"Fanners"

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (76 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

In my relatively short time on HubPages, I have come across Hubbers who seem to do nothing but become fans.  Are these spammers, or am I way off base?

1. Grace B. Hornales profile image60
      Grace B. Hornalesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm very new here but I get it why people become a fan. Simply because it is one way of getting your profile and hubs viewed! Thus generating traffic to your profile and hubs.

If you become a fan to somebody, he will likely return the favor and read through your hubs if you have interesting hubs.

As the saying goes, "Be found, be around" smile

It is never a bad thing to become a fan to people, especially intelligent people.

lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How true!

2. mufasaking profile image61
        mufasakingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol i like the last line you added.  We all know what can happen when we becomefans of unintelligent people...we all go watch the simple life.lol

It can be entertaining, but I'm trying not to do that.  I look at their profile first, check out some hubs, and then decide.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's like facebook or twitter where people just fan or follow someone in hopes they will do likewise.  I like to give people a good reason to fan me, and vice versa.

and for those who have just gone through fanning in hopes I will read your hub, I generally don't. I read the hubs that interest me and there are so many excellent writers that never show their face in the forums.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bingo!  You are so right!  I read so many hubs from people I've never seen on the forum, really good hubs.

3. profile image48
      Redneckmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Think about it, if you add them when someone visits your homepage they can be spotted. I can name you 5 people who are quality members that fan almost everyone plus the usual " Ello mate are you new, here is how it is done now add me, wink wink, always the usual two smile

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

sadly some are spammers, others just like to become ppl's fans.

Thanks, Crazdwriter, I appreciate your response.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

anytime...shoot look at me lorlie...224 fans in 3 months? yes I know some are serious but the rest...I don't know

1. drej2522 profile image68
          drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh come on, crazd! Most people are good at heart. All 224 fans are serious! I'm going for optimism here!

3. profile image0
    Maximus591posted 14 years ago

There is a mutual back slapping when it comes to fanning

'You fan me and I'll fan you'

On the surface it would appear people are just being friendly when they fan, but on a deeper level, it has something of a sycophantic quality that's really quite disturbing.

4. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

They are "fammers".

1. profile image0

lol new word to add to the dictionary

2. lorlie6 profile image72

Interesting!

3. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yup exactly wink

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile love it...

5. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I suppose some are spamers but who cares? It's all good!

You are quite right, Poppa, thanks for that...

2. prettydarkhorse profile image56
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi to all, I dont know what is a spammer? please somebody explain to me, thanks...

1. profile image0
        Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess it's people that want you on a list so they can email you sales inquiries etc.

Agreed, Poppa, they are advertisers masquerading as Hubbers, at least that's my impression.

2. manlypoetryman profile image76
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some folks get that name from being on here with no hubs and no fans...especially after they've been on here awhile.

I wonder why those folks joined HubPages to begin with, what would their motive be?

1. profile image0

To annoy us all? lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
            Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some people think this is just another social network-- it's kind of a game for them. The number of fans you have does not often mean a lot, even though it's nice to think that your "fans" are reading your work.
            Hubpages has a lot of numbers to  consider, and they are fun to watch, but don't give them first place importance in your activity. Follow your own heartfelt counsel.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

oh like spam in emails...i understand now, thanks to all

7. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Maybe they're hoping it's like some type of marketplace where they can sell things.

8. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I think many do it in hopes that atleast some of those they have fanned will fan them back. Sadly, many do which only spurs them on. I always check out a new fan's profile just to see if I was fammed. It's irritating to go to a fan's hubtivity and see a long list of fanning with your name included.

You shouldn't fan some one just to get a fan in return, it's irritating. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of fanning IMO

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some sites make a distinction between fans and friends. Hubpages don't. So both kinds of relations go under the same category. smile

As for the general topic of the thread - hubscore algorithm takes care of those who are famming. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image86

same here. I always read the profile first to see if they went on a famming spree. I don't fan very often, but it doesn't mean I don't like someone or value their writing.

9. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

yes, and to add to that, alot of people just become your fans...but very few of them actually bother to read your hubs, let alone comment on them! so for me, it's basically, just a number...'real' fans i.e who read your hubs regularly are very rare! smile

10. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I hear ya Lorie.  I started a similar post a few weeks ago. I had a couple recent fans at that time whose Hubtivity consisted of fanning, being fanned in return and publishing an occasional hub.  No forum activity and no comments to hubs of others.

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I swear I try to comment on my fans hubs but there are soooo many I can never get to them all sad

12. SoftCornHippo profile image61
    SoftCornHippoposted 14 years ago

"I swear I try to comment on my fans hubs but there are soooo many I can never get to them all"

That made me laugh - but really - I don't know how is the best way to respond to a fan's fan mail?  I've been going to a hub of their's to comment, but is that the best way?  I noticed some not really appropriate fan mail - I guess that's "famming"  But it is all fun.  I'm looking forward to the time when I won't be able to keep up with all the fan mail! Ha!

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like to send a 5x10" glossy and a lock of my hair they can treasure as a keepsafe.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very funny.  I hope you sign the photo too.  No glossy should be without a signature.  smile

13. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

If someone fans me, and I recognize and appreciate them from the forums, I will fan them back.  If it's someone I don't recognize, I will go to their profile.  I try when possible to read one or more of their hubs and comment.  I will fan them if I think I would be consistently interested in their work.  If their hubtivitiy shows them as a habitual fanner (fammer), then I rarely read their hubs, or fan them.

That's exactly how I handle it, now that I've been fanned by some whose hubs are obviously sales pitches.

14. creativeone59 profile image69
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

If someone is nice enough to fan me, I think every good turn deserves another, so I fan them back.  creativeone59

15. creativeone59 profile image69
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

If someone is nice enough to fan me, I think every good turn deserves another, so I fan them back.  creativeone59

16. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

Usually if someone fans me I go to their profile and see if they have a collection of hubs that I would be interested in. If I like their writing then I fan them (regardless of whether they were famming) but if they are not in my prefered topics then I don't bother.

17. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 14 years ago

I'd never fan somebody just because they fanned me.

My top reasons for fanning are:
    - You talk sense
    - You made me laugh
    - I've found myself on several of your hubs and find your subjects interesting
    - Nice avatar
    - You sound like you're hot smile

So, mostly for good reasons, but sometimes... that last one.

Love that, earner-I'm pretty hot, dontcha think?  yikes)

18. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

But have any of you ever deleted a fan? Probably not because it looks good to have lots and lots of fans and does it not raise you Hubber score?

1. Grace B. Hornales profile image60
      Grace B. Hornalesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this.

To think about it, what "bad thing does it do to you if all people fan you? nothing, right?

There's nothing to loose, in fact you gain because you'll appear on their page and people can spot you and ur hubs and you get famous! ha ha ha

So please fan me guyz, I just started here. But be sure to read my hubs. I'm still busy writing more though. Be patient.

19. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You can "un-fan" somebody you are a fan of, but you can't "delete" somebody who is a fan of yours. It's beyond your control. smile

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't like that at all. I think we should ask the staff to change the rule.

1. profile image48
        Redneckmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah like they listen !

Well, if we put it to the vote and won they might.

1. Misha profile image62

Give it a try, you are not the first who brings this up. But most people like it as it is. smile

That's what I feared. I don't want fame, only fortune.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
          pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On HubPages, as in life, you can choose who you love but you can't choose who loves you.  Unlike many sites fandom is not necessarily mutual.  Our recommendation is to only be the fan of someone who's work you genuinely like to consume.  You don't have to agree with them, you don't even have to like them, but hopefully what they produce is thought provoking and stimulating.  If all a Hubber does is churn out drivel, do us all a favor and quit their fan club.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86

I like that, thanks for commenting. hey Paul, congratulations for hitting the 100 slot!  You should make one of those threads spreading the news! smile

2. Sue Adams profile image95

In real life, the people who claim to be my friend only to suck me out I can boycot, delete from my address book. Here, what do I do with fanners who post duplicate comments in my fan club without ever reading a word I write? Couldn't those people be blocked from fanning? I can't quit their fan clubs 'cause I never joined them in the first place.

they're everywhere, don't worry about it. it's just a little game some of them play.

