Curious

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Abby Slutsky profile image93
    Abby Slutskyposted 20 months ago

Not asking for specific numbers of income as it's none of my business, but those of you that are making enough to believe it makes a difference, I was wondering when you started here and have many articles you have posted. I know the type of article and how search engines pick it up make a difference, but I am just trying to get a baseline for my own personal growth. Thanks to anyone willing to respond. Just curious what the average is here. I hope this is okay to ask.

1. ahmed-umair profile image79
      ahmed-umairposted 20 months agoin reply to this

i have just joined few days ago and posted 2 photoshop tutorials yet.. 1 is indexed waiting for the otherone.. i have a same question though

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 20 months agoin reply to this

I join HubPages at the time the Lens, is about to be absorbed by the former. I recalled it like yesterday...because the first online piece I've wrote was a Lens.                                          That said, I further recalled that I lost either my e-mail or password for the Lens so that first article, can't be transfer to Hubpages.                                    Having written 15 articles, hubpages send me a form to configure payment with AdSense. The money start to roll in little by little.                                   Then the  unexpect happen. I lost connection onlne. When  I return to HP, it has been absorb by Maven. In all, I wrote about 50 stories. My aim nowadays is to get some of them to the niche sites.

3. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Impossible to say what the average here is, but with 60-70 articles published here is my story.

Some articles never make it.  20% of your articles will produce 80% of your income.  That works in sales with clients as well.

There was a time - 4 years ago or more where with 55 articles I was about the break into  the 4 digit arena, but we got whacked again (My first whack was the Squidoo acquisition combined with a google update that killed my other account). So now I make half of that with 67-70 articles.

Before Amazon cut their commissions, I earned about 1/3 of my earnings from them.  At some point staff decided to make it impossible to add Amazon links, so I quit trying. Now Amazon contributes a happy meal a week.

It still makes a difference in my overall income strategy, but half as much as it once did, and I am left wondering why my impressions are half of my pageviews, when so many ads now reside on each article.  Do I only get 60% of every 3rd ad? 

I can't really contribute anymore to a site that will not make a clear statement on how we make our earnings.  And that is a shame, because they did have a good thing going on here and could again, but management is focused on elevating other platforms while they bleed this one.

I am waiting for the other shoe to drop here.

4. SerenityHalo profile image95
      SerenityHaloposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I’ve been here for nine years and have close to 600 articles. I’ve put a lot of effort in to get more content up and also present it better over the past couple of years. Even though earnings haven’t been as great this year, I think I’ve written some of my best stuff this year—and that does make me happy.

2013-2015, articles from those years still carry me, but they were admittedly rough in the beginning. After years of editing they became really strong.

I have plenty of stuff that needs to be redone…

2. Stephen Tomkinson profile image92
    Stephen Tomkinsonposted 20 months ago

Hi Abby,
    I've been on here for about 8 months and am still about 50 years away from making any money. The only direct help I can offer is don't do what I do.
    I'm using this site as a testing ground for what interests people and to sharpen those few writing skills that I have.
    I'll keep publishing articles and might hit the jackpot one day.
    You have a good balance of articles that should be successful - keep me posted!
    Steve

3. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 20 months ago

I am going on 11 years (joined at the end of 2011). For me, making payout every month is worth it (even if it is just the cutoff of $50). This was a hobby when I started, but I wrote plenty in the early years.

I started making payout every couple of months somewhere around 2015/2016, and every month by the end of 2017. At that time, I had over 100 articles, not sure how many as I have deleted quite a bit over the last few years. I don't think the number of total articles or how often you write matters too much, unless you are getting significant traffic (which is subjective) from each one. For me, only my top 10ish (I'd argue less most days), bring in the most views/money. I've had my top 10 articles rotate around throughout the years, but I have a solid top 3 that get me most of my views. For what it is worth, I have not submitted anything new since 2019.

This year was the first year since 2017, I wasn't able to make payout every month. With the new Google update coming, it will be interesting to see how HP fairs.

I joined right after the Google Panda update crushed HP and forced major changes. Not sure if that played a part in how long it took for me to start earning what I would consider enough money. I'd be interested to see how others fared who had been here before Panda hit.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
      PaulGoodman67posted 20 months agoin reply to this

I joined not that long before Panda struck. I feel like this upcoming update will be make or break, in some ways.

