Question about how to market yourself on your profile

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 16 years ago

So far, I love this site. It appeals to me immensely because it's easy to use and very professional. I love the idea of being able to customize ads and pictures to my article topic. It all fits perfectly with my skill set.
    For marketing purposes, because I am serious about making writing my new career, what is the best way to present yourself on your profile? To make a profile as if someone else is talking about you or as if you are personally writing it yourself?
    I really like to interact with my readers, so it's important that I am accessible, yet some of these profiles sound really nice with the writers short bio's written as if by someone else.
    I'd love to hear your feedback about this.
    And I love this place!
    I look forward to getting to know alot of you!

2. elisabeth reid profile image67
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

A standard bio is always written in third person.

3. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 16 years ago

Thanks, I figured that, but I wanted to make sure, This will be fun "talking about myself"..lol..
    I'm already thinking in that third person sense about myself but it's kind of wierd.

1. elisabeth reid profile image67
      elisabeth reidposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I loathe doing it.  I don't know why...bios are one thing I absolutely can't stand.  Maybe it's the weirdness of referring to myself by name.  Hell, NO one uses my name.  Not my husband...not my kids...NO one, so it feels strange to use it myself.

4. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

The advantage of using third person is that one can brag a lot more than when one writes in the first. It also looks more professional. I stick to first person as that's how my 'voice' is in most of my hubs.

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 16 years agoin reply to this

lol... that's what I was thinking. Time to put on my bragging hat I guess.

5. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

In the profiles I prefer to use first person only because it has a more sincere feeling to it. If its written in the third person and your bragging etc. the reader will still know it was written by you, therefore why not come out straight from the start. If it needs to be said, say it. (my 2-3-4 cents worth.)zs

1. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes that's the funny thing, it's like people have to know that you are the one writing it, so it's kind of an oxymoron ( I think that's the word I'm looking for!)
      I wrote a third person review of my artwork one time when I had my first art show, and it was fun, but still wierd.

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I must say, it never occurred to me to write my profile in the third person.

Of course, the profile on the dustjacket of a book or in the intro to a magazine is in the third person - that profile has been put there by a third party, the publisher of the book. 

A HubPage profile is typed directly into the profile screen by the writer himself/herself, so personally I think it sounds a bit pretentious if third person is used - unless it is done for comic effect.

7. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I always thought it was pretentious to write your own bio in third person, until my college professors pounded it into our heads that professional writers must have bios written in the third person.
    When you send work out to publishers, you often send copies of your bio--and it must be in third person.
    I hate writing mine.  It feels weird.  I have a couple already drafted out (different versions for different things), and only update them when I have to.  Some people might not like reading third-person bios, but professionals expect it out of each other (and understand that it isn't someone walking around with their nose in the air).

All that said...I think HubPages is the kind of place where it can go either way and be acceptable.  Mine is in third person only because I want to write professionally elsewhere, so I want consistency.

1. elisabeth reid profile image67
      elisabeth reidposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You keep more than one, too?  I've got a 'scholarly' one and a more casual one and a few others.

2. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Stacie,
      I doubt that your college professors had hub pages in mind when they were swinging their hammers at your skull.

I believe that all such advice and teachings should be put through one's own filter of commonsense and context.

The Indigo Girls (who write some of the best lyrics EVER -  on a par with Harry Chapin)  sum it up beautifully in their song "Closer To Fine."

And I went to see the doctor of philosophy
      With a poster of rasputin and a beard down to his knee
      He never did marry or see a b-grade movie
      He graded my performance, he said he could see through me
      I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind
      Got my paper and I was free

Hub pages (and other web 2.0 sites) are social places where people interact on a person to person basis.

Well, I got my paper, and I'm free. My bio is written in the first person, because it felt appropriate to do so.

8. elisabeth reid profile image67
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

I suppose...I never thought of it like that in this instance.   Whenever I've been asked by an editor to provide a bio...they've wanted third person.

Always.

So that's just what I'm used to.  Don't like it, but I'm used to it.  Kinda like eating oatmeal.  Don't like it much, but....

9. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72

Isabella Snow manages this issue well in her profile. It is written in the third person, and it is entertaining. If I could do it like she did, I would go for the third person. But I always err on the side of safety...

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Actually............(you know I love you Kenny! big_smile)

The first paragraph is in third, but almost everything else is in first. This was done intentionally, as it's meant to have a specific effect on the reader. (See last paragraph.) There actually is a certain method to it but it's not to be used for a professional bio, especially not those found on book covers (which, btw, the publisher is unlikely to have written themselves -- the author often does it and then its maybe edited) because those have to be entirely 3rd. Nor would you do this on a professional personal website; it would look amateur.

