Its Time To End This Madness & Become A Community Again On Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (56 posts)
  1. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 11 years ago

I have been on Hubpages now for 2years, I have seen writers come and go, people from all walks of life. Each with their own story to tell and each having there own style.

Back then we were a community, but since then people on the forums now can not stop fighting. In fact many people on HP avoid the forums for fear of being attacked because of their religious beliefs, gender, colour, political affiliation and god knows what else.

The past two weeks alone, I have seen on these forums people attacking each other, and defending each others beliefs, lifestyle etc..

For starters we have had a complete two weeks of hell over gay marriage on HP to begin with, people attacking the concept of gay marriage, even gay rights. Only today I noticed a forum thread comparing the LGBT people to Nazis - the hypocrisy of it, when people know fine well what the Nazis did to LGBT people and every one who fell foul of their laws. The LGBT are also accused of trying to take over the world, on this forum thread, which is nothing more than BS! That is like saying all heterosexuals are against the LGBT which is not true! Then of course this leads the LGBT to defend themselves attacking those who wrote such stupid comments in the first place. But you see I am not saying all LGBT are right because it is extremist views on the forums from both the religious, and LGBT that are constantly making it hard on the other people left in the middle.

I think its time that you all shut up and let it go, because its pathetic, not all LGBT people are extremists, not all religious people are extremists so you should be ashamed of yourselves. There are people reading these forum posts, not only on HP but they can be accessed on the internet. You are scaring people away from HP, you are putting obstacles between the community and breaking it when we should be united and searching for a solution to the current problems in our society's such as Economic Crisis, Jobs and important things like that, that affect everyone. But instead your quite happy discussing peoples rights and causing trouble on both sides.

There are those of us on HP who believe it is time to stop this madness and lunacy of arguing the old "Who is right, and Who is wrong?" question that people are sick to death of hearing and reading about, and agreeing to move on and find other discussions that are neutral and all people can get involved with instead of Scaring people away.....

One thing I have noticed also on these forums is alot of religious extremists seem to enjoy posting quotes from the bible - They should be done for copy right theft as its not their own work and is therefore stolen from some one elses...

And that also applies to the LGBT people who counter act these quotes with political quotes or equality quotes that are also stolen from other works...

Those of you who still want to argue for and against gay marriage why dont you save it for OPRAH or better still write a hub, but your gonna have to accept that this is happening whether you like it or not and the outcome is out of our hands, and besides instead of attacking LGBT you have forgotten that it was a Heterosexual man that started this whole mess so why dont you attack your president instead?

We are supposed to be writers and intelligent people here on HP but how can we carry on being a broken community? arguing like children? Its time to put away your prejudice and discuss other topics.

This has gone on long enough and I am sure HP will agree that enough is enough.
    Just agree to disagree or talk about something else. Before you drive the whole community away and HP shuts down!

We are supposed to be an international community mindful and respectful of each other, dont you think its time to stop all this nonsense?

I dont want a religious debate or a political debate on this forum thread, I do not want any arguing or any prejudice towards any one either that goes for those against and those who are for gay marriage... I will report the comments if you do.

I just want to know how many of you agree that it is time to move on and become a community again. smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

com·mu·ni·ty   [kuh-myoo-ni-tee]  Show IPA
      noun, plural com·mu·ni·ties.
      a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
      a locality inhabited by such a group.
      a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.
      a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe.
      Ecclesiastical . a group of men or women leading a common life according to a rule.
      http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/community?s=t

The simple fact that you put this under HubPages, the Community and then proceed to rant about what you don't like about the forums.

The forums community is a community of members. Each person is their own person before they are part of a community. Everyone is going to have their views, beliefs, opinions, facts and whatever else.

Your rant doesn't change the fact that HubPages Forums Community is just that a community of HubPages members. That hasn't changed and will not change. What will change is the people who visit the Forums.

calpol25posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cagsil

Its not a rant really its about trying to get people to agree or disagree and find something else to discuss but as a diverse community instead of a broken one. There are so many people afraid to comment in the forums, ashamed to comment and avoid the forums. The only way to bring people together is to feel welcomed but how can they feel welcomed with so much prejudice towards everyone?

That is why we need to stop all this nonsense. smile

Hello
          Broken one? Diverse community? This community isn't broken. It is as diverse as one can get. The problem is that there are too many sensitive people nowadays versus those who are not.
          Yeah, and your point? There are plenty of people like that offline. They avoid all confrontation, so they can find some peace of mind. That's what suits them. Again, this isn't going to change.
          And, you're going to mediate? between the prejudices. roll

People will feel welcomed, just not everyone is going to feel it though.
          Nonsense? And, what give up human nature? lol

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Topics such as those that create huge disagreement need to be discussed. That is how society progresses as a whole.

