Someone is spoofing HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I just got this in my email:

"Warning: Leshkina

I am Sam Kokou, the rights lawyer and personal attorney to the end
    Mr.Andrey Leshkina, a citizen of his country, who used a contractor andimporter here in Lome, Togo (West Africa). April 21, 2007, my client, his wife and their only daughter were involved in a terrible accident on the way Nouvissi Express. All passengers on the car unfortunately lost there lives. I am contacting you to assist in Repatriation Fund 10.400 thousand dollars, my client until he confiscated or turned in unclaimed financial companies......"

It's the old "I need you to help me move money" scam.

It came from "Sam via hubpages," with the return address of email@hubpages.com.  The HubPages stuff at the bottom of the email was pretty well replicated.

I just thought the hubpages staff ought to know someone is spoofing them, either with a hupages account of via a hack, or with a clever script.

Cheers.

1. Greek One profile image62
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, my name is Sam (AKA 'Greek One' here on Hubpages).

I can assure you that my email was 100% legit.

Thank you for your support during these troubling times here in Togo.

1. Aficionada profile image78
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol

Wouldn't the "email address not verified" message be a pretty strong clue that something's up?

1. Greek One profile image62
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i change my email addresses all the time...  can't be never too safe here in Togo

2. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I think you should also e-mail the staff directly about this.

3. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Maybe Sam at hubpages really is doing a scam,,,, lol

4. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

I GOT THIS ONE YESTERDAY.... I DID FORWARD IT TO HUB CENTRAL SO FAR THEY ARE BEING DISGUSTINGLY SILENT ABOUT THE WHOLE THING.

HUBBERS ARE NOT STUPID PEOPLE BUT THEY DESERVE A WARNING.

I GUESS THIS WILL HAVE TO DO !

akiri (akiri661@yahoo.com) nazeman on HubPages
    has sent you this message.
    (email address not verified)

Hello,

I am a personal Lawyer to a foreign national who was a Chartered Town Planner in my Country-Lome Togo,Africa.

My client left behind $16.6 Million US dollars in a bank before he died in gas explosion with his family some years ago.

The bank issued me a short notice to present a next of kin or have the fund confiscated.

Since I have been unsuccessful in locating any relatives of my client, I would like you to stand as the next of kin so that the bank will release the fund to you for investment partnership between us instead of leaving the fund to be confiscated by the Bank.

Reply urgently through my private email address below for full details : akirinaze2@hotmail.fr

Regards.

Mr.Akiri Naze.

20B,rue du Chemin de Fer,

Lome Togo,Africa.

5. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Oh Yes, Forgot to tell you all I won a million Dollars om the Thailand Lottery Two Days ago.

Yep, They have finally found Hub Pages....that and Nicey No Speeky Good Engleesh Russian Ladies...

6. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

This is an instance of what is known as the Nigerian fraud or the 419 scam.

7. iantoPF profile image80
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

If you throw out enough of these someone will take the bait. Some time ago I wrote a Hub on the "Greatest money making opportunity ever" a number of people thought it was hilarious and joined in the fun. Then I had to remove the comments capsule for a while and add a disclaimer because some out there were taking it seriously and wanting in on the scheme.
    I can't figure it out.

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Let's wire monopoly money and say we felt so bad we doubled it, may you be at peace, around the world, should you need more please contact Harvey S.  who by the way, just published a beautiful book [best I can tell]  It's the best, to actually publish, one becomes immortal.  Way 2 Go

Ok serious again so then ZZ will forward get out of jail card and Boardwalk property deed, he'll smile, least til he can gwt to a hut to try and cash-that was way too far, greek said he's pay me to say it

OH THE VIAGARA AND MEDICAL CENTRE EMAILS FLYING EVERYWHERE FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW WELL HERE, DIDN'T SEND THEM - YOU'LL GET IT RIGHT AWAY\

DELETE IT THEN SEND A NOTE TO SENDER, HOKEY HAS BEEN HIT BAD

JUST CHECK I GUESS BEFORE OPENING

do the caps lock have a stronger effect on the importance of my point or does it seem like I am screaming?  Cause I am = Figure since I ca't hear you, must be the same for you  lol

Btw That's Uncle to Greek sporting the One oooooooo roll  come on I love greek sculptures, really really do

Kimberly AKA depends on next thread :ID

Point; if your going to email with unknown or multiple emails, please be smart and stay safe.

out

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3833048.gif

Go SLOW

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3943106_f248.jpg

1. Anesidora profile image61
      Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

Good response.

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok. That's the kind of response you can imagine when you have a sense of humour.
        I happened to inspect one of those mail headers apparently coming from Africa and I found a New York network provider behind.
        So, this is "domestic" spoofing for the most.
        So, you can feel at home

9. Loveslove profile image61
    Lovesloveposted 13 years ago

I also get e.mails of a similar nature ..on an almost weekly basis,they dont even get opened I delete immediately.

10. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

yeah. Got some of those too.
    No hassle, no fuss.
    Just delete it, that's all.
    As an open site whose server is configured like "Allow from all",
    we're exposed. The site is exposed.
    Critical sense from members make part of the site's security.
    Let's just hope that spoofing messages keep the ingenuous side this one has.

11. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Someone is spoofing HubPages"

This really is just more proof that HP is becoming a well-known, respected website and company.

When scammers perpetrate their scams, they don’t pretend to be from some company located in outer Mongolia that sells toothpicks.smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Are you saying that Hub Pages is NOT a company located in outer Mongolia selling toothpicks? I am so embarrassed!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)