Great News - eBay Partner Network Announcing Quality Click Pricing

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)
  1. soni2006 profile image78
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I just received an email today from ebay stating that they are starting quality click pricing for new users from 1st of Septembers and for old users like me and you from 1st of October.

Now we will earn some money when visitors on our hubs will click products on our ebay widgets. Please read this email below to know more details.

"Today we're announcing Quality Click Pricing, a new payout structure designed to further reward the affiliates who drive incremental transactions on eBay and who send valued buyers to our sites.

What's Quality Click Pricing?

Until now, eBay Partner Network has paid for sales and leads. With Quality Click Pricing, we will now instead pay affiliates for each click sent to an eBay site. The price paid per click will still depend on the short-term and long-term revenue of the traffic that the publisher drives to eBay, but will now also take into account the incremental value of that traffic to eBay, i.e., whether a sale happened as a direct result of the publisher's actions. The greater the incremental revenue and the higher the expected lifetime value of the customers an affiliate sends, the higher the EPC and total earnings the affiliate will receive. Earnings Per Click (EPC) will be set daily for the previous day's traffic.

When will this change take place?

We plan to phase the introduction of Quality Click Pricing to ensure existing publishers have enough time to understand how this affects them.

* New publishers that join the eBay Partner Network as of September 1st will be paid out under the new system. This includes all publishers joining as they transition from TradeDoubler and affilinet.
        * Publishers that joined eBay Partner Network prior to September 1st will remain on the current pricing system until October 1st, when they will begin to be paid under the new Quality Click Pricing payment structure. Before October 1st, and starting the last week in August, existing publishers will have access to a preview report to see how their new payouts compare with the existing payment structure for them.

How can I find out more about this change?

We know that you may have questions about Quality Click Pricing, so we have put together several resources to give you more information about it:

* Read more about this change and some of the reasons behind it on our blog, including a FAQs document.
        * A new set of pages on the eBay Partner Network site that explain how Quality Click Pricing works in more detail will be available later today.
        * Two new videos that explain the concept of Quality Click Pricing (one available today and a second that will explain new reports on September 1st).
        * In addition, we will hold two live webinars to explain the change and give publishers the opportunity to ask questions. Find out more about the webinars.

We will also be on the boards more frequently over the next few days to answer publishers' questions.

We are very excited about the launch of Quality Click Pricing, as it will allow us to reward publishers who are driving high quality, engaged and incremental traffic to eBay. We are also committed to continuing to invest in helping our publishers succeed with eBay Partner Network, and to ensuring that everyone is rewarded fairly for the value they generate for eBay."

2. sunstreeks profile image83
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

As a good chunk of my income is now coming from ebay, I'll wait and see what the return is before I consider this good news. I actually prefer making money by the sale. But am anxious to see if the new payment structure is better.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I sympathise with the anxious wait, but Im sure that it will go well for those already making sales.

As somebody that hasn't yet got an Ebay affiliate account, I am just happy that it will still exist long enough for me to have a crack at it!

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I read through the FAQ on this thing and am puzzled how paying per click could possibly be simpler or harder to game than simply paying a commission on sales made, but I guess I'll withhold final judgment until I've seen what it does to my average earnings.

1. profile image0

I think that it could work out to peoples benefit, this is effectively saying that it will pay for active referrals. I wonder how many of your referrals bid for an item but do not win it?

Ebay are effectively saying that we will pay you for your bids, that cant be a bad thing? There is a thin line between your referral bidding $100 for an item which sells for $105, and your referral being the one that bids $105....

Your referral that bids $100 has earnt ebay money, just like the one has bid $105.... So I am supportive of this move.

Could we possibly see a system whereas those that refer a lot of 'winning' bidders get a tiered commission? e.g. 50% extra for clicks after you have sold 10 items in a month?

It excites me.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not many at all in my case.

4. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Great news?  I'd be surprised.

I'm fairly sure that eBay wouldn't go out of their way to develop a new system that pays affiliates more than they currently do, so there for the opposite seems more likely.

I'm guessing this is the end of the ACRU system as well? 

Although eBay are my second best money-maker they're without a doubt the company I enjoy dealing with the least.

5. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Instead of a % of the sale they'll give price per click. What determines a quality click? I'm guessing only a click leads to a sale. Which is understandable. But why the system overhaul?

I think it'll be a sneaky way to introduce a new revenue rewards scheme whereby the affiliate gets less money than before.

1. profile image0

I suspect that other referrals may constitute a click? for example, a bid?

If Ebay sells an item for a good price, it is likely to have a number of bids. Lets say for example that a piece of development land in New York State was listed at $1000 no reserve (full price, not a foreclosure etc...) and it sold for $2200.

There could have been 8 bids on that land to reach that price. Ebay could determine the value of each bid to its profit on the item. e.g.

Bid 1 - 5% of commission
      Bid 2 - 5% of commission
      Bid 3 - 10% of commission
      Bid 4 - 10% of commission
      Bid 5 - 12.5% of commission
      Bid 6 - 12.5% of commission
      Bid 7 - 20% of commission
      Bid 8 - 25% of commission

If your referral goes in at bid 1.... they could well also go in at Bid 3, bid 5, bid 7.....  In that case you would get 47.5% of the commission.

The referral (if any) of Bid 8 would get 25% of the commission, if they were only in front for that bid.

Your referral has actually made more money for ebay than the referral of bidder 8 (if it was even a referral).

By getting paid for activity, you could refer Bid 7... whilst Bidder 8 is a direct visitor. Under the current system you would not get any money, under a pay per activity system you would.

I have seen a couple of people talking about this sort of system being in place today, although my example is pretty hypothetical.

Could you see how this could actually work in favour of the small affiliates?

