone whose fan club I join to join mine. Unless, maybe if I like you. Lol.

1. megs78 profile image59
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

do you like me??? smile

1. profile image0

I like that attitude and maybe that is the attitude I will start taking thank you

7. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Just because people don't agree with you does not mean there is a problem.  I have been here a short while, have freely expressed my opinions, and have only been 'slammed' once.  Oh well!  I am still entitled to my opinion, and the other hubber to her opinion. 

I don't become the fan of everyone who becomes my fan.  I don't become a fan at all, if they have fanned more than 5 people in the last 24 hrs, unless I really enjoy their writing. 

I often read 3-5 hubs by a person, before becoming a fan.  I don't have unlimited time, and will not waste it on things that are not appealing.

Personally, when I run into the same problem, over and over, I stop and take a long hard look at myself, to see what I am doing wrong.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Went and checked if I am a fan already. I am smile

1. Ivorwen profile image64
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misha!

8. goldentoad profile image59
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

If I remember right, Jesus wasn't too popular when he was walkin' around drinkin' wine, and I believed he warned popularity wouldn't come by spreading his message, but he didn't give up and advised his disciples not to either. But don't listen to me, I'm a dumb whoremonger who associates with homosexuals and listens to rock n roll.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Hi MDawson,
    Sometimes things do seem to be going slowly here on HP. I've found the best approach is to be outgoing. It means more to people (I believe) to leave a comment on their hub than to simply fan them. Although fanning is nice, too.
    You will get know by your comments. You will get known by posting in the forums. You will get known by writing quality hubs about to topics that interest other people.  Which typically means writing about stuff that interests YOU and sharing your passion for it with the Hub community.
    Also agree with the suggestion that when you join someone's fan club take the time to leave them fanmail.
    Keep at it. It's gonna happen for you!

10. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

People will join your fan club when you write about topics they enjoy. Some don't join many fan clubs because they get notices in their e-mail when someone publishes a new hub! lol As you can imagine, that can start to add up.

I'm not into reading devotions and hubs on religion, I like mindless stuff like pop culture. wink Your hubs don't bother me and don't get me all fired up for debate, I just don't personally read anything in that particular category. It's of no offense to you personally!!!

Your hubs have a right to be here though, and so do you, as long as both are respectful, so keep writing! smile

11. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Matt, the subject someone writes about is often what determines who gets fanned.  Lots of times people are more likely to fan someone who writes hilarious Hubs.  There are people on here with - like - 2000 fans.  I don't know how they do it, but it's fine.  It has taken two years for me to have however many fans. 

With regard to subject you write about, I've found that some of the strangest Hubs become the most popular.  They often aren't about something "big and serious".  They're about some popular product or else they just ring a bell for a lot of people.  I've written some very serious Hubs because I've answered a lot of requests.  A Hub like "dealing with grief" (or whatever) isn't going to bring "the masses" flocking in.  It's a more of a "niche" subject (unfortunately, for those interested in it).  I've seen more than once Hubbers who will say, "I don't write long, boring, things that make people cry."   smile   In other words, the serious Hubs aren't as popular among Hubbers.  I've written them in response to requests just because I thought someone should answer such requests.  Anyway, the point is the serious stuff may find it's readers "out there", but it really isn't always the most popular among Hubbers (who often are just looking for light or any odd reading, but not necessarily "big, serious, stuff").  I know when I'm taking a break from "real work" or else from writing Hubs, I'm very likely to find a Hub like "pictures of great sunsets" or "cute cakes" than something more serious.

It takes quite a while to build up fans, and how much traffic you get takes time too (as well as requiring finding ways to bring some in from the "outside world").  There will always be someone who doesn't like another person's writing, but for the most part everyone respects every else's "equality".  To be honest, I've read your Hubs.  They're fine.  Who would argue with many of your thoughts about giving children a better beginning?   girly_girl09 is not the only one who looks for "mindless stuff about pop culture".   smile    Keep writing, and just let the fan situation improve over time.  Try not to let your choice of "serious" material (and the fact that Hubbers taking a break from their own reading often look for lighter stuff) lead you to think it's "you, personally".  It's that your Hubs are serious. 

If you take your writing seriously, or if you aim to write for readers looking for more serious material, you just have to know you've selected a "niche" that tends to get fewer fans/readers here.  That's fine.  Most Hubbers appreciate their readers here very much but really know that readers from "the outside world" are what will bring in the traffic.  All Hubs take time to build up readers.  Serious stuff takes even longer.  Be patient and, again, don't take it personally.  Generally, the "official word" is that people should not fan other people only because someone fanned them.

