What should I do,,,,,,?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

Most people are tied down to the area they live because of their job. I have been lucky enough to work totally for myself on the web for the past 2 years. smile

I don't make enough to be well off, but enough to pay my bills and still do fun things. Working online that means I also can live and move ANYWHERE I want.

I also can take a vacation anytime I want and still be working thanks to laptops. I'm also single and childless, free as a birdie! Soooo, that has me thinking.

On the one hand, I should take advantage of this and travel, see the world, do things that most cannot. But on the other hand I'm 46 and not young anymore. hmm

Part of me really wants to meet a nice girl and have some companionship. That's hard to do if your moving around and doing stuff like a nomad.

Plus I'd miss my friends where I am. Yet it seems like a shame to stay in one place when I don't have to and miss out on all there is out there.

Then again, who's to say I would not get into some trouble moving around? I guess I just don't know what to do with my life right at the moment.

Anyone care to say what they would do if they were in my shoes? Would you travel and see the world but be lonely, or stay in one place and try to find someone to settle down? neutral

1. thooghun profile image96
      thooghunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Come to Rome and find someone to settle down, might be the best of both worlds smile

In all seriousness, I think you should opt out of your day-to-day and try something new for 3-6 months, and give yourself some perspective. That way you won't miss your friends too much. Give Europe a shot. Its not too alien for you to suffer culture shock severely, and your online job seems enough to keep you afloat.

Do it. wink

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel that you may want to find somebody first, then travel together, but it depends on her circumstances too. Loving and living and traveling is best, GET OUT and find the right one for you, GOOD LUCK!

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I work for myself (yay, HubPages!) and travel, while looking for someone to settle down with.

I don't see why I have to pick one or the other.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I would keep my home in one place, but would definitely travel to places you would love to visit. take weekend trips, plan a week somewhere or a couple of weeks,whatever you can afford.

traveling is a great way to learn more about yourself and you have the chance to meet people in your travels. take your camera and laptop and explore. smile

but ultimately, you need to do what feels right for you.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I think I would travel-- You'll never be younger, and you may run into Relache one day.

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Bill,

I am married and did my traveling when I was in my 20's , you are a handsome man and I believe you should travel because Ms. Right may just be somewhere else then where you are located. Here are some questions you should ask yourself.

Are you ready to settle down?

Can you actually be committed to one person?

Do you truly wish to have children?

Are you truly tired of being single?

What were you really looking for in a relationship?

What did you not care for when you were with another person?

Are your standards to high?

Can you live with someone else? Remember there is going to be things that you may not like about her but can you deal with it?

For some being single is best and for others when that someone wonderful comes along we know that is the one. I wish you all of the best but write down the pros and cons. smile

6. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

If I could and was doing well like you said or like Relache, I'd move to my dream location.  I'd keep a cabin here where I live.  I'd be traveling everywhere, with laptop in hand, ready to write about everything I see. smile

7. Hokey profile image59
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

If you can do it. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

if you've never been to Europe and can afford it (there are hostels, affordable place you can stay), I would take this opportunity to explore other cultures. it can only enrich your life. and you don't have to be lonely just because you're single.
    enjoy the freedom you have. big_smile  I've been single now for 10 years and very much enjoy my freedom to travel and do what I want to do.

9. Springboard profile image84
    Springboardposted 14 years ago

Being one who is "tied down," so to speak, because I have rental property where I live, and a house that I am having no trouble paying for, but cannot sell for what I paid for it, nor can I rent it for what I'm paying for it, I'd say take advantage of the opportunity to NOT be tied down. Sure, we all want roots, a place to call home. The question for me is if I did not have my current situation would I be where I am right now.

The answer is no.

10. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

What YOU should do is completely up to you, and no one else can decide for you.

My advice is what you should NOT do.

You should NOT let fear make the decision for you.

You already know what you want to do, your just afraid that it might be a mistake. If it is a mistake, you can always turn around and come back.

1. Hokey profile image59
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perfect advice.

11. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I see a Harley with your name on it and a laptop in the saddle bag.

Lucky you. big_smile

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
      Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the life...

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. When I went to the US, I bought a Fat Boy and spent a year on the road.

I have been to more states than most Americans. Wonderful place. big_smile

12. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Travel to where you feel drawn.
    Go back to see your friends whenever you want.
    Stop worrying about meeting someone, because that makes it less likely to happen.
    Be yourself, do what you enjoy and interests you. You will meet loads of people doing so, and perhaps one special girl.
    You're a very cute guy. I think lots of girls could fall for you very easily.
    RELAX!

13. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Why it's so important to meet somebody ?
    If you're looking you're going to make a mistake.
    Love comes when less expected.
    Enjoy your freedom !

