The HubPages Weekly Has Done It Again

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

It is becoming a regular exercise recently to check the HubPages Weekly as soon as it appears in our email inbox. Each week there seems to be an error of some kind.
    This week I read most of the way through, thinking it looked good, before I noticed this:
    “ Lastly, decide how you want your callout to appear. There are two options of "Colorbox," "Classic," or "Quote." Two options? Surely that is three!

1. Misbah786 profile image84
      Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

There are 2 options because there is 'or' between classic and quote. There would be three options if the word 'and' was used instead of 'or.' lol! tongue wink
      HP is always right!  big_smile

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

There are three options for the callout capsule smile

Thank you so much. I know! smile

2. Jodah profile image91
          Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Exactly smile

3. Jodah profile image91

Glad you are giving HP some much needed support, Misbah. Do I sense a hint of sarcasm there though lol?

Ahem Ahem big_smile

https://hubstatic.com/15894451.jpg

1. Jodah profile image91

big_smile

I am innocent big_smile wink

https://hubstatic.com/15894468.png

1. Jodah profile image91

Lol

2. janshares profile image93
              jansharesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. Kenna McHugh profile image91
                Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 2 years agoin reply to this

OMG - lol

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69
        Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

And is a plus. Or is a choose. In ether case, its too, as and didn't qualify a thing.

1. Jodah profile image91

It doesn’t matter how they word it, there are three…1. Colorbox 2. Classic 3. Quote

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69

I agree. But as someone else has said, there's a lacuna...lol!                                            I always prefer the quote in my articles.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image91

I am glad you're keeping an eye on things! I don't have time! big_smile

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
          MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Me neither, and I don't have the interest anymore. roll

5. bravewarrior profile image86
        bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Let's not overlook the overuse of exclamation points! roll

1. Jodah profile image91

Yes, Shauna, that was last week’s special feature, and made this week’s slip up look rather minor.

6. MizBejabbers profile image87
        MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I've just been informed that they have done another edit on my Dengarden article that is my top moneymaker. I still don't claim to be making much money, but I'm tired of their tinkering with it. I have been busy lately and haven't had time to see what they have done this time to edit their last edit. Just can't be satisfied, can they? If it isn't up to their standards, they can blame their last editor, the one who did a full edit and redesign on it. (And moved the two staircases that lead from the driveway by the street.) They go down into the atrium to my FRONT DOOR. They didn't like the description, so by their changes, they relocated the staircases several feet BEHIND our back deck. lol I changed it back. Guess I need to see where they moved it this time.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

I think they're working on Dengarden at the moment. I've had several of my Dengarden articles edited in the last couple days. Nothing drastic,though.

2. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
          HubPagesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Hi MizBejabbers, we're currently editing Dengarden as a whole, so all of the content you have published there will be touched (albeit lightly, in most cases). This is not because past editors did anything wrong, but because we're hoping that by editing the entire site, the entire site will see a boost in traffic.

7. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

You're right, Jodah. Even the best of writers need editors! If only we could pass the newsletter through HubPro before sending it out wink But since the system we use for the newsletter doesn't allow for that, we hope you'll forgive the occasional slip.

It happens.

2. Jodah profile image91

HubPages,Thank you for acknowledging this. I know this was a small mistake and I was being a little petty, but It is always great to know the team is listening and providing feedback. An occasional slip is 5o be expected.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it was an occasional slip. There are indeed only two versions of callout as they render on Maven. I believe whoever wrote that was trying to explain it as the options presently exist.

The programming for rendering callouts on Maven was never completed. Am I the only one who noticed that?

"Colorbox" renders correctly as a colorbox. But "Classic" and "Quote" are similar, indented with a line on the left. Probably, that's why they explained it so awkwardly in the weekly newsletter.

They left out the word "and" in the explanation:

There are two options: "Colorbox" AND "Classic" or "Quote."

1. Jodah profile image91

No, I never noticed that Glenn. Thanks for explaining. It still seems like three choices to me though.