Hi Jesus was a hippy your quite right they need to be discussed but fairly as adults not fighting children as we have seen on so many discussions.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
          Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If there is one thing I have learned, it is that people never grow up. Everyone is childish, some just choose to hide it better than others wink

Again your quite right Jesus was a hippy smile

I dont hide mine lol smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The issue the OP is presenting is not that of discussion, but that of attacking a person's belief system and lifestyle.  I see more intelligent, civil discussion of serious issues on my son's Facebook page.  But sadly, I don't think there is going to be a change in these forums. I'm sure they do send people away at times. There is a lot of truth in that we are what we choose to feed upon.

The forums 2+ years ago were helpful and funny and quite entertaining.

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I joined two years ago, and it was more fun then. I heard a person say if anyone thinks this forum is bad, they'll find many that are much worse. I wish it was like two years ago. I thank those who helped me and taught me about SEO and other pursuits. I am a dove, not a fighter. Many writers on this website are probably doves too. Many stay away from forums. I still come back, but I don't get into personal issues or beliefs.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is enough fighting in the world. It would be nice to calm down and accept that there are as many different beliefs as there are people. How could we possibly all believe the same thing? That's madness to even ponder.

3. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"we should be united and searching for a solution to the current problems in our society's such as Economic Crisis, Jobs and important things like that, that affect everyone. But instead your quite happy discussing peoples rights and causing trouble on both sides."

IF YOU WANT PEACE AND TRANQUILITY KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND JOIN A MONASTERY!
      Here and now; instead of trying to make peace you try to tell me my life struggles is meaningless and I(we gay people)should concentrate on more important things. Besides the fact that you have not been on hubpages long enough to edit the "Community" speech and forum topics, you haven't lived long enough to tell me what's important for me to talk about. Show some sense of humility and just shut up.
      Thank you very much!

4. gabgirl12 profile image60
      gabgirl12posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it can be something people will do together. I'm just going to do my own thing and not worry about the fights. I stay away from people who are mean spirited. If they show their true colors, its an instant delete, or unfollow from me. I will have none of that.

5. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I joined HP 4 years ago, I was told by older hubbers to avoid the Religion forums.  So mostly I did.

Lately, though, hubbers of the "My Way or No Way" ilk aren't content to have their own forum to argue in.  They're combing HP for hubs that don't agree with their narrow-minded point of view for the sole purpose of attacking (in Comments) the hubber who dares to think differently than they do.

THIS is the practice that needs to stop.

With a quarter of a million HP members from all over the world, there's NO way we're all going to think alike.  In fact, it would be quite ODD, as well as  b-o-r-i-n-g, if we did. 

To quote a much-used phrase that perhaps should be part of HP's banner: 'A mind is like a parachute - it only works when it's open'.

Hi JamaGenee

I agree with you so much, perhaps if they had would stay in their own forum to argue that would help a lot and stop the attacking comments in the hubs.

Only before I had a message from some one who is definitely not gonna ever enter the forums because they just feel that its the same old.

I know that we are never gonna think alike as it would be boring and odd like you say but if we could have some kind of safe zone where we could all come together and discuss topics with out fear of attack that would be a start.

PS. Love the banner  'A mind is like a parachute - it only works when it's open'

Thanks again smile

1. tom hellert profile image60
          tom hellertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

cALPOL,

I AM.... WHO I AM....other people are who they are... sometimes people agree on things- sometimes we don't agree My deal is one we all should live by ..including livin the way I myself live. I have no issues with LBGT folks unless something they do will affect me my family or my pocket book. You know healthcare issues etc.... Just like Liberals s people are ok- but their policies affect me adversely- It is selfish but- I am at least up front about it I also have issues when people getting personally vile towards me then the gloves come off and I seek to fight with them.. I am not saying it is correct- but I have only started/jumped to conclusions and imediately got into 2 verbal fights- in each case I took the offensive- and in one case became freinds with them- while the other one was removed from HP.  ....but thats just me....
          TH

6. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been on HubPages since they were in their beta test period... and there were no forums.  I don't know how you developed the fantasy idea that once upon a time there were people on the forums who somehow acted differently from what is happening now, but over the years, the only thing I've seen change in regards to the forums is the volume of participants.  The behaviors and motivations have always been the same, there's just a lot more people here than five years ago.

7. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been here 4 years.  There have been two big changes in the forums in that time. 