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Here's what someone told me when I was having my annual mid-life crises one time - If you really want to change your life and have the things you always wanted make a list, it should be as fabulous and possibly unrealistic as it needs to be, but an HONEST list of what you want:  something like

1. You want to have your physical and spiritual needs met
    2. You want someone to be your mate and partner who will want to travel with you and life your kind of life style even if that means not having everything you would have together settled down
    3. You want to explore the world
    4. You want to be able to be open for changes

Once you really know what you want, and are honest about it, you can explore and work toward getting it - I truly believe the Universe provides what you want and need but first you have to know what that is!

Good luck and I hope you find all those things and more!

15. Bill Manning profile image69

Wow, thanks for all the responses and advice! smile

I've been single without a gf for almost two years, which is why it's important for me. I love myself and am happy with myself, I don't NEED someone to make me happy.

BUT, being alone all the damn time gets OLD, real OLD! However I would also love to travel and see new things. You just can't meet someone long term when your traveling around.

Maybe I can go to places here and there, sort of like long vacations. Then I can always come back where I am. Or if I do meet someone where I go, stay there and see what happens.

I use to work all the time for low wages, trapped in a small town doing the same thing day after day. So I know I should not waste this time I have now that I have it.

Thanks again everyone, I see some new places ahead of me, if only for short times. wink

16. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Ok, I know I'm only 23, but I rather travel and be alone, and childless. Ever since I went to Europe by myself a few times, I'm always anxious to do it more.
    I think you should to, especially if you can get some friends to go with you. However, I'm sure they have more restrictions than mine would at this point to do that.

Travel while you can. You have plenty more of your life to find a woman, and who knows, you may find one overseas or in another state depending where you go. smile

Or, find a companion and travel with her together~ It would be romantic and you'd get to experience the world together.

But, she might also have kids or a job, so you'd have to play it by ear. Hmm, I'd say, drop everything and go travel ASAP~ Before the summer rush.

17. Bill Manning profile image69

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get out and go somewhere soon. I suppose if I did finally meet the right one I'd be complaining I can't go anywhere now! lol

1. Money Glitch profile image64
      Money Glitchposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that is usually the way it goes Bill. smile

But, I vote with everyone else, if you have an opportunity to travel...Go for it!  Besides you might meet Ms. Right alone the way, and you both love traveling so much that you continue to do so as a happy couple.... big_smile If you stay at home you will never find her...

2. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

the right one would be someone to travel with you, silly!

18. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

If I was financially secure like you seem to be, I'd join up with an international aid group and I'd be off feeding the starving in Africa, or teaching chidren who otherwise would receive no education, or helping out in disaster zones.
    I always wanted to do that when I was younger, but life got in the way.
    Now, I am stuck with a mortgage and struggling, but if one day I started realy earning online, like you seem to be doing, I'd be off. All voluntary work of course.

19. europewalker profile image79
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Travel, be adventurous. Do it now while you are still able to. As far as meeting someone, that will happen naturally. I met my second husband on a day where I felt I was through with men. We have been together 24 years. You just never know!

20. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

There's no such thing as *too old* I say. Go and travel!! I wish I had the same luxury. Plus once you have young children you cant travel with the same freedom anyway!

21. Bill Manning profile image69

Yup, all true. I don't think I'll ever have any kids, but more than likely any girl I meet will have. So yes, it's time to get out there and see what I'm missing!

Think I'll start slow with a trip down to Key West, since I'm in Orlando. And a cruise, always wanted to try a cruise! smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds great Bill, there are so many great places to visit right here in florida, if you go to key west, be sure to tour the everglades before or after your trip down the keys. it's another world.

then hop on one of the cruise ships to the bahamas.  or mexico.
      sometimes they have 'singles' cruises. also look into 'events and adventures'  it's a group that meets and does all kinds of fun adventures for single people. I'm sure there is a group in orlando.  have fun. you're at the perfect age!

22. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I have done two 5000 mile treks around Europe with my flatmate in sub £400 BMW's off eBay, have to say they were some of the best times of my life, and who knows you might meet the love of your life while you are on the trip! (I know I met a few women, it wasn't untill I met an American travelling around England that I fell in love though!)

I say live your life, you will never find the perfect woman for you if you are sat at home all day!

23. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The fact that you are asking sounds like you should be traveling.

24. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

There are wonderful women everywhere you go.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True. But having to say "I'm just passing through on a vacation" is not conductive to a good long term relationship! Anyways I'm going to get out and see some sights, dating will happen later.

Of course if I do meet a girl in the meantime that just wants to have some fun while I'm passing through, what the hell! wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)