So, I def made some $

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (39 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I checked my google adsense
    and I know I made:

Totals $5.80
    average .06

From Feb-today

close to 2,000 impressions

IS THIS GOOD? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO EARN $100??

btw, what do:
    CTR
    CPM
    CSV
    AND CPC stand for?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i had my first Google adsense revenue > $100 payout ($152.11) 01/27/10, and i wrote my first hub 07/08/09, so as you can see, it can vary, so ...patience, Grasshopper wink

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, dear smile I guess because this is my only job I get consumed!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Anything averaging at $1 per thousand views and above is good.

CTR - Click through rate. What % of visitors click your adverts. It's against ToS to reveal this to anyone.
    CPM - Estimate of how much you earn per 1000 views on that site (or hub if you have channels set up.) Obviously this goes up and down on good or bad days.
    CSV - A report you can download of your earnings.
    CPC - Cost per click. Basically some adverts may pay you 10c, others may pay you $2. Obviously if you're targeting high CPC keywords you have a greater chance of earning more money.

Earning $100 can depend on your views and subjects of course but for most people it takes an average of 6-9 months to get their first $100. Then after that the payments get closer and closer.

very useful, Wry-may I call you Wry? smile
      Thanks so much for a great answer!

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

Wry is fine, it's better than WryLit a common misspelling I seem to get on the forums!

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May I call you WryLilt?

tongue

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

wink

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a pretty broad statement. The hubpages average is between $3-5 per thousand and I know several people who make considerably higher than this. So the OP is under the low end of the average here.

I am eagerly awaiting her next hub explaining how all this works for newbies to learn from. sad

And in answer to the OP's unanswered question - at her current rate of earnings  it will take 17 months, 13 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes to make the $100 payout minimum. Give or take. wink

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is always nice to have something to look forward to, however distant.

2. WryLilt profile image88

To add on to Mark's answer...

Your 2000 views probably have a lot of hubpages internal views so it's still fairly good and;

the older your hubs get and the more you write, the more money you will earn each month. My first few months only earnt me a few cents but this month I've almost cleared $40 (adsense) and nearly $7 (amazon).

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

You should read the OP's hub entitled "Essential Tips to Make Money on Hubpages For Newbies" - She is somewhat of an expert on how to make money here - despite not having made any. lol lol

Am I the only person on hubpages who didn't write a make-money-online hub as a newbie??

I'm sure you didn't mark, too crass for your style. It's what kangaroo_jase calls Hub Moneycus Monotonous.

1. darkside profile image63
              darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sadly it happens all too often. A classic case of the blind leading the blind.

Even More Off-Topic: Whereabouts in Australia are you?

Sent you a message on FB. Rather not reveal locations in a public forum. smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
                  Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Folks it seems are even starting to remember the term of description I have given the name of for that type of hubbing (the noun). Hmmmm, need a term for the adjective version.

Again, this hub is about keyword tool.
                I didn't write anything I didn't know (like Seo)

1. IzzyM profile image88
                  IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The keyword tool is there for advertisers, not for publishers. However, it can be used by publishers if they know anything about SEO, so the two are interlinked.

2. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.  Some of us here have this weird attitude: we'd rather write hubs on stuff we actually know something about...

3. Mark Knowles profile image59

No - I sensibly waiting until such a time as I had actually made some money and knew what I was talking about. But - I am not extremely religious - as she is.

I genuinely don't know why they bother - this is one of the most competitive subjects you can go for - and the garbage she regurgitated makes almost no sense.

While that may result in quite a good adsense CTR as the reader is so frustrated - it is not a long term strategy I choose to employ. My ethical standards do not allow it. "Moneycus Monotonous" sounds about right - there must be huindreds of such garbage on hubpages. sad

Plus attracting traffic to that subject is quite hard. Do a google search for "how to make money blogging" or "making money online" and you will probably find me. But - I know what I am doing. wink

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
                Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, truly your hub titled "making money online" is on the first page of google even from my local google geographical search; that's great.

So funny that many people writing about making money online with the associated hypes on the Internet are not truly making the money...  smile

4. profile image0
              ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I waited for a year before having a go at one of those... even then I firmly stated that I am no expert wink I backed it up with my earnings statistics though, for the avoidance of any doubt...

5. Dale Mazurek profile image61
              Dale Mazurekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem is that so many of these make money over night programs have recognized Hubpages as a great way to get traffic that they teach their affiliates to use Hubpages as a place to spam their products.

Dale

That's cool, Wry smile
          I agree on time and writing.
          As they say for a good laugh, you need disaster + time = funny
          And for hubpages you need good writing + time!
          we must remeber that.
          Mark, is just a meanie sad

Actually I agree with Mark on 90% of the things he writes in the forums.