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The biggest problem I see with your hypothetical scenario is that it would encourage gaming such as shill bidding.

In the meantime I won't speculate or hope that they'll do something that means more money for affiliates. eBay have a track record of changing the TOS and policies to suit their own purposes.

2. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have this doubt too!
      Affiliate programs changing their policies and payment structures...I guess time will tell on the clicks that we do get!

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

This Ebay change is probably the reason for all of the recent drama regarding hubpages and squidoo.

It will be hard to tell what the true impact is until some of the folks who make real money with Ebay report in. I have such little revenue from them it will be hard to tell what the impact is.

7. soni2006 profile image78

You all will be really surprised to know that it has been two years since I am here at hubpages. Out of 254 hubs, I have 100 hubs displaying ebay widgets and I have earned just 4.56 dollars from the ebay partner network.

I was so upset with this since many months back and that's why stopped displaying ebay widgets on my hubs because I think these widgets interrupt with my adsense ads and amazon widgets which are performing well.

NOW, the main question comes is WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN THIS NEW QUALITY CLICK PRICING WILL BE ACTIVATED?

I guess for me it will be beneficial because I have received a good number of clicks but no sales from ebay.

WHAT DO YOU SAY considering me????

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

The capsules in use here on HubPages are NOT eBay widgets.

So essentially, you'll still keep earning the almost nothing that you are generating now.

Whether you earn or not from eBay isn't primarily based on their pricing, it's based on your writing.  I've got about 100 less Hubs than you, very nearly all of them offer something from eBay and in 2008, I averaged $57/month from them.

9. soni2006 profile image78

Thanks Relache for that info.

Besides I received another email from ebay:

"Following the announcement of Quality Click Pricing, I realize that there are going to be a lot of questions, so I wanted to take a moment to speak with you about why we're making this change.

Since we launched eBay Partner Network, we've continued to invest in the platform and have made many improvements to the quality of our affiliate program. Quite simply, quality in eBay Partner Network means that eBay's affiliate spend results in incremental transactions and incremental high lifetime value users. Said another way, we are working to make sure that our affiliate marketing spend delivers transactions that would not have otherwise occurred and new high value users who may not have registered on eBay.

We've taken a number of steps to make sure that eBay Partner Network delivers on this promise so that we can continue to invest in our affiliate program, but we've been missing one key piece: fully aligning affiliate payouts with the true value of the traffic, transactions, and users that they deliver. Our first step towards aligning compensation with actual value was our Value Based ACRU pricing, which we launched in the US last year. With Quality Click Pricing, we will go further; compensating each affiliate not only for the value of your ACRUs, but also the incrementality of the transactions you drive.

By fully aligning our compensation with quality, we hope that the affiliates whose earnings increase under the new payout model will find ways to drive even more of your high quality traffic to eBay. For affiliates who will initially earn less, we'd like to see you test some of our suggestions and work to improve the incrementality of your traffic, as this will increase your earnings and benefit eBay. From our experiences with our beta publishers, we know that with optimization increasing your payout is a real possibility.

We have not taken this decision to change our compensation model lightly. The eBay Partner Network team has put a lot of effort and thought into the move to Quality Click Pricing over the last year, and we've involved numerous publishers in a beta program and previews of the system. From the results that we have seen for eBay and for our publishers, I feel strongly that this is a very positive move for the future of our affiliate program and I am personally excited to see the continued improvements in quality that it will drive.

We know that change is not always easy, and that any change like this has a large impact for each of you on a personal level. I'm sure that there will still be additional questions moving forward, and to help address them, we're setting aside time to engage more with you on the discussion boards, and will hold a live webinar on Friday 21st August at 9am PST. You can visit the blog for more details. I look forward to the dialogue and to continuing to build our mutual success on eBay Partner Network. "

10. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

eBay certainly is not creating a new structure that will benefit us more, that is laughable.

Affiliate sales were a major source of their success, there was a time when I was making hundreds a month (not hubpages!) from ePn..with every little change I see that amount decrease.

considering nowadays ebay is a very small part of my campaigns, it might be nice to see an income just from 'clicks" that result in sales, but i expect just to see that my sales commission and ACRU commissions will drop again.

11. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

This doesn't sound like good news to me.  A lot of my eBay income comes from first-time sign-ups, not from the commission on sales.  Sounds like that's no longer going to apply.  sad

12. soni2006 profile image78

Don't worry friends. Everything will be fine as these affiliate sites earn money from affiliates like us and will definitely do something in our favor .

13. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

Anybody else played with the Quality Click Pricing Preview they rolled out this morning?

I was irritated to notice that I'd be earning ~$10 less this month than I currently am. Among other things, they converted a commission of over $12.00 to QPC earnings of less than $2. Ugh. Obviously some other clicks made more under the QPC system than they did under the current one, but nothing like $10 more!

ETA - correction: Actually, the preview is only available from August 18th, so I should have said ~$10 less since the 18th.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have, the £80($130) I made via hubpages using the EPN this month will (under QCP) be worth £8($13).  I knew eBay were gonna screw us, that's what eBay does best, but this is a fuck over of impressive proportions even for them.

I don't like the Amazon affiliate system (short cookie) but anything of high value that I'm promoting that can be switched over will be.  The cheap crap you can't get anywhere else will stay EPN (for now).

14. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I am not sure if i need to rejoice or cry. MY earning clicks are not much. But for the past one year or so my earning from EBay per month averages more than $25.

15. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Well I was just talking to my partner who is the eBay expert in our business and we actually have a good news story.

It seems in the days they are comparing our income would actually be 40% higher so you can bet that is bringing a smile to our faces.

She read through and understands everything and for us it looks like it will be a great change.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)