One is that there was no such thing as a "latest posts" page which covered all the forums. Instead, you could see the latest posts in each of the main sub-divisions.  That meant I was oblivious to the mayhem in the religious/political forums, because I tended to only check the HubPages Knowledge section.

It was only when the "latest posts" page was created that I had those forums shoved under my nose, and was dismayed to see how the religious and political threads overwhelmed what I had formerly thought was a nice, friendly place.  Those threads tend to create a hostile atmosphere which spreads.

The other thing that's changed is the introduction of the threaded view of the forums as the default.  Before, the only option was chronological.  Now, it's far too easy for important posts to get buried in the morass.  Before, in chronological view, people were much more likely to read the most recent post in the forum before responding, now they're more likely to not even see it.

8. profile image0
      somelikeitscottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I went ahead and published a hub about my thoughts and am now being stalked (yes, stalked) by a woman claiming to want nothing but to show me the error of my ways and bring me closer to her God. Oy, trust me when I say that if there is a God this woman is going to live a long time because nobody's God could want someone this annoying anywhere near them.

I allowed the first few comments to appear out of HP fair play and then I finally told her I wouldn't post any more of her comments. She has posted under an assumed name (like I couldn't smell her brand of crazy out), sent me emails and has continued to try and post comments days after the fact. I have denied all of them.

I've been at HP for over five years or something like that and yes, what began as a lot of us all knowing and enjoying one another seems to have gone a bit astray. Bound to happen when things get bigger and supposedly better.

So go ahead and rant...rave...but always remember that a little respect goes a long way. Meanwhile, thank you Jesus or whoever, who created the "deny" button!

1. JamaGenee profile image78

Yes, the DENY button is a marvelous invention! I haven't used it very often, but it certainly came in handy a few times.

It's obvious those so bent on changing the views of someone who doesn't agree with them that they resort to stalking REALLY need to get out of their comfort zone for a year or two.  Go live in a foreign country whose culture is entirely different from what they're used to.  See that the rest of the world does "just fine" (and maybe even better!) living by a different set of beliefs.

I don't recall at the moment the exact quote or who said it, but it goes something like: 'Travel is the cure for narrow-mindedness'. 

Even on-line travel can expand one's horizons and alter one's perceptions because the internet is a marvelous mode of transportation to other countries and cultures. 

Quite sad that those who could and should use it, don't.  Even within this international community called Hubpages.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
          Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's because only the curious travel.

People who already know everything aren't curious.

A little change to your statement. lol

1. JamaGenee profile image78

Soooooo true!!! lol lol lol cool

Curious people at least KNOW they don't know everything.

2. lyndre profile image60
    lyndreposted 11 years ago

Agree 100%

Thanks lyndre smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

I don't think this will be practical. There has been a massive influx of people who wish to be seen as an "expert," and - even when I have tried to have a conversation away from religion or politics - invariably everything gets buried under a barrage of contradictory "expert," nonsense regurgitated from elsewhere.

Almost any discussion gets buried this way. Plus - we have some serious issues as a site, traffic (and income) wise. I rarely see constructive help from the staff lately - other than to sell us the latest new "opportunity." I imagine they are too busy trying to fix the traffic issues - which I don't blame them for, but it makes for a less constructive community.

But - good luck.

Hi Mark thank you for commenting, your quite right about the burying of discussions, lets just hope we can have some stability here for a change and an agreement of some sort. smile

1. jenb0128 profile image90
        jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly new to Hubpages, and yeah... I've noticed that the forums can be a bit of a mean place, so I've only joined in the discussions a few times. Maybe part of the problem is that it's an election year. Things always seem to get goofy around election time.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

I am firmly pro-gay marriage, and indeed LGBT rights generally, but I usually avoid the religion and politics forums, as I'm not sure that getting into arguments there is a constructive use of my time!  smile

5. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 11 years ago

which is exactly the reason I have stopped coming to the forums much.  I used to really enjoy playing with friends here in a spirit of light hearted fun and sometimes outright silliness.  Nowadays it is all waaaaaaay too serious for this old hippy.  I am using my time on other more useful projects, like knitting and reading and gardening - writing has kind of taken a back seat - but I know I'll get back to it.

The thing is, Calpol, you are free to read or not, take things seriously or not, and respond to some of the ninkompoops who like to rant about stuff and want the world to conform to their ridiculousness - in fact, it is probably better for your own mental health if you don't respond or even read their idiocy.  It is hard to resist sometimes, getting pulled into conversations that can't even be called conversations - it all leads nowhere -  mainly its ego and adrenaline that fuel the forums.  Even a neutral discussion of writing or HP issues can quickly turn into a rant-fest.