But when you're in an interactive community and you want people to interact with you, people need to think you're fully approachable (for the sake of comments and the like), which rarely occurs when reading something entirely in 3rd. Writing part of your bio in first also lets them hear your voice.

Mine is in 3rd at the start because the first thing I want to convey is that I am a professional writer, and 3rd is what a professional bio is written in. The rest is in first because first always draws people in more than 3rd, and I'm also inviting people to read my sex columns, dating columns, blog, see my video, etc -- and that gets better results when done in first person.

And... when they are done reading, most people will still think you wrote the whole thing in 3rd, but come away feeling like they would if you'd written it in first. Which would be the point. wink (But, again, you would never do this with a pro bio.)

10. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Just chipping in to agree with others. When submitting work to any editorial panel, I'll always include a third person bio. The reason is that it will appear in the magazine as editorial, not as part of the article (or more often these days, the poem). The editor uses it to introduce his contributor to his readership, so it has to be third person.

Here on hubpages, we're self-publishing, so anything goes. I agree with Kenny that Isabella's is very nicely done. Mine is short and takes the form of a quotation and a direct message of thanks to anyone who reads me. So I suppose that evades the issue entirely!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  When you supply a bio to a publishing house or magazine, you're not writing your bio as yourself.  You're writing it to save the editor the trouble!   He wants it to sound like HE went to all the trouble of writing a blurb about you.  That's why it must be in the third person.

11. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I agree with the third person.

Mark has, in fact, just redone his bio to reflect his new position in the world and would appreciate any feedback on said bio. smile

Unless, like Kenny, you are writing your personal experiences and thoughts down. In which case, I suggest the first person.

1. gamergirl profile image85
      gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Charlotte has redone her bio also.

Charlotte believes that third person is srs bsns on teh intarwebz.  Right Mark?

12. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Stacie has enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this.  When she has time next week, she will force herself to look at all of the different bio versions she has.  They will remain third person - mostly - but she will see how she can put more of herself in them.

P.S. Isabella's crafted profile is a good example.  Especially now that we know it was deliberate.

Mark, I'll have to check yours out.

13. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Everybody's Jimmy now (George is getting upset).

Peter thinks Mark, Charlotte and Stacie are funny.

14. robie2 profile image77
    robie2posted 16 years ago

Just went and read all your profiles( including Dorsi, who started this thread). Some were first and some third person but all were amazing....what a great group of people with such a broad range of experience and interests. Hmmmmm maybe I better do a little work on my own now that I see how good a profile can be smile

15. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72

Oops, Isabella, apologies for my unreliable memory. Went and reread your profile, and Lo! It is a masterly combo of the 1st and 3rd person. (Or persons?)
    Seamlessly integrated.
    Accept my apologies while I bask in your love. big_smile

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

No need to apologize (you were *supposed* to recall it as third!) but you may continue to bask. wink

16. jaymz profile image77
    jaymzposted 16 years ago

How many links is too many in a bio?

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72
      Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hehe, as many as you can tolerate in anothers. smile

17. profile image49
    john schmitposted 15 years ago

lo!
    I have not yet written mine.
    How will it be if in 2nd person!!!
    Funny?
    John

18. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

Yes, third person is the standard. I have several, too. Short ones, long ones, and bios geared toward the magzine I am writing for, or the book I am promoting. They were hard at first, but now they are fun.

LOL, I remember one of my early ones:

Donna Campbell Smith lives with her Jack Russell Terrier and writes from her home in North Carolina.

In other words, she has no writing credits at all!!! Fortunately, my bios have more information in them now.

19. SteveRoberts profile image59
    SteveRobertsposted 15 years ago

Steve also hates writing bios but is endeavoring to learn to love the process.
    Following his reading of this forum, he now has no excuse.
    I will also have to work out a smooth transition from 3rd to 1st!

Thanks for all of your contributions.
    Cheers Steve

20. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Well it's nice to see this thread revived- since posting this I have changed my profile to read third and first person, like Isabella did. I don't think it's pretentious ( although it was weird writing about myself like I'm "somebody"....lol...you know what I mean.)
    I know I'm a "somebody" but it's just so weird tooting my own horn sometimes!

21. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

I've done the same as Isabella but without the logic for the split between 3rd and 1st person.

I begin with the legend and the myth of Rik Ravado in the 3rd person (I am too modest to admit to all my accomplishments).  Then I slip naturally into the 1st person to share something of my humanity and to reassure the world that even I have feet of clay (fear of small children etc.)

As far as I'm concerned 1st or 3rd is fine, depending on the individual, but a mix of both is even better (as Isabella so ably demonstrates).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)