Amazing Hubpages Day Yesterday.....

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I beat my record number of impressions by about 600, I beat my AdSense record by about 75 cents, meaning that my AdSense record now stands at approximately $47.45..... and I shipped 8 Amazon items for $35.17 commissions. Whilst that Amazon day is nowhere near a record, it is still heading in the right direction.

Roll on Christmas! This is all mightily important to me of course, having just quit my job to do this online stuff full time smile

1. CollegePrepU profile image61
      CollegePrepUposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan...you had a $47.45 DAY w/Adsense???

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my average is over $30 now.

You should perhaps bear in mind that I have approximately 43 times the number of hubs as you, use trackers regularly, and have about 150 referrals... I am still way off the top dogs on here (that was an unintentional pun, just to clarify... that dog in the avatar IS the top dog, or top bitch to be precise wink)

Nice!
          I wasn't comparing us by any means.  I've only been around for like 2 weeks.... just pumped to see ANYONE making that kind of Adsense income on Hubpages!

Congrats man!

1. profile image0

There are plenty of hubbers that make 3 times more than me, it is my goal to stand alongside them. In reality, the day that I had yesterday is the day that I will need to have most days now that I have resigned from my real job.

Do you want one piece of advice? Xmas is the biggest time of the year, get publishing those product hubs now if you want to cash in!

Thanks!
              I'll probably stick to what I know best (college related info)...although I'm sure Christmas will bring in a lot of money for product related Hubs!  Hubpages gives me something to do while our website/blog gets a makeover...been a long process so I figured I'd spend my time productively instead of sitting around waiting it out!  big_smile

Good luck to you!

1. profile image0

Thank you, and good luck to you too.

2. ross670daw profile image60
          ross670dawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well done ryankett, nothing like "having" to make a full time income online to use as  motivation. Geez, with 470 hubs, won't be long till you hit 500 and making $100 a day.  I also noticed you are leading referrals on shetoldme as well. Great stuff mate.

1. profile image0

SheToldMe turned out to be a complete waste of time in all honesty, I still have days on there without making a single cent. Although it has to be the first time that I have ever managed to top a referral table, so all good experience smile

1. ross670daw profile image60
              ross670dawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a shame, and surprising. I recently joined shetoldme because a lot of Hubbers here seemed to recommend joining there. If you're not able to squeeze a buck out of them I don't think I'll have much of a chance.

1. profile image0

I still use them for the easy 'DoFollow' backlink, and my hubs which are backlinked there perform better than the ones which are not. So for that reason, continue using the site. I never signed up for the revenue, just expected the revenue to be better. The quick and easy backlink (for SEO purposes) is still worth the effort. Same with Snipsly, thats probably the better site (and easier too).

3. hubber-2009 profile image56
          hubber-2009posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So are you paying taxes on your hubpages ?

1. profile image0

Yes, I am registered as self-employed. This means a yearly tax return, I retain a proportion of my earnings in a savings account which will be used to pay my tax bill following next April 1st. I am dreading the form.

I actually registered as self-employed on June 1st, when I realised that my earnings were about to take off. Why do you ask?

4. adrienne2 profile image65
          adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan you are on the ball!!  Having 150 referrals is amazing. You are a very hard worker.  I have started using sniply for backlinks, and noticed you over there as well.  Is sniply one of the sites you have found to be a favor for you?

1. profile image0

It doesn't make me much money, or win me much traffic, at least not directly.

If you see my post above about SheToldMe, the same applies really. I use it solely for the 'DoFollow' backlink. I backlink my hubs on numerous sites, of which Snipsly is one. All I know is that the hubs which I backlink end up much further up the search engines than the ones which I don't...

Whether or not Snipsly plays a part in that I do not know, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and continue to backlink there wink

1. adrienne2 profile image65
              adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Ryan, I appreciate your answering my question. And congrats on such an awesome day yesterday!!

2. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another thing about Amazon, if you were to do some video reviews of actual products, these could be products you own or lend from the library (I do it all the time....the librarians look at me funny when I lend different stuff out each fortnight!!!) I've found that if you have a youtube account that has a goal of reviewing products on video you can share these out on related hubpages or other webpages that you have control of.....this is one thing that has boosted my Amazon earnings in the last year and a half.

It might take a while to experiment with different formats of videos and it certainly took me awhile with over 12 Youtube accounts....but since you have no dull job now to drag you down, then I suggest you do try this route of earning from your videos....I've just started some Ebay video reviews which seem to be picking up some pace.

2. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Very nice, it feels good to be working for yourself doesn't it! I've been there for two years and it's great, however I get most of my income from other sponsors than here.

I'm trying to get up there with adsense, still averaging only 10 to 15 bucks a day. I'm also opening a full store with Amazon products in all my websites.

One word of advice however, if your now doing this full time and dependent on your web work for all your income,,,,,

Diversify!!!

I can't stress that enough. I have over a dozen different ways of making money online, with over 60 different sponsors, ad revenue streams and so on.