2. Misbah786 profile image84

Mr. Glenn, You are right that quote and classic callouts appear similar, but however there's a little difference between two. Classic does not allow you to add the author's name separately, whereas the quote callout does. smile

https://hubstatic.com/15897100.png

https://hubstatic.com/15897101.png

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

Yes, that's true. I was aware of that. But "Classic" and "Quote" were completely different in the old days on HubPages. Now they are the same except for the addition of the Quote Author as you mentioned. Take a look at how the are rendered when published and you'll see what I mean.

Oh Okay! Thank you so much for sharing this information smile
                Blessings always!!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
                PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

We were encouraged to use callouts a lot some years back. However, since then I've had editors changing callouts to standard text boxes, so nowadays I don't really use them much at all.

I’m not surprised the editors are doing that, Paul. Ever since Maven, I’ve been changing my "Classic" and "Quote" callouts to standard text capsules too, since they are so ugly looking in the way they are rendered on Maven. Only the "Colorbox" callout looks decent.

People don’t see that while in HubEdit. They only know what I’m talking about when looking at the resulting callout as rendered on Maven.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

Gleno, you're right. That basicaly make it just two option.                                       'colorbox and classic, or quote' is stated. Like as I explain in one of my posts in this forum, 'and' is a sum or addition. 'Or' seems like a preposition, and you've got to make a pick among two or more availbles. Had it say colorbox, classic, and quote, then it's obvious that all three is imply. A nice happy weekend to you.

Good catch, Miebakagh. I’m sure that’s why they said it that way.

Glenn, you're welcome.

2. billybuc profile image84
      billybucposted 2 years ago

I have no words other than these to describe HP at this point in time.....OH HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN!

3. AliciaC profile image93
      AliciaCposted 2 years ago

We all make mistakes in our writing at times, including me. Perhaps they're not being caught in the newsletter because the writer is very busy. We don't know how many other jobs they have to complete each day. That being said, I miss the community manager that this site once had. It was wonderful when they were able to share information with us and we could raise some concerns or ask questions.

I agree.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

OMG! In one of my response in this forum, I mistakely wrote 'too' instead of two, lol! I was feeling sleepy, and about to go to bed then. And the spam or junk has already happen. What can I do about it?                                           Can anyone here brand the issue as the. Devil print? Someone in the community had written a story about it. It affect books, dictionaries, encyclopedia, and much.                                           Don't worry. Clone/clown, dwarf/wharf, gal/girl are such.

3. HubPages profile imageSTAFF

Thank you for your understanding, AliciaC. We miss Samantha too! She was a fantastic community manager, and her absence has been felt by the whole team. We do our best to stay on top of the forums, but we don't want to make promises we can't keep. That said, we will renew our efforts to share information more proactively and ensure that our presence is felt here in the forums.

Good to hear.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

If you want your presence felt, it would be nice to have a name to go with the post, instead of "HubPages."  Samantha always posted as Samantha. And Tessa Buchin always posted as Tessa. But since they both left the company, we have no idea who is hiding behind "HubPages."

IMHO, it seems these managers or editors @team.hubpager.com don't ever had a writing account at HubPages.                                        Samartha Curbbison whom I follow has and wrote and publish articles. So is Tessa.                                         Likewise, they's this guy called Matt Well, who responds always in his name in the forums. But I don't know whether he has an account on writing stories or not.                                        Seriously, I'm infering that in a situation like this, team@hubpages.com is now meeting on a common front?

4. Eurofile profile image96
      Eurofileposted 2 years ago

I noticed that too, John. It seems that you are calling out HubPages on its Callouts. It is encouraging to see that I am not the only one who makes mistakes. No matter how many times I review an article, there are always errors that slip through.

1. Jodah profile image91

Oh, I make plenty of mistakes myself. But, as errors within the HubPages Weekly newsletter have been a topic of conversation recently, and as it offers us advice on how to improve our writing, I feel it should be thoroughly proofread before being emailed out. Perhaps I was just bored.

