Want your opinion on a site's TOS...am I reading this correctly?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. KCC Big Country profile image78
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I was sent an email through HubPages that invited me to become a writer at another site. I was just checking out their TOS.  I want someone else to read this paragraph.  Does this say what I think it does?  Give me your opinions.....

You retain ownership of Your Content, but you grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to (company name) an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully-paid, transferrable, worldwide license to use, copy, publicly perform, display, distribute, modify, adapt or reformat Your Content, to create derivative works of Your Content and to incorporate Your Content into other works, on the Site and in connection with (company’s name)’s business, in any media now known or hereafter developed.  You agree that none of Your Content shall be deemed confidential or secret information and that Your Content will be publicly available through the Sites.

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The way I read it is that they're saying that you own it BUT they can do anything they like with it.

And if it becomes a derivative work or your work is incorporated into other works then I guess it's no longer your work. You've given them permission to edit and own everything you submit to them.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it means keep walking.

3. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  Or anything else.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

hmmmm, after reading it a few times, it sounds to me like they're saying they'll do whatever they want with your content... hmm

3. KCC Big Country profile image78

Then doesn't it seem contradictory for them to say that I retain ownership, yet they seem to be able to do whatever they want?

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yet completely legal.

But that doesn't make it right. Just puts the ball in your court whether or not you want to pursue such a 'relationship'.

4. KCC Big Country profile image78

It's like they are saying, "hey we're going to co-own it and you do what you want with it, and we'll do what we want with it too".   Seems odd to me.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, it does.  it sounds like they're trying to use a lot of words to say, you own it, but we're going to use it however we want.

5. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Hi Karen.... Yes you read it right.

If you grant irrevocable license to this site under these terms you allow your work to be completely 'bastardized' in any way, shape or form they choose and you allow them to onsell your works (for No Further Compensation - Legally) to any future party (current or yet to be formed).

In short my dear: You are relinquishing in it's entirity - ALL Your documents/manuscripts etc. that you submit to this site.

Good Deal I Hope? hmm (If they are paying you the equivalent of what your work has the potential to earn you for a lifetime!) - That is potetially $2500 / article (under current conditions)

No Karen - You Don't Need to do business like this!
    It's equivalent to selling your soul. yikes

6. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Further..... This is NOT effectively Co-ownership at all.

They appear to have in mind the securing of work - exclusively for the reselling of that content full site from which this L/A allows them to state direct asset ownership of (via your release).

Is there a financial consideration involved here?
    eg: What are you being paid per article?
    And on what terms?

7. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 14 years ago

This is shocking!  I agree with Pearldivers comments.  You are certainly selling your soul.  Even if you were being paid, lets say the $2500 mentioned, you give up your rights to publish and get paid for additional sales.
    Also, the way I see it - you are giving them permission to reuse your good works for them to profit.
    It's immoral!
    Great heads up for us all to read the TOS thoroughly.

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just had another thought about this - If you write something and then someone else takes your brilliant paras and adds their shiite to it - potentially I think there might be an issue over copyright.  Who has the copyright on the reformated piece?  Messy!!!

8. RedElf profile image87
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

The advice you've heard so far certainly nailed it. You may own the work, but they get to do whatever they want (including re-selling and altering) for no further compensation to you after you turn it over and sign the contract. I was offered a recording contract something like this once. Needless to say, I didn't sign either - So what site is this , if you don't mind my asking? I'd like to know who to stay away from...LOL

9. Ultimate Hubber profile image74
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

I agree with travel espresso. This site is not even worth joining having an Alexa rank of  323,878 and their traffic is decreasing day by day.

10. KCC Big Country profile image78

Sorry, I had my computer hijacked by my daughter for a bit.  I'm just now catching up on all your comments and I do appreciate them.  I thought it was rather comical to say that I retain all rights, when it seemed to be saying quite the opposite in the second half of the sentence.  It's like which is it?  I just wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly.  You all seem to be seeing it like I did.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah they basically are saying you write it but because it is on their site they can do anything they want with it, and that changing content part really annoys me, err...

11. profile image0
    R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years ago

I think it means that you keep your name on it, even if it's edited. That part about sharing your content with other websites is like that of Associated Content, when they give upfront payment for an article you allowed them to distribute to other sites. Basically your article will appear on those sites (I don't know if they will tell you which but AC doesn't), yet your name will still appear on it. Maybe the editor's name will also appear, but I'm not sure. I guess the best way for you to find out is to contact them for your questions, and look for other people who still writes or previously wrote in that company. That way, you'll get to see more pros and cons.

12. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

It's not unlike Helium's TOS.  You retain ownership of your article and can sell it or publish it anywhere you like - but you can't delete it from Helium, because they have the right to keep it forever and republish it anywhere they feel like (including in anthologies of Helium articles).

Which, of course, means "ownership" doesn't mean much, because it's already published on Helium and therefore lots of other sites won't take it.

A lot of Helium members don't read the TOS and don't realize that - including me.  I only wish I hadn't written 191 articles there before it dawned on me.

13. wrenfrost56 profile image52
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Yes you did read it right. I came to the same conclusion, that you and them can do whatever they feel like with your work!

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's pretty much like a lot of writing-related sites have for TOS.  Essentially, you can post it wherever you want; but they can do whatever they want with it too.  You do have the right to sell license to use it, provided anyone who were to pay for that understands the exact terms.  Other than those two things, or maybe the right to go after someone who steals the article (and didn't get it a a result of being given it by the site), your rights are pretty watered down and not worth much.

15. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Like Marisa, I immediately thought Helium when I read that. Anyhoo, take a look at this site for more info:

http://keepyourcopyrights.org/contracts … unfriendly

16. KCC Big Country profile image78

I purposely left out the company name since I'm not here to run them down.  I just wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly.  It's not Helium. 

Thanks again for all your comments.  I'm not planning to write with them.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How did they intend to pay you? One off payment or revenue share? The terms that they offer are acceptable on a royalty basis, but never as a one off payment. If you took 50% of everything that they were paid for reselling your works, with you still credited as the author, then it would be a great way of exposure. But if they are talking about paying you a pittance to own your works for life, sorry but I would give that one a miss!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)