With so much changing all the time and things rough all over for everyone, you never know when one of your revenue streams will suddenly croak.

Get your own sites going, spread yourself out and cover all your bases. Having said that Hubpages is a wonderful way to make money, as your doing. Congrads. smile

1. profile image0

Bill, I now have time to develop my new niche website, remember I bought that Wordpress hosting wink I might get cracking on that today.

I am actually going to stay clear of AdSense on that one. I will be using Amazon affiliate, but finding the best alternative to serve ads.... in order to (hopefully) create a third major revenue stream. Any recommendations?

1. Bill Manning profile image68
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, who you use for sponsors depends on what the niche is about. Amazon covers everything pretty well. But other big boys are:

Shareasale
        Commission Junction
        Clickbank

If you dig enough you can find individual ones also. You also can sell items yourself if you find good, REAL wholesalers. I sell leather jackets using Paypal as my merchant account.

Don't forget selling advertising on your own sites also. I just made 75 bucks for 3 simple text links on my sites, and make a few hundred a year off banners in my sidebars.

Feel free to email me any questions you have, being on your own is both liberating and scary at the same time! smile

1. profile image0

Many thanks for your kind offer Bill, its good to have a few offers of help... it means that I can ask each kind volunteer a couple of questions each, rather than unfairly bombarding the same person a thousand questions a day lol I just need to dig up that old Wordpress thread, there were 3 people on there offering help, I will hold each person to their offers though! I never turn down an offer of free knowledge!

1. mega1 profile image80
            mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would you please sell you dog to me?  She is just what I need and want for a companion.  If I gave you 10% of my HP earnings I could pay about $3.88 for her!

1. profile image0

Sorry mega1, she is away from Daddy at the moment and I miss her like mad... not having her here has made me sink into depression, and I can't wait to see my little bundle of joy again. Nobody else, ever, is having my little girl!

3. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Well done Ry, I beat a few records recently..I just need a few more hubs to take off the way one has. I managed to get 1400 views to my best hub last weekend, I hope I can keep the position it has as 3rd on Google first page.
    I wish I could quit my day job, you say you got $47 dollars in a day, but your from the UK aren't you? so that's about £25 a day? that awesome! I was getting £10 a day over the weekend, wish I could keep it at that.
    Thanks again for keeping us informed!

1. profile image0

Well with the current exchange rate it actually works out at £31.60 (well my AdSense is displayed in £ and thats what it said).

So my total earnings yesterday of $82.62 equate to £55.08. If I can make that on a daily basis, considering the 7 day residual week, then that is £20k per year.

My average day at current is about £30 across AdSense and Amazon. Which isn't quite sufficient, I will get there though. To think that I am earning £210 a week from Hubpages now is astonishing, but I want to double that. Remember that there is tax and national insurance to pay! Bastards!

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow tats astonishing! Do you think I will ever get there? I find it hard to apply all the techniques you use because I have cook and clean when I finish work at 2pm each day..lol I am trying though and put hours in each day smile
        I'm aiming for £300 a month at the moment.. that will help because I want to move out of shared accommodation. My dad said there is a minimum amunt before you have to pay tax?

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what the minimum amount is now exactly for paying tax in the UK. Read your tax code, if it says something like 245L, that mean you have to earn £2,450 per annum before you start to pay tax. When you are employed by someone else, the taxman divides your annual allowance by 52 and deducts that weekly allowance from your pay packet before charging you the percentage they take.
          If you earn on here on top of wages you may be earning, you have to declare them and will likely get taxed at the full rate. If at the end of the year, your earnings are less than your tax code allowance, you will get a rebate.
          When you are self-employed, like Ryan, you will be able to claim back expenses like a portion of the electricity bill used to run the computer, and quite possibly all of the money you pay to get internet access. Doubt if they'll foot the coffee bill, but worth a try! Also anything you have to pay out money for, like web hosting, will be tax deductable.

1. profile image0

It is £6475, as they got rid of the 10% bracket.

1. IzzyM profile image86

You can earn over £100 a week in the UK without being liable for tax now?
              Wow! That is some difference from just a few years ago.

1. profile image0

I didn't see much difference. Although I am not too sure how far you are going back!

The 2003-2004 tax threshold was:

Personal Allowance: £4,615
                10% Tax Threshold:  £1,960
                Basic Rate (22%):   £1,960 - £30,500

Somebody on £20k would deduct £4,615, so thats £15,385. Then deduct £1960 (£196 tax paid) = £13425
                22% on £13425 = £2953.50
                Total tax paid = £2953.50.

The 2010/2011 tax threshold is:

Personal Allowance: £6,475
                No 10% Threshold
                Basic Rate (20%): £0 - £37500

Somebody on £20k would now pay £2,650 income tax. Of course, that fails to take into consideration the MASSIVE fuel and food inflation.

So that saves £303.50 per year for somebody earning that amount without a single pay rise (which isnt unusual now in this climate, if you can find a job!).

