How many people find that through depression you find new inspiration?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Sunshiney31 profile image66
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

Sometimes when I find myself wrapped in the fog depression brings,and once the fog has lifted I gain new insight and insiration.I'd like to hear your journies...

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i recently read that one researcher believes depression is an important evolutionary trait in that it motivates people to make necessary changes in their lives to alleviate the depression. beyond the artistic/creative outlet that people have for depression it would seem that however meaningless or pointless the depression there is usually a real reason for it. i.e. in a job you hate, with a person you shouldn't be with, clinging to habits that don't serve you, etc.
      instead of making changes people get on medication or find other ways to alleviate the symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/220858

2. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

It would depend on your outlet.

A creative outlet such as painting or music would allow a person who is melancholic to explore emotions through their chosen medium.

Writing could be such a vehicle, but not for me. I could be a roller coaster ride of emotions, even feel desperate, but I don't think being depressed would help my writing.

3. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

I often find inspiration lurking in my darker side, and much of my artwork and some poetry comes from depression or melancholy.  When I was young, most of my inspiration came from dark or negative emotions, as is the case for many dealing with teen angst, or angst that stretches into adulthood.

I did find that as I grew older, I intentionally searched for more uplifting things to inspire my creativity until I reached a point where I saw as much on the bright side of myself to draw from as the dark side.  I fought against plunging into depression to spark creativity.  Now, I reach inside and connect with whatever is there, light or dark, and use it for fuel.

4. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

For sketches and music,depression does help find some inspiration.
    For writing never, i need to be motivated in order to write something.

5. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Depression has never served to inspire my music. Healing from it has. But I guess indirectly, then, if I had not gone through depression, I wouldn't know what the healing process is like.

Indirectly, I agree with your observation. Depression itself always kills creativity and desire (and action) to create. There is something to coming out of depression that the body and mind says it's time to begin again. That's the important part of it.

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have to say that some of my most stunning artwork, poetry and such have resulted from some pretty deep depressive episodes.

actually, when i'm hypo- or even full blown manic i can't do anything but talk and laugh and yell and dance...i can't do any art. hmm

6. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Being sad can help me create. Being angry is a huge help. But depression turns everything off, and in that state I can't even daydream.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Inspiration can come from anything and everything that happens. smile Depression, the thoughts and energy, can be directed to making positivity appear, if properly used. If not, then it can be detrimental to living life.

Just a thought. smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I think every state of mind can find inspiration. sometimes just to start writing can change a mood. smile

there are certainly famous artists and writers who wrote while depressed
    slyvia plath - The Bell Jar

john keats, some of his 'odes'

abraham lincoln

winston churchill

edgar allan poe

charles dickens

leo tolstoy

the list goes on.

9. Tenerife Islander profile image69
    Tenerife Islanderposted 14 years ago

Under my other identity here I am the Bard of Ely and as a singer-songwriter I would say that depression is a definite inspiration for writing. Happiness and contentment are not. The blues is a musical genre brought about to express the problems in life. Some writers like Leonard Cohen have fashioned their careers out of depressed writing.

10. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I find I can write whatever state of mind I'm in.  The difference being do I generate serious material or articles regarding uncommon uses of moth balls, and I don't mean the white ones you put in your closet.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You could always write it all out and then decide to or not to publish. That's what I do. Then I publish and then I re-edit... I am OCD about my writing. Read it, no don't read it it's not ready... AHHH a comment someone read it before I was REALLY ready.

1. tobey100 profile image61
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean.  Took me a couple of hard years to learn when enough was enough.  Send it to the publisher before you ruin it.  Now I blast it out, proofread and let it go.  Onward and upward.

11. Faybe Bay profile image65
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

I have read that the brightest inspiration comes from the worst of circumstances. Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol was written in the winter, when he was about to lose everything. It literally saved his marriage and family life, and possibly Christmas altogether for many in Brittain.

12. myownworld profile image75
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

On the other hand, something as depressing as human suffering moves me to tears ....yet it also motivates me to action and inspires me to write too. In fact, most of my writing is the result of my travels to the poorest, most grief stricken places in the world.....and writing (or creating hubs) is one way I come to terms with it. smile

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mostly, human stupidity inspires me to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys).  Doesn't do any good but it makes me feel better.

13. rebekahELLE profile image84

I've written while feeling blue, some poems, trying to process feelings, it seems to help the thoughts find a place to be released.

when I read slyvia plaths book, it was hard reading at times, but what a glimpse into the human condition and how it affected her life.

leonard cohen is also one of my favorites.
    it's good to be able to move through these different emotions and not get stuck. action is the best cure I think.

I've read that light has a lot to do with depression, maybe even metaphorically turning on the light by writing can help...
    I live in sunny florida and when it's overcast even for a couple of days, there's a change in people's moods... interesting.

1. myClone profile image61
      myCloneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right about the light!  I live in the Pacific Northwest, where it is cloudy about 180 days out of the year, and the lack of sunlight does have an adverse affect on a lot of people.  I was advised to get a light box...and take 2000 iu of vitamin D.  Still haven't purchased a light box yet--I probably should though and then I could imagine I was in sunny Florida!  smile

14. Sunshiney31 profile image66
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

My thought is out of a darkened place .Light is born kinda like in the begining there was dark an endless viod and bam creation came from it..

15. myClone profile image61
    myCloneposted 14 years ago

Dealing with clinical depression for most of my adult life, I have learned how to use my depressive episodes in a healthy and positive way by letting my depressive emotions flow on paper.  My melancholy poetry for example is my means of "letting go" of the fear, anxiety, paranoia, and hopelessness.  But curiously, I am most inspired to write when I am depressed, and less inspired to paint, which I also enjoy doing.  So when I have snapped out of my depression, I know its temporary, and that is my window of opportunity to seize the other creative elements within me.  I guess what I am saying is that I have learned to embrace depression as a part of my being, not an enemy to defeat me or my purpose in life.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

are you still here?

16. rebekahELLE profile image84

you could try it and see! light is energy. because it is sunny here more than not, it amazes me when two days go by without sunshine and how it affects us...  I have read also that vit D helps, also to help lift your mood as well as vit E.

17. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i'm with you on the healing properties of sunlight. some days i can't get enough of it.

i don't suffer from depression, but i do know that some really mighty writing can come after going through, say an end of a love affair or something like that.

18. figment profile image74
    figmentposted 14 years ago

My poems our inspired through depression.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)