Hub pages - Persevere, or cut your losses?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Gaizy profile image70
    Gaizyposted 12 years ago

Hub pages - Persevere, or cut your losses?

Assuming that you Hub to make money, and it's just not happening, should you persevere and plod on, or cut your losses?

2. JeniferRW profile image60
    JeniferRWposted 12 years ago

I guess that would depend on the person. I think the majority of people here on HP write first because they enjoy it, then second as a money maker.  So, if someone's only reason to be here is to make money then they might want to consider cutting their losses if it isn't going well.  People also need to recognize that it doesn't happen overnight, nor will you most likely become a millionaire by doing this, but if you are a writer who wants their articles/hubs, to be noticed...then there's far better reasons to stay than to go.

3. Anishpat profile image78
    Anishpatposted 12 years ago

The way I see it, the only reason to continue on Hubpages is if you love writing and would write regardless of the money. If you are in it only for it money, it's just not worth it...  The amount of effort required is disproportionate to the reward.

4. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

If you hub to make money you have to master a certain way to write.  If you don't know how to do this you should do some research otherwise cut your losses.

5. Jenna Pope profile image60
    Jenna Popeposted 12 years ago

I say, find a couple of income streams to write for, but stay with Hub for the love of writing and the camaraderie. There's a lot to be said for the interaction between writers.

6. jacqui2011 profile image79
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

Most hubbers write on HP because of their love of writing and any income that they make from this is secondary. Most hubbers will tell you that it takes between 1 and 2 years to make any kind of money on here. I am going to persevere, keep putting on hubs and try and find out all I can about SEO as at the moment I don't fully understand it.

7. Learn Things Web profile image91
    Learn Things Webposted 12 years ago

I enjoy writing, so that is part of the reason why I do it. I am starting to make a little money almost everyday now, so I think if you stick with it for a couple of years it can provide some supplemental income.

8. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I've been asking myself that question.  I have wondered if it is worth the possibility of someone stealing my writing and is that worth the risk when there is NO money involved.  Like others, I guess it would have to be for the love of writing and having others read your writing rather than the money--because I haven't seen any yet.

9. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

since i don't do it for money, i just keep going. if your on here mainly to make money, your only fooling yourself. i honestly doubt that more then a few people on here make any real money so unless you can put 5 hours a day in here and write only what sells, you aren't going to make enough a month to buy a meal.

10. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image75
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I make money from this - but not much; but sometimes it seems to be improving significantly.

It's more a calling than a career.

11. terrektwo profile image71
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

Depends if you have written 1000 hubs and your just not making money I would say cut your losses because by the time you have that many hubs even if your not hubbing regularly you should be making money from it. If you only have a dozen hubs and you aren't making much plod on, you have a ways to go before you should say it's time to quit.

12. Seeker7 profile image80
    Seeker7posted 12 years ago

I'm going to persevere for a few reasons. One I love writing. Two I love writing here on Hub Pages and three I would miss the community and support too much to give up this site entirely. I think I'll stick around for a while longer and see what happens when I've been here a couple of years. For me personally, I feel it's much too early to make a decision about whether or not I've succeeded.

13. Jools99 profile image86
    Jools99posted 12 years ago

I'm not so bothered about making money; I want to get back into writing and I love it that you can put in photos, videos, hyperlinks etc.  You couldn't do this writing in a pad.  It's a great way to 'story tell' or do non-fiction, I just enjoy it.

14. plogan721 profile image77
    plogan721posted 12 years ago

Hub pages is not my only income source, so for me, i will keep at it as long as I can .   I also blog, freelance writing, freelance scrapbook, freelance card making, have an Etsy shop, Ebay, sell Longaberger products, and do odd jobs.

15. cre8ivOne profile image68
    cre8ivOneposted 12 years ago

Only you can truly answer this question.  If you love to write and it courses through your veins then I say why stop?  The money issues is something I am still trying to figure out because I am still so new to it I don't know what kind of money to expect.  I have to say though, I cannot imagine not being on here!  I would be sad to lose the connections I am making with other writers, I feel it is inspiring to me and it also encourges me to keep going.

16. Attikos profile image81
    Attikosposted 12 years ago

If you're a writer, you have to make money from your work. It's what you do and how you live. If Hub Pages has shown to your satisfaction that it isn't a place you can do that, then you're wasting time on it. Put in your efforts where you get a return. You've really no choice in that. It's a no brainer.

If you're a dilettante, meaning that you essentially are playing, then you don't care about getting a fair reward for your work. You can enjoy the social aspects of Hub Pages and use it as a sandbox.

17. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

I love it here , sitting up at 6 am playing in the forum with billabongbob etc or recommending another hubbers hub with richieb & ken,
    Answering questions , having people find my hub when they google " what happens if i swallow a fly " + others !
    I don't earn much yet but I won't quit , would try earn serious money elsewhere like some of my hubs mention .
    You can leave your hubs there while doing something else anyway.

18. Bretsuki profile image68
    Bretsukiposted 12 years ago

I see from your profile that you have been on HubPages for five months.

From experience five months is about the time when a lot of people drop out of HubPages asking themselves this very question. I would say stick with it as one stream of income. You can write here or on several other websites. There is no rule saying you must ONLY write on HubPages.

If you feel that your work is not being read enough, consider looking at other areas where you could write.

I see you live in North Wales, but seem to write little about that area, being from Cheshire originally, I know there is a great deal of history, torist stuff that you might be able to write on. Or use the experience from your acting, to give hints to others as to how to find work in theatre or TV?
    Hope this helps.

19. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 12 years ago

My advice would be to keep going. If you want to make money writing online perseverance is key, as well as a willingness to keep learning. You write very well which is an important part of the mix, now you need to learn how to make the most of what you write by learning about how search engines work.

I recommend reading Peter Hoggan's series on SEO - the links are on his profile page >> http://peterhoggan.hubpages.com/

20. ShootersCenter profile image67
    ShootersCenterposted 12 years ago

I've taken many of my best hubs and moved them to other sites, which increased my income to more than double but hub pages is improving. I still enjoy the site and the people but I don't count on writing for my income, it's more of a hobby.

21. New 2011 Mom profile image61
    New 2011 Momposted 12 years ago

I dont make too much, but I wish I did. I still will use it just because I do get something from it and I enjoy reading what other people write about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)