I just don't bother writing those things because no matter how wrong someone is, telling them so will only entrench them deeper in their incorrect beliefs.

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74

Mark is right and correct on that time frame, most likely 'it will take 17 months, 13 days, 2 hours, 48 minutes' is horribly not that far from the most likely scenario.

Unless you never shut up like me, and have an opinion on everything. big_smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74

lol lol lol lol

3. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

lol--My husband and I have a shared Google Adsense account, both of us on here for over a year, and we STILL haven't had our first payout...

Patience is definitely OUR virtue, haha... lol

4. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I haven't tackled that particular subject either, and have no intention of doing so until I really know what I am talking about. I'm maybe half-way there...but that's nowhere near good enough to make it a subject I would write about. OK my hublog for the 60 day challenge mentions something along those terms, but it's not a how-to tutorial. I'm amazed at the number of newbies who think they can possibly rank for those terms.
    And yes Mark Knowles's Making Money Online hub is indeed making money! (Check google.com) Well done Mark!

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Mark she might just have thought that's what a newbie who doesn't know anything is supposed to do. I can't count the number of new (and/or unsuccessful) hubbers who come to the forum, ask a question about making money, and then write a hub based on the answers - and put it forth as their own knowledge.

And then so many other hubbers comment and thank them for a wonderful hub.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Oh - no doubt. It just seems dishonest I guess, and we had a run in on the religion forum - she is very religious. There is so much garbage here already, and it doesn't take much common sense to realise that writing about something like "making money on hubpages" and then asking obvious newbie questions and showing that you are not actually making any money is - hate to say it - but - "wrong" on so many levels.

I guess I am pissed off at religious people who claim to love and be honest and blah, blah, blah - then write misleading lies which just add to the crap here. I mean - I told her I hate liars who do this and she responds by telling me she hates atheists.

And I realize there is so much crap out there telling you what to do that it could easily be mistakenly thought of as a good thing - but, really. I spend a lot of time doing research on those subjects I want to write about as they may be profitable - and there are some things you cannot write about with honesty until you have actually done it. I am not going to try and teach you how to fold and pack a parachute until I have folded and packed my own.

I don't know what the answer is - but I do know I wasted an awful lot of time listening to people who write this sort of stuff when I first started out and am also pissed off at people who set themselves up as being qualified to write about this - and then it turns out they are regurgitating the same nonsense. Because - as a newbie - it is hard to sort the wheat from the chaff and the only way to find out which is which is to try it.

So - I guess this one was the "perfect storm" as far as I am concerned. I usually ignore them. Oh well. sad

1. profile image0

I think though that it's wise for newbies to adopt a "consider the source" approach and thus weed out some of the more obvious crap. It's not 100% foolproof, but it will help.   

So for example it makes sense for a new HP member to listen to someone like yourself, who has written a lot of hubs and has an established Internet presence outside HP, rather than to someone who only joined HP two weeks ago and has just a few hubs to their name. 

I joined HP when Ryan Hupfer was still on HP's staff so when someone posted a link to his YouTube video on keyword research, it seemed like a sensible move to check it out.  My thinking was "he actually works for HP, so he should have a vague idea of what he's talking about."

whatever, mark, go pick on people in the religious forum like you do. I don't need your insults

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I completely understand Mark, that's why I'm so leery of listening to "How to make Money Online" gurus. Hard to tell who's legitimate. Plus, the world changes so quickly, what worked yesterday, might not work today. Better to learn how to teach yourself.

As far as the religious forums, your own your own.....

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I still consider myself pretty much a newbie when it comes to making money, it is coming along and I'm 10.00 short of my first google payout But what bothers me about people writing on the subject is the massive amount of saying exactly the same thing in every article they write. I read an article this morning about the fast way to make $ with google and was very disappointed. why does a seasoned writer give that kind of title when it is clearly not a fast process? the content was the same thing. it seems to me that there are methods that must be used, but the bottom line is writing about what people are searching for.  I don't see how that many articles can be written on one subject. hmm

EDIT: I just checked google. I'm now $4.47 short of first payout.

1. profile image0

Yay!  My first one has just gone into my account and reduced my overdraft by the princely sum of £64 lol lol

8. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Let us go back to the original question.

2,00 page views over 70 hubs in 6 months is not very good, no.  You will need to bump that up quite a bit to have much chance if seeing any money.

But of course we do not know the timing or distribution.  If a hub you wrote this week has 2,000 views and the rest have nothing, you are doing fine - with that hub, anyway.

Assuming somewhat even distribution, each hub got about 30 views.  Because some were written earlier and some later (I assume), we might guess that averages to 10 views a month each?  That is not good.

If it is all on the increase, don't worry too much.  If nothing much has changed, you need to be doing something very different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)