As far as slamming goes, that happens on some of the most amazingly innocuous Hubs you could imagine.  Slamming and name-calling happens to everyone, particularly on serious Hubs.   smile    People think differently.  The polite ones just leave the Hub.  The nastier ones like to leave nasty comments.  Finally, sometimes what looks like a clique really isn't.  It's just a bunch of people who find they share a lot of laughs or common interests and end up looking like a clique, when - really - others are always welcome.  It's not really foolishness that people like to find light stuff and fool around.  As you've made it clear in some of your writing, life can be difficult and rotten.   "Taking a mental rest" and re-plenishing one's "mental reserves" with a few laughs or reading about cute cakes or sunsets is good for the soul too.

12. mtd profile image59
    mtdposted 14 years ago

I don't know, those disciples went through a lot of persecution and so did the head honcho (Jesus). So, people bashing your christian stuff ain't so bad is it? You'll receive your reward when you get to the pearly gates...If you make the cut.

PS I have no fans and I'm okay with that. I don't have any servants either. Or a gardener. What I don't have, I try not to want...too bad.

Oh, I do have one fan- I forgot. Love you! You really are my number 1 fan!

1. profile image0

Thank You LOL

13. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

Hey MrVooDoo,
    Where do I find this mystical, magical 'mutual back-slapping' club? I like the sound of it!
    I could use some back-slapping. Anyone out there, please slap my back or become my fan... and I'll eventually slap your back... and the check is in the mail... smile

14. HealthCare Basics profile image58
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

Oh Dawson, give up the the crucifix picture because it does not feel comfortable. It is an icon and prefixing how you already think.

1. profile image0

Do not hate me for my belief because you do not see life as I do!

I believe in my God and you should feel free to believe in your God freely (without any acts of discrimination)!

As far as my picture on my site I ask that you do not insult my site publicly! If you have a problem with something on my site please E-mail me and voice your concerns in private!

Please do not make me a hubpage Spectacle!

I believe it is people that makes comments like this that have ran people like miracle Mom away!

I do not think that is what hubpages was developed for!!

15. HealthCare Basics profile image58

Okay, if you accept what I said about the thought of super energy, then why not question what we are taught about in the bible. I can not in my mind believe, and this has been since my education in catholic grade education, the reality of a son of God coming to earth, born poor and virginal, none the least... how convenient for the church; to promote a religion we must obey.

I, instead, think of God as the nature which surrounds us in life. We live our lives according to what we believe is good. There is no church needed unless one needs the accompany of others. Peace and happiness is what we choose to decide.

16. profile image0
    SarahMichelleposted 14 years ago

I have found nothing but respect and support from those who have read my writing.  Readership for me went up when I started getting involved in the forums and making comments on other hubs.  I enjoyed it before that too because those who read were great...

1. HealthCare Basics profile image58
      HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sarah, that is true here. When I joined Hubpages I would just peer the forums to see what people had to say. I think it is a good thing to take the jump and add your voice to a forum. Hubbers get to read your entries and may decide to peek at your hubs..... Welcome to Hubpages.......... smile

1. profile image0

Thank You for your support Sara

17. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

I don't mind if i don't have fans but I do mind if I don't get views and comments. You don't have to be a fan of my work. As long as you let me have your opinion on what I wrote.

1. profile image0

Good point it doen not matter if you like me or not however at least take the time to see if you like my work! And if you do not like my work be a critic and comment on it so that I can get better and if you do like my work comment on on the hub as well so I can see the good in my writing and get even better!

Receiving corrective criticism is good it only makes a person get better in their skills

Good insight

2. Reena Daruwalla profile image60
      Reena Daruwallaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree there, but I don't think I would mind if my fan club of 27 would swell its ranks (it is flattering).

18. HealthCare Basics profile image58

Dawson, your picture of the crucifix is public everytime you post, so therefore you make it public. Considering the threads you enter into the forums, it is obvious to many, beside myself, that you intend to create an argument that cannot be solved. Religion and government do not mix, at least in this country. Religion should step aside to the purposeful right this country was born on; the right of legality, law, and freedom from religious persecution..... Yet, I still like to debate now and then with you........smile

1. profile image0

Yes indeed and I do like to debate but please do not make as personal! However I do like to debate (as long as it is clean and not insulting)

19. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

Glad you think so.

20. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

There you go again, bigot.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why does that make him a bigot?  Is it because he doesn't believe or that he states his point of view?  Hey you state your point of view and trash anyone else that you don't agree with--so......hey, what's the difference?

21. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Because of his hatred for and fear of anything and anyone religious.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)