Is Our Community Going Down the Drain?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 2 years ago

If you want a deeper insight into where our community and HubPages in general are heading, please look at the links in this post.

Historical Pattern:
    2014, Squidoo was bought up by HubPages.

2018 HubPages was bought up by Maven

September 2020 Maven Rebrands as The Arena Group (TAG)

The Arena Group has
    3 Brands.

1. Sports
    2. Finance
    3. Lifestyle

HubPages is supposed to cover the Lifestyle vertical of TAG but ToughNickel is now part of the “Finance Arena”

https://hubstatic.com/15767592.png

Noted:
    I have found zero articles on any of the TAG sites that have a comments feature. The re-introduction of comments on AxelAddict is so loathsome, writers would rather not have comments at all. I very much doubt that any of the TAG sites have a writers' community and forums.

Collateral Damage
    Our decreasing page views and income are collateral damage. Unless we write about Sports, Finance, or Lifestyle, HubPages writers are very small fish in the TAG business model which is: How much can we increase TAG’s share price to sell out to the next larger company and walk away with the profits.

My Prediction
    Comments will never come back and the Forum, which, b.t.w. no longer has a designated monitor, are the next thing to be eliminated.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sue, yes, you sum it up aptly.                                      In 2 years time or less, the same will apply to the TAG or ARENA group.                                                    It seems likely that Hubpages does not want us writers to benefit financial more. But some writers are not here for the money.

2. Amara Hassan profile image88
      Amara Hassanposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I am feeling kinda boring, after comment sections are gone forever. So not much to do on HP in general. I used to spend alot of time in reading other's Hub and commenting. Now apparently there is nothing much.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image93
      Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That TAG kept HP in the game plan means there is a future for us. We need to keep writing, editing and learning as writers. The changes being made seem unsettling, and I miss Paul's updates and transparency. But, what do you do when Google is fickle, constantly changing for advertisers? Honestly, it's about making money and paying the rent. Right?

2. Brenda Arledge profile image80
    Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

Read then leave comment on forum...not sure.

It does feel a bit off...
    Lets all Take a vacation

1. Misbah786 profile image82
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Vacation or Strike. big_smile tongue cool

3. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 2 years ago

Things do feel bad. I miss the olden days of HP. But I think there are reasons to be optimistic. I also think some folks need to look at the big picture.

As you said, there are no comment sections on other TAG sites. The fact that HP is trying to bring them back suggests that they do care about the "community". The whole point of moving to the new article format was so that everything would be uniform across all of the the Maven (TAG) sites. Adding something special like comments back to HP takes time and resources. They are doing this for the "community". Personally, I agree that it's worse than before, but at least they are trying I guess.

It seems like people sometimes forget that TAG and HP are here to make money. All of the changes they make, many I disagree with, are to increase revenue, keep investors happy, and make sure everyone working for them (including us, sort of) still have a job.

Everyone on HP writes about sports, finance, or lifestyle. Every niche site falls into one of those categories. TAG has, at least for now, made HubPages a major part of their plan going forward. That's positive.

As for the "community", poems and creative writing earn very little, but people who enjoy them still have a home here.  If you are one of those people, it should make you happy that TAG and HP put so much focus on earnings. Without it, nobody would have a place to write. TAG could very easily decide creative writing isn't profitable and is no longer accept it, but they don't do that. They allow everyone to publish.

I guess I have a different idea of "community" here. To me, the old HP community was one that focused on success, traffic, SEO, earnings, and how to be a better online writer. That community is long gone from these forums. The demise of that community is something I feel HP has encouraged  over the past few years, and that's a big problem.

Anyway, I agree that things feel weird and kind of bad. For me, I'm trying to change my expectations and understand what TAG is trying to do. It is really frustrating, but the only way to stay sane.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The problem is, that with all of these changes, intended to increase revenue, revenue is in fact down. Page views are down. If they continue to follow a short term fix mentality, i.e. increasing ads per page, installing video ads that cannot be closed until the have completed their pitch, then we will experience a vicious cycle of more ads, fewer views etc...

1. chef-de-jour profile image98
        chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

HP has been through so much since I first put pen to paper a decade ago. Throughout I've just continued writing fresh articles and will carry on creating (and earning hopefully), updating and backing up.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Having participated in a few content sites, most of them do go into a death spiral of overly intrusive ads which increase earnings per visitor but drive traffic into the ground.  Hubpages was previously an outlier in resisting that mistake and continuously adapting. But I think they are no longer driven by the people who have the needed skill set.  The platforms may continue but ultimtely with minimum wage staff writers.

Sad

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

That's awful. I'm now in bed. Goodnight everyone.

2. Solaras profile image95

I am very seriously concerned. In old days, Paul had a personal desire to see HP succeed in the long term.  Now the TAG group has investors that need to see immediate monetary results, month over month. The Pethelpful reviews page, so unprofessionally implemented, the overload of ads, does not feel strategic, it feels desperate. And that is frightening.

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It feels like the lessons learned over the years have been forgotten and there is no one left on the staff to advocate for HP.

When they make mistake that HP long ago learned to avoid it is pretty scary.

Exactly.

3. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A positive outlook?
      That’s what I need.

4. bhattuc profile image79
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

Companies see the things from the business prospects and sentiments have no place there. What can be done?

1. Misbah786 profile image82

Agreed!

2. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The bottom line is - without writers creating evergreen articles on a consistent basis and earning money for themselves and HP, there would be no HP.

chef-de-jour, you're correct. And Hubpages knows this is it not? But why should they behave indifferently? This beats the mind.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

It’s true that community was way more of a priority for HP in the early days, but really it was Google who scuppered the original idea of having an open platform for writers to be published. Punishing the entire site for individual miscreants and low quality producers completely altered the direction that the site had to go to survive. Some had to be discouraged or pushed away because individuals could damage the site.

I don’t care so much about the comments and adverts, though I do appreciate the forum. What I’d really like though is an HP app for my phone!

I don't think every article is ever fit for publication. Those that can offend Google should be sent to the paper bin.                                       But if a writer from a nearby Pakistan or Indian village, or elsewhere without a good command of the English Language is swindle on YouTube...to write scrapes for hubpages seems a prority of right. That's why we're nose diving writes and all.

6. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 2 years ago

The natives are getting restless. Time for management to come out of hiding and apply a soothing balm.

Agreed. But a tonic wine is excellent for healing the inside of our person.

7. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

Does HP/Maven continue to profit if their featured authors and prolific writers stop publishing new content? I personally have no desire to write to an empty room where there is no interaction or exchange.

Like as I've said in another forum thread I participate. I've not write a single article this year 2021. But I'll do next year 2021, forcussing on fitness and lifestyle.

2. Misbah786 profile image82

Linda, I can understand that. smile  But at least, continue to participate in forums. You are a very valuable member of our community. smile
      Sending Blessings and Love your way.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Well, all we can do really is hope for the best.  (And make backup copies of your hubs, just in case).

Makes sense to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)