eHow is folding into Demand Studios

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (36 posts)
  1. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

The free eHow publishing is vanishing to be replaced with Demand Studios. It seems some people who met certain criteria were grandfathered in to DS and everyone else has to apply to them. To write for eHow means one has to be accepted into Demand Studios who looks like they have a tough join requirement.

Anyway thought I'd share.

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it's very easy to join.

if one can write.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Demand Studios turned me down sad

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL no way - one of the most illustrious writers on HP? It's their loss!

2. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On the plus side, I'm pre-approved and all my articles still get the WCP as they were written before April 5th, 2010. However, I am thoroughly confused as I've received about three emails (so far) from eHow - the new program does not have a very clear pay policy and although they mention 'freelance' information, they don't really mention anything similar to the WCP program. I'm going to have to wait and see what happens when my account transitions to the new Demand Studios account and go from there!

1. The10DollarMark profile image61
        The10DollarMarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if I read the FAQ properly...

-current articles will continue in the WCP program

-articles done on the DS platform will receive revenue share as well
        -articles done on the DS platform may be eligible for upfront payment, though (from the wording) it seems like if you get upfront you can't get revenue share
        -revenue share payments are done monthly. upfronts are done twice a week
        -You can choose to write your own articles or to take an assignment from a list

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

-articles done on the DS platform will receive revenue share as well    NOPE

-articles done on the DS platform may be eligible for upfront payment, though (from the wording) it seems like if you get upfront you can't get revenue share   WITH FEW EXCEPTIONS, IT'S ALL UPFRONT.

-revenue share payments are done monthly. upfronts are done twice a week   YES. ANY ARTICLES APPROVED M-T-W ARE IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT ON FRIDAY. ARTICLES APPROVED THURS THROUGH SUN ARE IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT ON TUES.

-You can choose to write your own articles or to take an assignment from a list  YOU CAN CHOOSE YOUR OWN TITLES--AT $5.00 A POP.

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I also write for e-how but I won't be writing for Demand Studios too much, they will be retaining all rights to your work.smile

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

which is compensated by their payment platform.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that is true smile There are pros and cons to it smile

2. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is self-defeating. E-How has shot themselves in the foot on this.

1. The10DollarMark profile image61
        The10DollarMarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Some writers don't care if they no longer have rights to their work as long as they're paid. Ehow will probably still be ok.

3. ani_tech profile image60
    ani_techposted 14 years ago

This seems to be a bad news

4. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

Figures I only join on like April 1. Already made money off my 1st article too (.35 cents). Not sure if I'll apply to DS or not though.

Those with eHow hubs should probably revise them

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry it will be o.k. smile

5. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 14 years ago

I'm not liking the shift either.  In general I don't like to sell all rights to my work, I've done it only once and I received a good bit of change for it.  I can't find pay rates anywhere in the info I've received from Demand Studios, so I'm really skeptical.

6. Jule Romans profile image96
    Jule Romansposted 14 years ago

I received an email with a terms of use and privacy policy link, and a statement that continued use after May 8 constitutes my agreement to these. Does that mean that Demand Studios has accepted me?

1. N. Ramius profile image73
      N. Ramiusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope. All it means is that the terms of use governing your previous submissions to eHow will change to these new terms and if you do not accept them, then delete your articles. Otherwise keeping your articles on the site after that date is an implicit agreement to these new terms.

You should have gotten an e-mail I think if you had been accepted into Demand Studios. I received one stating I had not met the requirements but could apply if I chose.

7. Jule Romans profile image96
    Jule Romansposted 14 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I did receive that other email. Just didn't read my inbox carefully. :-(

I applied to Demand Studios back in January- way before I had any Internet writing experience. I was turned down. I understand it is a one-time thing.

8. ReuseItAll profile image61
    ReuseItAllposted 14 years ago

I have been a writer at eHow who was recently pre approved at DS. I've visited and joined Hubpages today at the advice of other eHow writers. I am  not sure what to do yet with DS. I write articles that require my own photos which I cannot use at DS. I loved writing at eHow because I retained the rights to my work and I really don't like that aspect of DS too. I'm exploring other sites and am on the fence about removing my work at eHow at this point. We had no idea that this was about to happen so who would say that the site would fold entirely and all of my articles would be gone??

9. andromida profile image57
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I think ehow will see the negative impacts of strict DS approval procedures very soon.Anyway, it is just their business strategy.

10. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I don't write for either but it sounds like a bad move to me. sad

11. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Do you know of any other places on the web that pay for writing? I have found these so far:

Hubpages
    Gather
    Xomba
    Triond
    Bukisa
    Brighthub
    Infobarrel
    Helium
    Associated Content
    Live Journal
    Textbroker
    Suite 101
    Examiner

12. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 13 years ago

I have written three articles for ehow's new platform with Demand Studios, and I have to say I really like it.  Yes you do sell all rights, but you can get upfront payments of fifteen dollars per article.  All in all I do not think this is so bad, especially since you can make a nice little amount writing a few articles.

1. Dense profile image61
      Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi SeetiePie,
      I read that payment is from $5 to $25. How does one get $25?
      Do you direct your readers from here to there, or vice versa?

1. profile image57
        lilmisssunshine23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be eligible for $25 payments, you have to be approved for special, non-ehow payments.

2. profile image57
        lilmisssunshine23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be eligible for $25 payments, you have to be approved for special, non-ehow payments.

13. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 13 years ago

At the moment I am still writing for Demand Studios and enjoying doing this.  Some of the titles are funny, but you simply do not take the assignments that do not make sense.

14. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Sorry--I've been away for a while and just saw this.

Demand Media owns eHow and a bunch of other publishing sites. It also owns Demand Studios. Demand Studios provides content for DM-owned sites and also contracts to provide content for other clients. eHow did not fold into DS--DS just did away with the "anything goes" mentality of eHow. To write for eHow now, you must be approved by Demand Studios.

Once approved, you can write eHow articles for an upfront payment of $15 per article with no ongoing rights or RevShare. There are a few (very few) RevShare titles available, but you can suggest titles. If your suggested titles are approved and if you write them and if they go through editing, you get $5.00/article. Not really worthwhile in my book.

Having said all of that, Demand Studios rewards writers who can actually write with access to premium writing gigs that pay $20 to $30+ for each 400 word (minimum) article. I have written for Answerbag, Pluck on Demand, GolfLink, Trails, Travels, LiveSTRONG, ModernMom, Walden University, SFGate, Yellow Pages, etc. through Demand Studios. They have also recently taken on Chron.com and USA Today.

Their standards are rigorous, but honestly if you can cut it--they pay twice per week right into your PayPal account. And...you don't have to do any linking, marketing or promotion for the articles. Once they accept them, you wash your hands of them. Done. And if you want to write 100 articles in one week and then nothing for six months, that's cool too.

There are many folks at DS who write 10 articles per day. Even if those folks do not have access to premium assignments, that's a minimum $150/day which is $750/week (if you only write 5 days/week), which is almost $40k/year. And those folks usually have other gigs as well. I write $20 to $30 articles almost exclusively. At 10/day, that's a minimum of $1,000/week on a five-day week.

So, DS/eHow now is really only beneficial to those writers who can write high-quality articles pretty quickly. (Although, if you only write two $15 articles per day for them, that's still $10k per year. Not bad....)

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you around again, lrohner. How's the blog going?

Just curious - how do you get approved for the "premium" writing gigs?  I'm not a prolific writer so I don't like giving away the rights to my articles - at least not for $15.  $30+ sounds more like it, though!

Hey there Marisa!

IDK what the exact criteria is for getting premium gigs, but I know that you have to have had a certain number of articles approved with them and your scores (yes--writers get rated on each article) need to be decent. They put out calls for authors when they take on a new client, and you just need to let them know that you're interested and that you have some experience on the subject. I'm pretty sure that you can apply for some of them specifically, like LiveSTRONG--they're paying $25 per article.

15. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I never did anything with Demand studios.  It seemed incredibly disorganized and I wasn't really sure what they wanted.

LOL! What they want is for people to select titles and write good content around them. Pretty simple. With something like 8,000 writers and 1,000 editors, they can't be that disorganized. smile

1. Len Cannon profile image89
        Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What  I saw seemed like mostly random keywords with no indication of what the client was looking for.  Maybe things have changed, I haven't looked in a long time.

Hmmm..random keywords? Not sure what you're talking about. They don't give us keywords--just titles to choose from. How can a title like (hypothetically) "How to Fry an Egg" be ambiguous?

Here's a sampling of some of the titles in my queue that I'm writing now:

Lodging in Denver, Colorado (eHow)
          Teenage Girl Bedroom Styles (Modern Mom)
          Causes and Consequences of Child Abuse (LiveSTRONG)
          The Best Restaurants in Honolulu (Yellow Pages)
          Creative Marketing Ideas for Apartment Communities (SFGate)

And for each of these publishers, they have pretty detailed Guidelines and templates. So I'm just not following you. Sorry. This stuff really and truly isn't rocket science.

1. Len Cannon profile image89
            Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)