I agree with John that it should be thoroughly proofread before being emailed out. It's obviously not as lengthy as our articles, but when the site makes such errors every week, it needs to be addressed. It may not affect us, but newcomers read and learn from these newsletters smile

2. Nell Rose profile image90
          Nell Roseposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Lol!

5. Gianella Labrador profile image83
      Gianella Labradorposted 2 years ago

At first I was enlightened to read HubPages Weekly Newsletters, now I just let it silently collect dust in my inbox. I don't know how much importance it would affect the topics I wanna write or improve my articles. I just learn to explore the site and make improvements using capsules. Sometimes overdoing your article with extra efforts wouldn't sell as much as how your words simple as it goes no filter and just let it reach the readers. I make mistakes as well in my articles as I never proofread my hubs. After I finished writing it, it goes straight to publish. I just give it few edits when I need a capsule header. I'd just notice the errors and mistakes when I would read my own hub after a couple of hours has passed.

However, I agree with you John, that if they are suggesting how to improve writing our hubs they should proofread their articles and emails first. If people would check and follow their suggestions in every newsletter, without realizing the errors or mistakes in the mail, grammatically would it also affect their writing? If the thought was delivered correctly even if the grammar was wrong, would it still matter?

We all have our own ways and writing styles. We have different ways to present our hubs to our intended audience. We may or may not follow these suggestions and at the end of the day it's always up to us. Whatever style we use or how we deliver it, with God's guidance, it would still be beneficial to our readers. With God's gift of our ability to write and inspire others, I guess no matter how much we think our words may be nonsense at times, it may have a huge impact to others. What we may think as a small thing maybe a huge deal for others.

I guess if writing could make a difference to others life like other profession would, and could be a blessing to others, I guess that'd be the most rewarding and all that matters. We learn along the way and learning never ends so long as we live. We were bound to make mistakes.

I don't know. Sorry my mind wanders and might already be off the topic.

smile Hope it all goes well and what should be resolved must be resolved.

6. Gianella Labrador profile image83

Don't get me wrong though, maybe it does helps. They wouldn't provide those if it's not helping anyone on their articles. smile

7. Kenna McHugh profile image91
      Kenna McHughposted 2 years ago

Making mistakes is not uncommon. Professionalism is the ideal way to represent yourself, but it doesn't mean you don't make mistakes. The real issue is how people handle the errors from all perspectives.

8. divacratus profile image87
      divacratusposted 2 years ago

75% of people are good at Math. HP and I belong to the rest 30%.

9. Gianella Labrador profile image83

count me in with that @divacratus! not good with math either! big_smile

I'm resolviing an astronomical computation in astronomy to be filter into a wrie next month. Which class I belong to?                                         While as a boy, and in elementary school. I was reminded that Math and English are practicals for daily living, that these core subjects should be accord honors. Not because you're graduating in them as major or college honors.                                               The right computation whether its the amount of money to save or withdraw, a banking or marketing share, company dividend and so forth had to be accurate.                                     That said, take an English and a Math class class today.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

Math and English were my favorite subjects in school. Guess they served me well. I write part-time and I'm a full-time Project Accountant. I've been in accounting most of my adult life.

Thanks for the input.                                         I read accounting not as a core subject at college level. I had this cliche or motto to go almg with it 'Accuracy! Accuracy!! Accuracy!!!' in all computations, not the business minded  'EAOE'.

10. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years ago

Thank you, HubPages for your timely reply.

11. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years ago

Is there a minor glitch today at hubpages? Posts or comments appear weird on my phone's screen.                                           Again, I'm seeing only the 'reply' and 'more' button. The later seems to be clog with dust. Because when I hit it to edit, it look weird and delete my post. I'm using  Opera on my small Tecno T528 phone. Is any there experiencing sure challenge? Much thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)