jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)

A picture of the pre-history of HubPages

1. RonElFran profile image99
    RonElFranposted 6 weeks ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13940880_f1024.jpg
    While checking out the archiving of some of my articles in the Wayback Machine, I took a look at what they have archived for hubpages.com. They have several 2001 captures that are just test pages for the installation of Red Hat Linux. But here is the first page capture where the first(?) hubpages logo appears. The date was July 9, 2005. From such humble beginnings ...

1. heidithorne profile image97
      heidithorneposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow! How far HP has come. Did you ever see some of the first pages for mega websites like Amazon? Truly humble beginnings...

2. Michael-Milec profile image60
      Michael-Milecposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

To me  this is a prehistoric miracle. Coming from the early part of previous Century into the "new environment", learning the language and a HP operation,   I want to thank you Sir having me as your follower.
      Blessings always.

3. NateB11 profile image92
      NateB11posted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I've looked over the archive quite a bit, it's fascinating. Interesting to see what was written about in the beginning, who was writing and what the site looked like and what kind of features they had.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Wow! Very simple logo. Hubpages has come far and I hope it will stay forever.

1. Solaras profile image98
        Solarasposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I like that logo! I like it better than the one we have now.

2. Jessie L Watson profile image94
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 weeks ago

Haha. The days of old. Ancient internet artifacts. Paleolithic.

3. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 6 weeks ago

???? I have a feeling that's not the original HP started by Paul Edmondson et al. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

1. janshares profile image97
      jansharesposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

So it really is the original HP? Looks like a site for automotive stuff.

1. NateB11 profile image92

It was before the site was set up. Basically a static page before the site was launched. Like a parked domain.

1. janshares profile image97

Thanks, Nate.

1. NateB11 profile image92

No problem, Jan.

4. Venkatachari M profile image42
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 weeks ago

It's just like an advertising website selling Hotels, etc.!!! Really a very humble beginning. I admire the great efforts put forth by the entire HP team and the community of writers here to make this site a wonderful place.
    Thank you, my Brother, for bringing this awareness.

5. EricFarmer8x profile image98
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 weeks ago

A lot of websites look quite different if you look back to the beginning. YouTube is a good example. The YouTube back in 2005 is 100% unrecognizable to me. I did not first use YouTube until several years after the website was launched.

6. Venkatachari M profile image42
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 weeks ago

Just now, I was viewing the "way back machine" and tried to click all the buttons visible on that page as per above posted image.

The first 5 or 6 buttons were landing you to more detailed lists of all hotels, cars, lawyers, and other services available listed alphabetically. Then, I went into more details and found that it split into more detailed lists; but no information or article pages were linked to them with a message popping up "404- error message". They never linked any particular articles with them. But, there is a message at the bottom saying the requisite URL is available and can be viewed on internet, with a request by the website owners to link that URL on that particular page for helping others.

Some other buttons like About Page or Contact Us are not working telling there exists no such page.

Anyway, the way back machine is a great thing for people wanting to learn/view archived data.

Thanks, RonElFran, for bringing this post.

7. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 weeks ago

So, I don’t think I ever put up real content on that version of site before we built HubPages, but the same designer made that and the logo we have now. My brother, James.

1. lobobrandon profile image90
      lobobrandonposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Nice to know smile I prefer the current one.

2. janshares profile image97

Thanks for clarification.

8. alexadry profile image96
    alexadryposted 6 weeks ago

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! So many promising content websites are archived at the Wayback Machine that no longer exist. They are skeletons that never recuperated Google's algorithm changes. Glad that Hubpages managed to survive and made it through all the tough seas of changes. I hope too it will stay forever.

working