What has surprised you the most about your HubPages experience?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (41 posts)
  1. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

For me, there have been several things that have surprised me:

1. I didn't expect HP to be so much work. Honestly, I came in expecting to churn out a few, quick hubs and make some money. But I quickly learned that in order to really work the system, you have to write detailed hubs and then go about getting backlinks for said hubs. It's been challenging, but in a good way, and I've come to enjoy the work. And I have a new respect for those who've put out large numbers of quality hubs and have really learned how to make HP work for them.

2. How international the community is. I love that we have people from all over the globe on HP and that my hubs are getting read by people from all over the world. I always get excited when I see a new variation on google in my traffic sources.

3. How such a big community can seem so small. Despite the volume of people using HP, there's an intimacy to the site, which I really like.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree, and will just add my own:

HubPages' diversity and the writing talent of many hubbers. even people who are not professional writers write in a very professional manner and write stunning hubs!

also, the free sharing of information and people welcoming and helping new hubbers.

all in all it is a very pleasant, lively community!

2. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really like what you said.  It sums it up for me.  It's a lot of work to publish a "good" Hub; there are so many gifts to be gleaned from this international community; and well, we are people first, with differences second...there is an intimacy to this site.

Well said, NaomiR.

3. profile image0
      The J Phronesisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent observations. You couldn't have said it any better

2. tim-tim profile image72
    tim-timposted 14 years ago

I think the most suprising thing is how they score you. I still cannot figure out how people can get high score with one hub, on the other hand, someone can get a very low score because they have all photo hubs.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because photo hubs are generally rubbish? The answer is simple. Hundreds of people rate down hubs such as 'Sexy Indian Aunties' because this is a writing community.... and quite frankly, if I wanted to see a load of completely unsexy fat Indian ladies.... I would at least want to see completely unsexy naked Indian ladies. I know plenty of sites where I can see those; but those have been developed for that specific purpose.

1. emdi profile image63
        emdiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree

2. profile image0
      The J Phronesisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The scores are determined based on calculated averages, much like a cumulative grading systemm. If you have one hub that is well written (without grammatical errors, and with backlinks), has relevant  high resolution images and video links, has a great title, and a few other things you will tend to have a higher hubscore than another hubber who has 100 hubs that do not possess these qualities. However, to maintain this hubscore, your next hubs have to possess high quality as well, otherwise it will lowe your "cumulative" hubscore which will be assigned your new hubscore.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

The amazing traffic potential from google.

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

That people think I'm a man big_smile

A great answer Nelle big_smile

And re what Ryan added - I came across one hubber yesterday that has several thousnad hubs and an author score of ... 1 Unbelieveable huh?!

And their hubs are written, not photos. Amazing.

5. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

How hooked I'd get. Still don't know WHY?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps the fire and brimstone of the religious forums? hmm

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's it! Coming from the non-believers though. lol

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are A HELL of a lot !

Your words, not mine. I never said that. cool

1. tantrum profile image59
              tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

'Perhaps the fire and brimstone of the religious forums?'< hell
              lol
              And I was joking before cool

FYI, I don't take everything I read seriously. lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
                  Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well you certainly don't say anything worth taking seriously.

Oh - and I forgot to thank you for that condescending garbage you said to me after I quit the religious discussion forum.

Very christian of you. wink Thank you.

Hey, WELCOME back.
                    I missed you.
                    Actually, I missed the thought of you NOT coming back.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLOL

That is becaiuse you are not even slightly self aware. Religion will do that to sheeple like yourself.

Although I see your ridiculous beliefs are bleeding over into the non religious forums where I feel quite free to point out how worthless they are.

6. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

How addicting the forums can be smile. And that I can actually make real dollars from Google Adsense (no payout yet though).

7. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I'm shocked how my attitude about writing changed. I came to HP through an employment ad. My first hub was total rubbish. Then I started to explore the site, read other hubs and started to realize this was more than I thought it was.

I've learned so much here and I think I've made some real friends here. And the resources available on the subject of writing and making money has been invaluable.

And the forums are addictive. big_smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

most surprising has been the quantity of high quality writing world-wide. smile

the lack of tolerance and hatred in peoples lives towards others in religion and political forums hmm

the willingness of more experienced hubbers to share info and tips for success  big_smile

9. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The high and low quality hubs.  I read a hub yesterday that has a very high score & it was crap as far as spelling/grammar goes, but it was interesting!

10. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I think I really enjoy the folks in the forums. Though some controversial threads get a little touchy, but people always forgive and are in the end, on good terms.

You primarily can have intelligent discussion without claws always coming out, and if they do, it simmers down and everything is good.

Why does this impress me?

Well, I have a few other forums I go to, of people around my age (early 20's) and it's always a battle if we talk about anything that has a lot of different opinions.
    People hold grudges, and get unforgivingly personal, and the immaturity really shows.

I like how diverse in age, life, and country it is here also.

I can debate and question knowing in the end we realize we all have our opinions and we can agree...or agree to disagree civily. smile

11. archdaw profile image60
    archdawposted 14 years ago

The LOVE!!!

12. Listessa profile image82
    Listessaposted 14 years ago

I'm surprised at the high quality answers and topics that are provided by the Hubpage community.  Hubpages remains to be a great source of information and still ranks high in the search engines a few years later because of all the great effort put into writing practical info without the fluff!

1. archdaw profile image60
      archdawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't be too surprised as a fairly new member myself I found out that there are so many different point of views and so many diversified people from every walk of life that are able to communicate with you and feel what ever you are going through.  This Hub Page has saved my sanity litteraly.

13. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I never expected to meet the people I have. I've met amazing hubbers who have become friends. It's been a very rewarding experience big_smile

14. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have been totally surprised that I am actually making a passive income. I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm so glad I did. big_smile

15. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

How great the community is.

~thranax~

16. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

the diversification of the forum content

17. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

What surprised me the most here is finding out that i can do some writing and earn some money, albeit in trickles.
    Secondly, that i have to churn out many many hubs of good quality to make a headway.
    The awesome community at HP being ready to lead you in the right path when you are first new here.

18. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

What surprises me most is that people keep churning up five and six year old irrelevant threads instead of starting new ones.  People aren't reading the pop-up warning and apparently it's too much of a chore to keep threads within a limited time frame for the staff here.  If it's more than a year or two old, why can't HP staff disable the ability to comment? Is it really that hard?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that as well.
      However, patience they say is a virtue... some people are exceptionally slow, some like to take their time to consider finding something to say, others (probably those with retired librarian personalities smile ) enjoy pottering around in the archives, some nod off to sleep and forget what year it is, at least fifteen people in outer Mongolia use printed off old threads for personal hygiene reasons and enjoy the benefits of the HP forums that way, and quite a few really appreciate recycling...
      What it does provide though, is an interesting  glimpse of how many once active hubbers communicated together onsite, in what were a vibrant and enjoyable set of forum threads! Did I mention that having a good Yak is an important and beneficial aspect of life in many other countries other than Mongolia? Does it really matter how old it is??

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lol smile I hear you.  Here is why I think in all seriousness it does matter at least for some threads...Often old threads are dug up that feature information from 5 or 6 years ago that is not relevant to how HP runs today.  This can be confusing to newer members here (and they are the ones often resurrecting these old threads)

I think that the ability to read old threads should remain - they can be interesting, however, I think the ability to comment on threads that are that old should be locked (they are on most active forum sites) and the reason is to keep the content fresh and current.  This in turn would perhaps invite hubbers to strike up new and engaging conversations relevant to HP today. 

Do you see my point?  I've brought it up previously a few times and I know I'm not the only one who shares this view as I've seen others talk about it as well. 

I would also add that "related discussions" are almost always featuring very old content... that doesn't make sense.  Feature the newest relevant threads at least... I know that we discuss the same things around here routinely.  There's no reason for a thread to go on longer than a year or two for comments and no reason to feature outdated content as a "related discussion"... is it really?

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People are doing it intentionally because admin has never responded to the requests from users to lock outdated threads.

By the way, what surprised me the most was that these guys didn't sell the site for big bucks when they had the chance.  But that just illustrates how admin has never been really playing the content game.  It was just the front face on the software development.

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've often wondered if it is just a matter of time before this site gets sold - I was actually shocked when they purchased squidoo, so I believe you are right.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They won't sell HubPages now because content farms are valueless.  After all, these guys have developing software all this time, not developing content writers. 

Whatever underpins HubPages, they can ditch the money-losing, support-heavy site and just keep developing software and services, which is where the really big bucks have been all along.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)