I would bet that most peoples Council Tax bills have risen by that in the past 6 years. Nobody is better off IzzyM, everybody is much worse off in reality! That threshold may have risen in monetary terms, but in real terms? The rise in threshold is very slight, inflation was ludicrious for a few years, you would get a shock in a British supermarket!

1. IzzyM profile image86

I left the UK in 2003 but was self-employed for 20 years before that.
                  If you think your supermarket prices are high you should visit the continent.
                  I've been saying it for a few years now, and am heartened to hear others say it too now, that walking into a UK supermarket is like walking into a sweetie shop.
                  You may not appreciate it, but the choice and prices you have there are fabulous compared to other places in the EC.
                  As to council tax, I left a house in the UK that cost me £1,500 a year in council tax (Scotland was always much more expensive than England after Maggie Thatcher insisted we got an extra 'review' that England never suffered) to a house here in Spain that initially cost well less than £100 a year in council tax. That has now risen by over 400%, the shops prices by God knows what percent, but they are much dearer now than the UK. Petrol is also well up, never really came down after the oil crisis. The ONLY things cheaper here now are cigarettes and booze and they are catching up rapidly...do Tesco still sell a litre of Smirnoff for £10? Well the same here costs €14.
                  Only difference is we can buy an unknown name or brand that we have never heard of for approx, €4.
                  Taxes here are a lot higher than 20%, and there is no social security when unemployed.
                  There is a plane leaving tomorrow from Alicante...think I'll be on it!

1. profile image0

At least the weather is nice wink

2. profile image0

My understanding is that all income has to be declared.

There is a tax threshold in the UK of £6,475. You only pay tax (20%) on the amount above that.

I am assuming that your PAYE job already swallows that £6475 per year, so technically you need to pay 20% on everything that you earn on hubpages. Plus a different class of NI contribution, £2.40 per week I believe for your 'self-employment' whilst also being 'employed'.

I only registered as self-employed after my earnings exceeded £200, when I decided that the risk was not worth taking.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
            Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah cool, I might have to do that soon, I assume my 4th adsense payment might break into 200 quid a month so I'll just wait and see if my current earning trends follow suit.

2. waynet profile image70
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha...yeah the tax men are bastards!!!

4. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

Nice job!  I have a long ways to go, but my unique amazon visitors are going up pretty well although sales are not as good as last month.

Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration.

5. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

If only I could reach the same sort of amounts of money as you!  Maybe I could with twice as many hubs.

Congratulations though and it is good to hear success stories!

6. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Great work, Ryan - good to see that your effort is paying off.

I have been self-employed for about three years, and it is full of ups and downs. We hit a low when the economic crisis struck and practically resorted to looking down the back of the sofa for enough change to pay the bills. Now we are doing OK and I can start working on the house.

It sure beats the hell out of working in a shop, though!

If you need any advice or you just want to vent about the taxman, feel free to mail anytime smile

PS: I hope that your good adsense week translates into a bad football weekend - we need those points big_smile

7. creativeone59 profile image68
    creativeone59posted 13 years ago

Congrats on your winfall, continue moving forward. Godspeed.creativeone59

8. raisingme profile image77
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Just stopping to add my congrats and then I'm going to re-read, from top to bottom, this particular forum.  Your sharing your news has also resulted in a wealth of information.  Well done and I'm glad you posted your news!  big_smile

9. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

Way to go!

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Good job smile

11. cindyvine profile image67
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

It's taken a while for me but finally my google views are far outnumbering my hupages views.  Initially, I wrote for other hubbers.  But now I'm more aware of amazon and adsense when I write a hub.  Sometimes, I do still write hubs just for fun.  But I definitely need to jump on the Christmas hubs!

12. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Way to go, Ryan!  Yesterday was a great day for me, too with both AdSense (~$12) and Amazon (sold 12 items)- followed by a terrible day so far today (with AdSense, anyway!)

Go figure!  Go with the flow, actually!

13. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I admit most of my hubs have no Amazon links. I've never had one single sale with them, on here or my sites.

But since I'm going to start a store in my website using Amazon products I suppose I should start putting them back in my hubs. smile

14. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

Hi Ryan,

I take my hat off to your persistence in your earnings and it shows its paying off.
    Congrats on becoming a full time internet entrepeneur.
    Wish I could say the same. Still have a long way to go before quiting the day job. Nearly at my first 1000 adsense clicks though and had a record 6 amazon sales this weekend.Things are snowballing slowly.
    Good luck.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Congrats Ryan, determination and goal setting works!

16. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Way to go, Ryan.  That's great that you can be self employed in this kind of work, though I can't imagine how you did it while holding a regular job at the same time.  Great work!

17. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

well done

If you have not already done so take advantage of the free courses that HMRC run which will help you understand how to keep records and your tax liabilities. There are all sorts of rules and regs that look daunting, but actually after the sessions they are not so daunting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)