Given that HP hired a big team of editors to go through all the niche articles and improve the content (or kick out the stuff deemed to be weaker), we'd better see some success. If that doesn't work and we get punished again, it's difficult to see what else the site can do regarding content.

Fingers crossed that we're about to see a recovery. The content is generally of a way higher quality nowadays that it ever was in the past.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
        Shesabutterflyposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I agree. I'm really hoping the abundance of ads won't hurt us, because our content is much better than previous years. Especially pre-Panda. I wasn't here too long after, and I still remember how easy it was to write and get published here. The editors have been doing a fantastic job, I really hope it pays off for all of us.

I really thought the new ad they added about a year ago that is giving us roughly the same impressions as views or even a bit more, would really boost earnings. However, cpm's have been pretty low. At least for me, and the higher impressions haven't changed my earnings much.

The next two weeks should be very telling indeed.

2. SerenityHalo profile image95
        SerenityHaloposted 20 months agoin reply to this

100%. I want to peek at the future and see what things will be like two weeks from now… or a month from now.

4. Abby Slutsky profile image93
    Abby Slutskyposted 20 months ago

Thanks for sharing. I make payout about every other month and have over a 100 articles, but it is the same thing. I only have a few top producers. I have been here about 2 years, so I was never here when the payouts were more lucrative.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Abby, I started off with a few cents a month in 2012 not really knowing what to expect from HP or my crappy articles, gradually built up a store of decent material once I'd found my niche - poetry analysis!! - and ploughed on from there. Currently at 462 and still adding fresh material, with regular updates for those established. I'm disappointed if I don't make payout within the first 4-5 days. Three years ago I could earn the same amount or more in 2-3 days. Things have been bumpy for HP over the last 2-3 years, what with takeovers and the pandemic and so on and we're all having to work like crazy just to stay afloat. I don't usually get involved with the subject of earnings and such but thought I should state that it is still possible to make some money on HP if you keep ahead of the field, update and offer good quality. I still enjoy writing here on HP and am not tempted yet to sit back and do nothing but watch the dollars roll in. That said, measured progress is a tricky one re earnings versus time spent writing - we all have different schedules and aspirations - so it's a subjective thing. For me it's still worth my while competing, so I'll keep at it. I've worked hard for a decade or more, as have many others, and helped keep HP going - it'd be a nice bonus if Panda2's bottom line was reinforcing quality, despite the ugly ads regime we currently have going. Best of luck with your writing. And earning.

1. Abby Slutsky profile image93
        Abby Slutskyposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing.

2. greenmind profile image95
      greenmindposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Hi there!

I came over from Squidoo many years ago. I have found a good niche or two that provide me with enough income to make a difference – in a good summer month I usually make payout by the first day (winter is a different story, but still worthwhile).

For me, the path to payouts has been paved with constant attention to my library of articles: editing, adding, even deleting if it's a lost cause. I write new articles in bunches, whenever I get the time or the urge, and I always aim to provide useful, clean content. I regularly go through my library and fix broken links and add photos or polls. I am very conscious of the "front page" image, and I spend time on Picfont designing an attractive, accurate image that often shows up in searches. In other words, for me at least, "passive income" is not exactly passive!

Above all, as with most things in life, the key is to be patient and consistent over time.

5. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 20 months ago

I have been writing for HubPages since 2011 under the understanding that authors were getting 60% of the revenue. It took about a year to start making the monthly payout and all went well, even up to three-digit monthly earnings from April 2013. Then, in 2017 earnings tanked and have never recovered.
    Why?
    Apart from Google's aversion to content farms,
    https://hubstatic.com/16039673.jpg
    HP has been gobbled up by large corporations and our 60% share seems to have gone out the window. Even to the point that the management now refuses to tell us whether we are still getting our promised 60%.
    See this forum thread:
    What is the Current Share Percentage for Authors on HP?

I am now barely making a payout every other month.

6. leahlefler profile image96
    leahleflerposted 20 months ago

I joined in January 2011. It has been worth it for me - even if just making payout each month, it is helpful to the bank account. I also work a full time job, so I don't often have time to write as much as I used to - but do try to update older articles to ensure they are relevant and up  to the current quality standard. I am worried about another Panda update. It was devastating the first time and I am anxious about this coming one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)