Fewer people using comment capsule

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Have you noticed it or is it just me?

Do you think it's beneficial to not put the comment box? Or does  the comment box help you?

1. wesleycox profile image68
      wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the comment box personally.  I like to read what people think of what I wrote.

1. Laura du Toit profile image66
        Laura du Toitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Whitney. Its nice to know who is reading your hubs as well as any feedback is welcome.

2. shamelabboush profile image56
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

It's essential for people to express their opinions!

3. Whitney05 profile image82

Yes, but is it of any benefit to have it there or not?

I see the main benefit of it not being there is no spamming, but other than that is there a good reason for it not to be there.

I just removed a few from my more recent hubs because there's really no reason for those to be there, but they didn't bother me there, either.

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I haven't noticed a decrease, I think maybe most are about 1/3 of the viewers though. I would be lost without my fans opinions, it really adds to the hub too at times I think.

5. profile image50
    HealthTipposted 14 years ago

I like it in the fact in recent hubs of mine some people have added good advice that I didn't have in my hub. I find some of the comments left are actually long and offer as good advice as that within my hub so yeah I think it's a good benefit.

6. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I like having it though not a lot of ppl do comment on my hubs. I'm still going to post them on my hubs smile

7. Herald Daily profile image59
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

I thought that the comments offer more chances of getting your keywords on the page.  Is that incorrect?

8. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Not sure about this one, but I seem to remember one of the SEO experts mentioning that comments count as new content, which Google likes.

Maybe Sunforged or Relache might have more idea smile

Personally, I like comments - a few people have given me some excellent feedback.

9. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I always include it, but I've noticed that most readers choose not to comment so I have to wonder if its practical, after all when you read a magazine is there space at the bottom for comments or likewise on the back cover of a book. I have noticed that all to often people seem to mistake comment for debate and will leave ramblings longer then the original hub itself.These same commentators seem to have an inability to write their own hubs too, just an observation I have noticed.

10. Whitney05 profile image82

I like comments, but lately all I've been getting is 1) your hub is great or 2) a question that I've already answered a ton of times.

11. earner profile image83
    earnerposted 14 years ago

Comment boxes are good for the following reasons:

- people LIKE to interact and you'll make the day of your visitor that can comment, this is more likely to encourage them to come back and use hubpages more in the future and tell more people.  This results in a higher popularity, more hubpages traffic and eventually, potential for higher earnings for the writer

- people leaving a comment will be adding new content to your hub, for free.  It's like they're working for you. Having new content added regularly keeps the hub high in google's eyes as it's not gone out of date.

- In replying, you get the chance for a bit more keywording

- replying to a comment is good because the person who wrote it knows you care enough to respond and are more likely to come back to hubpages/become a fan

- comments left might make you realise the potential for a new hub, linking to this one.  Or, you might just want to update your current hub a bit.

I'd not get rid of a comments box unless there was a strong business case for doing so... you don't have to "accept" the ones you get, but it's good people get the chance to write to you immediately.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All good reasons to keep the comments box.  It's always right at the very end of the Hub so I dont feel it's "clutter".

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Marisha. You are not only wright but right. It attracts traffic throw RSS feed and catters the search engine new contents.

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

12. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

While comments capsules are beneficial for, say, 90% of hubs, some types of hubs do not naturally attract comments. When a reader sees a blank comments area, it's just clutter on the page.  Clutter encourages content-blindness.  A good general rule is to not encourage content-blindness in visitors.

13. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have been debating whether or not to remove them on a few of my hubs that tend to attract lots of spammers. I think it depends on the hubs.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on the Hubs too.  Some Hubs seem to invite spam comments.  I have one that's about news on a new product.  For a while it was getting a big flood of spam and little else.  I think some Hubs are enhanced when people contribute different ideas or elaborate on the original ones.  Sometimes, though, if a Hub is "big, deep, serious" or "very scientific", I think comments can make it look a little less professional.   Not long ago I wanted to - for once and for all - "say my piece" about religion; and I didn't put the comment box on that one because I wanted the last word.  lol  lol  In general, I think they help the Hub.

14. Chin chin profile image88
    Chin chinposted 14 years ago

I think the comments capsule is helpful to encourage feedback on hubs.  If there are spams, it will be up to the hub owner to just disapprove the comment. 

So what if nobody comments as Fiction teller suggests that it creates content-blindness, would it be better to remove the comments capsule? or leave it as is?  I haven't seen a hub with no comment capsule.

1. rmcrayne profile image93
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Check out Isabella Snow.

15. Whitney05 profile image82

I guess I'll keep adding them, and just add them back to the ones I deleted. I'll just delete the no-content comments, such as 'great hub.'

Chinchin, I've seen several that I'm fans of stop putting comment capsules. At first, I thought it was by accident, but then one person in particular continues to exclude the comments capsule. I've seen many only use them for advice hubs, so that people can still comment, but not for other hubs- reviews and such.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Whitney,

Besides many other benefits described here in this forum thread, there is another.

There is an RSS feed for comments. You will lose this if you delete comment capsule. RSS is an excellent way to get back links.

Why do you want to lose that? You are getting tons of comments. Much more than many others.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

16. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I've gotten some writing jobs as an indirect result of hubpages comments so I think they are really important. 

Also have noticed that comments have generally dropped off both on some of my hubs and the hubs of others, not sure why.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)