2. Misha profile image62

No, I don;t think so. If you give it a thought, you will see this is exactly like life - you don;t choose your fans, they choose you. And I like it this way. smile

I get an email every time one of my fans publishes a new hub. Thank god I only have 30 fans or so.  What do people do with 1467 fans? do they too get an email every time one of their fans publish? How can they connect with their fans? Well the answer is they can't so what's the point? A fan club? No, it's just a list of hubbers that have seen your work I suppose.

But no-one has yet answered my 2 questions:
      1. Does your number of fans affect your hubscore.
      2. Are hubscores generated by robots or humans?

sue, not sure about the answers, but do thinks number of fans is factored in along with other numbers.

did you know you can change receiving an email each time one of your fans publishes?  you can request to receive a daily update.

2. Misha profile image62

You get this email for people you are a fan of, not for your fans. smile

Answering your two questions:

1. Yes, slightly. Nobody will tell you the exact numbers though, cause HP don't disclose them.
        2. Of course robots. Or rather computers. How many staff should they have to make this manually? They have hundreds of hubs published daily, if not thousands. smile

3. lorlie6 profile image72

1. I have no idea, but I've noticed an increase in my author score as I've gained fans.
        2. The folks at HubPages call it an 'algorithm,' which to me sounds like a whole lotta hooey. yikes)

4. lorlie6 profile image72

I forgot to address your point about emails...Gawd, I have no idea what some of these authors do with all of those.  My email is full of HubPages submissions every day!

3. rebekahELLE profile image86

misha, you have 1851 fans smile is that why you're smiling?

1. Misha profile image62

Sure thing! But may be I started smiling first, and fans came second? wink

I'm sure it's that you're so sweeet and you have a way of expressing yourself that makes us want to listen.

1. Misha profile image62

Ah, you made me blush Rebekah smile

20. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Why would you want to delete someone who has fanned you? What difference does it make to you if hubbers you might not choose to fan back are your fans? It's a positive. Nothing negative in having someone as a fan. More fans is good. Means you are popular and writing hubs that others like!

BTW, not only is Hub Pages publishing hundreds (I think it probably IS thousands) of hubs a day,they are also adding newbie hubbers at an incredibly fast rate. We're growing as a community!

As to fammers, yes. There definitely are some hubbers who seem to make a career out of fanning other hubbers. Never publish or comment. Only fan. What this says about their psychology I'm not entirely sure.

BTW, I have quit Misha's fan club about 25 times but he's so darned cute I keep rejoining:-)!  MM

that's funny MM,

we all know that HP hit the top 100 spot today right?  for top web sites in US.  we're moving upward.

2. Misha profile image62

LOL Why would you leave it? yikes But I appreciate you coming back though ♥

21. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I'm probably like many when it comes down to be fanned by someone who has done the same to 20 others. I like to read the hubs of others before I fan them and generally leave a comment.

Also like others; there are several 'senior' accounts that I have fanned, read their works and commented on... Who don't return the favour to me. Perhaps that comes from their perceived 'coolness' or they don't like my works (or perceived personna of me). Of course Time is another factor.

The best I feel I can do is read and support as many good writers as possible. I think it's nice to have genuine fans and certainly beneficial to your writing if they provide objective critique.

And for those who have read my works; thank you.. I will read yours. If you've fanned me thanks twice smile

22. chenmikehk profile image40
    chenmikehkposted 14 years ago

I dont go fanning others! wink Except those who fan me, I tend to reciprocate. Perhaps my eastern culture of being polite.

Apart from that, generally, unless I read an article I like, I do not become a fan of others.

23. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Again, friends and fans are different kinds of animals.

You can disapprove their fanmail. Other than that, you can do nothing regarding them being your fans. And frankly, I am at a loss trying to see why you are worked up about it that much. Could it be something else? If anybody is rude to you, you can always report them to staff. smile

1. Sexy jonty profile image58
      Sexy jontyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya exactly .... this is the way everyone should deal ....

It's not that. I just hate fake. And I hate people wasting my time. But I'll shut up about it now, promise. BTW you, Misha, are very welcome as my fan, please don't go away.

1. Misha profile image62

Aw, thank you, I have no intention to leave. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)