So - enjoy the spring, the summer, the fall, the winter - communing with nature and the people you love will make a lot more sense that paying attention to internet floozies who have all the time in the world to irritate us!!

love you, Calpol, don't let 'em get you down!

Cagsil - I agree with you on what you say, but am not asking people to give up their nature just discuss things as fair adults without prejudice.

PaulGoodman67 - Hi Paul thanks for commenting, Do you think that if people put aside all their prejudice, malice etc and discussed fairly and as adults topics that did not offend but rather brought people together you would join in the debates then?

jenb0128 - Hi jen your probably right with the election and plus all the media hype wont be helping either. Thanks for commenting too x

Mega1 - I love you too smile and your quite right with what you have written its so sad that all this nonsense is making so much trouble and you have had to give writing a back seat. I hope you come back soon xxxxxxxxxxx

I know what you are saying, and what you're asking is ridiculous. It's just like saying that you don't want the sun to rise in the morning, yet it is going to anyways.

Hi Cagsil

I know that what I am asking may sound ridiculous but surely you must be tired of all the animosity here on the forums?

I mean take this forum thread, by now people would have been pulling each others hair out, but instead we are respecting each others opinion and talking rationally as adults. We have just met two newcomers already who have responded that in itself is an achievement. smile

I have to go now as its nearly 6pm here and dinner time so I shall return soon to see if there is any other comments.

Hope you all have a great day and look forward to returning smile

What you see as animosity, I see as adversity. People always have the option to do what is right for the sake it is right, but when ego gets in their way, they are not likely to know what is right for the sake of it being right, because ego overrides conscience in many people.

Am I tired of all the arguing? discussion? supposed insults? - I guess that would depend solely on one's understanding of specific topics.

I see lots of discussions. I see lots of arguing. However, I'm not of the understanding that "insults" matter because we as individuals give words their power and how each word affects/effects us is based on one's own understanding of their own life. That understanding is based on knowledge, wisdom and perception.

If one has lots of knowledge but no wisdom, then their perception is skewed.
            If one has little knowledge, but no wisdom, then their perception is skewed.
            If one has lots of knowledge and wisdom, then their perception is accurate.
            If one has little knowledge, but lots of wisdom, then their perception is accurate.

Whenever perception leads to wisdom, then truth is obvious. If the perception is skewed, then one deceives themselves because of ego, and they think they have wisdom. This is obviously flawed. Ego isn't truth and will never lead to truth.

I agree with you 100% you have a great point.
              I like this so much that I hope you dont mind me repeating it smile

Whenever perception leads to wisdom, then truth is obvious. If the perception is skewed, then one deceives themselves because of ego, and they think they have wisdom. This is obviously flawed. Ego isn't truth and will never lead to truth.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I usually follow this excellent recommendation but occasionally get sucked in against my better judgment. Which usually leads to me saying to myself "Huh. That's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back."

6. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

It's a nice idea, but it's never going to happen.

1. Politics and religion are exactly what they have always been and always will be, hot buttons.

2. People are exactly what they have always been, a mixed bag of nice folk with a handful of morons thrown in, and even the nice folks have their moronic days.

3. Item number one and item number two feed off each other.

4. The Internet allows for anonymity that enables people to say things they would never have the backbone to say in real life--while that can actually be a good thing, more often than not it's just an excuse for cowardly sniping.

5. Trolls exist in cyberspace.

I love a good round of Kumbaya as much as the next camper, but on a web forum that lets literally anyone in, you just can't expect too much in terms of collective intelligence or civility.

lol lol

2. David 470 profile image80
      David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!! '

Some people just trash talk because they want to see how others react (whether it is on youtube, hubpages, or other places across the internet)

7. nightsun profile image59
    nightsunposted 11 years ago

cal, sweethearts like you are almost extinct..

8. glendoncaba profile image73
    glendoncabaposted 11 years ago

I suppose all this might just end up being good for traffic.

I miss the community of two years ago with some very erudite discussions between the entertainment.

Now that Mark is back we might see some of the others.

9. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 11 years ago

I agree with you 100%. There are plenty of topics to discuss besides sensitive issues such as gay rights, religion, politics and other topics that fall in this category. I only post a reply in these forums when the topic is about something neutral and nonsensitive in nature to discuss.

10. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

I have almost stopped visiting the forum's.  I find the same old arguments being rehashed over and over, boring at best and disgusting at worst.  We are supposed to be creative people.  We used to have such fun in the sandpit, people were witty, silly and invariably amusing.  Now the forums are dominated by god-bothers and irate atheists, who between them manage to alienate people like me. I thought incitement to hatred was against the law in most civilised countries? Anyone new reading the forums would think that hubpages was a niche webpage for bigots and whackos.  It would be nice if those of us who feel this way could start our own threads and squeeze out the purveyors of intolerance and their predictable cant.  It's no good complaining, take direct action.  Come on guys, let's start the fun ball rolling.

11. calpol25 profile image59

To everyone who has responded on this forum a huge thank you.

I mean this sincerely, all the positive and negative comments are fantastic because all though we may or may not agree this has been one forum thread that we have not attacked each other but have some how connected, we have come together as a community to talk like adults and share our opinions.

Thank you all so much, everyone of you smile

12. calpol25 profile image59

Thank you all so much for commenting you have helped so much. smile

gabgirl12 - I agree with you that is the best way to be.

rebekahELLE - I see what you mean, about a lack of change, I agree I miss the forums of two years ago...

Hi brakel2 - I do agree with you so much, i too wish it was two years ago again also. I too am a dove, in fact my name Callum is Scottish Gaelic for Dove of Peace . Thanks for commenting.

13. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Maybe it's just my naturally obnoxious optimistic side, but I feel like Hubpages is a community! Granted, I haven't been here for any reasonable length of time, but I've had my fair share of arguments, as well as good times. Besides one single user who I will childishly refuse to like, I consider everyone here a part of a fun Hubpages community.

Even the ones who always argue and have a one-track mind, even the ones who get banned all the time, even the ones who I will never agree with-- I just look beyond that and remain friendly towards them.

The more I keep typing this, the more I keep thinking "Shanna, what is the point of this post?" And the more I keep thinking that, the more I keep realizing there is none. So I'll stop here. tongue

14. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

If you don't like what's posted on the Forum--leave.  It's that simple.  Some people live for this place and just have to comment on everything, but I certainly don't.  I don't buy, "It used to be fun way back when."  Tough.  I've been on HubPages for 11 months, so how would I know?  I stay away from topics like religion, abortion, women's rights, gay rights, etc.  Why?  For the fact that people don't agree on these topics.  If the party's getting rough, just go and do something else more enjoyable.  Unless a question is interesting and has staying power, it disappears into the feed.  Trust me.

15. SandyMcCollum profile image62
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

Everyone has a right to say what they want, when they want, and to whom they want. I dislike the arguments, too, but sometimes even they can be entertaining. If I don't want to read about religious or political arguments, I simply skip over those. It's better than trying to change everyone else. If people are afraid to post in the forum, maybe they should just lurk until they feel more comfortable. Nobody's a bad guy/gal here, there's just a lot of different opinions and beliefs.

16. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

I'd like to start having fun again.

On here....

Let's flirt with Cagsil!

1. mega1 profile image81
      mega1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll watch!  this should be interesting!

17. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 11 years ago

I've been thinking about this - and I just want to say that the most difficult problem anybody ever has is accepting what others do and say.  I only know that meeting bad vibes with love and good vibes usually goes a long way - when that doesn't work - I just run as fast as I can in the direction of people I know will send me back some love.  It's so darn easy to get all your good energy sucked out of you - but it is good to know there there really IS an endless, bottomless well of love and good energy inside each of us - we just have to know its there and draw up buckets of love whenever we get irritated by others - LOVE IS THE ANSWER!

18. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

I agreed with Cagsil and Mark Knowles once, that's kind of a Kumbayah moment, I think.

19. Bedbugabscond profile image95
    Bedbugabscondposted 11 years ago

I am new around here and I love the forums... maybe I am twisted? Personally, I do feel that this is a community, and a rich one at that. It is the sense of community that helps to keep me going. I don't mind controversy, and I try not to take things personally... or like I said.. maybe I am twisted.

20. leenamartha profile image40
    leenamarthaposted 11 years ago

Many writers on this website are probably doves too. Many stay away from forums. I still come back, but I don't get into personal issues or beliefs.

21. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

There is no obligation to take anything anyone says here seriously. Make your own personal blacklist along the lines of 'I ain't reading nothing this character says'.

It can become a benign environment pretty quickly. Sort of inexpensive diazepam.

It is the only way that you will last more than a few months.

22. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 11 years ago

The forums are getting far too tame for my liking now.
    I like to come here and have my beliefs challenged, unfortunately, the real challengers have all but disappeared.
    I do stay away from the religious forums but that is because religion doesn't interest me but most other things do.
    I can imagine nothing more boring than a bunch of people all agreeing with each other, with disagreement comes hard words, that which does not kill me makes me stronger!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)