This is totally schizoid!

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

I just met someone who says she has 40 writing accounts under 10 different pen names. Seriously? I have trouble keeping up with one pen name! I can't imagine having 10!

How many pen names do you have? I just have the one, but I do have a second account here. It's under A. Warren, though, so not much difference.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

one pen name, well two but one was for an autiobiography, one here of course
      I have two accts here. that's it really

this person must be......................very active

one thing I do know is the more people UNDER you here, you get 10% in additon for every acct!

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't sign up under your own account. It violates HP's TOS and is a sure way to get slapped or banned.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, good to know!

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having just re-read the HubPages TOS, and not seeing anything that resembles your above statement, I'd like for you to clarify exactly where you are getting your info.

1. profile image0
            Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why? Are you guilty? Hmmmm??? Tell, Relache!

1. camlo profile image84
              camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it's allowed, I'm going to set up more accounts and earn even more money, and get even more confused ... if that's possible.

2. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Hi Amie,
      I like you can only manage one account. I have to many other interests, such as cycling, splitting wood, reading, and the beat goes on.

1. profile image0

I know! How many different articles can you write? You need to have a real life too, right?

3. b. Malin profile image67
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

I am only one person...also with lots of interests.  But being on Hub Pages is "time consuming"...I love writing...I breathe it...Don't understand  the account end...never got involved.

1. profile image0

I've heard conflicting reports. Some say stick with one site and you will do better, and some say write for everybody. I have one money account (DS) and this one and a blog I just started, and never write in. I could never do 40 of them.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

She must have a notebook and list who she is when! talk about a split personality

1. profile image0

I know! She says it takes juggling. I don't think she does much social networking on most of them, just writing and blogging. One of them at least is an "adult" account. She says that's where she makes most of her money. I bet!

5. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 13 years ago

I can’t imagine how anyone could find the time to write regularly for all of forty writing accounts, even if they didn’t have a full-time job! Forty accounts and ten pen names would so so confusing. I have two pen names for a few writing sites, and that’s all I can handle!

1. profile image0

She does it full time, so that's one thing, I guess. She says she writes for each place about once a week, so she must work some hellacious hours.

6. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Well, I get confused with just two accounts on HubPages:
    I only participate in Forums under this account, but I have forgotten to log off my other account a number of times, and answered a Forum Post ...luckily nothing too important, and nothing that needed further response ... so far.

1. profile image0

I did that once too. Luckily, mine are almost the same name, or I could not keep up.

1. camlo profile image84

It's quite horrifying when you press the 'submit' button, and the wrong profile picture stares back at you.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

You do not need another account unless you have multiple personalities and like talking to yourself. big_smile

1. camlo profile image84

I use the other one for a particular type of Hubs. This one is just for a few bits and pieces that don't make too much money.
      BTW, I don't talk to myself (only my two plants and my cat apart from other humans), but I am a Gemini.

2. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a few accounts for this very reason as it's good to talk.

8. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 13 years ago

I knew a black hatter once who said he had 72 blogs, but he mostly farmed out the work on those, so that's different than keeping up with 10 names and 40 accounts.

9. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I think I have six accounts and six niche websites (in the making). However this is my biggest account - my second biggest only has forty hubs on it.

1. camlo profile image84

... and, do you ever get confused?

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not really. In fact I think it makes it easier - each one is for a specific topic or niche.

1. camlo profile image84

Which makes it easier to notice how Hubs are doing on what can be a huge list on the 'My Account' page.

10. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

I have other gaming names but only one pen name.  I rather like it.  I have never written anything that I am aware of aside from emails under my real name.

11. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

I have 3 accounts here and about 10 others across the web. Most of them are pen names, but some are my real name or, like this account, my initials.

12. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm guessing a whole lot more people are multi-multi-named than would be willing to make public.  No point pretending to be someone/something else if you're going to tell everyone you're just pretending.  hmm  The sharpest fakes know how (mostly) to remain effective fakes.  I wouldn't be "above" using other names, but the fake persona thing (especially when carried too far)can backfire on people.

As for me:  Hobby/spare-time writing:  one name or one version of it or in one case a derivative (sort of). Real" writing:  my complete, real, name (but my "real" writing isn't on the Internet, for the most part, anyway).  Oh - and one other HubPages name with one Hub on it that involved a medical condition of a relative, and required not writing about someone else's personal business on the Internet (in my opinion).  That name may be more generic than the specific, "Lisa" name; but the information about what I am is true, just as it's true on my "main" account.

13. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

WOW! that is just to much to keep track of!

14. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I can understand why someone might want a secondary account.  There is at least one hubber I know that use to come here in the forums and brag about how successful she was and she found her hubs being copied at an alarming rate. 

Personally, I see no benefit to creating multiple identities even if you are working multiple niches.  I write anything and everything under the same pen name. My real name is in my profile.  This has helped me get many freelance writing jobs since it demonstrates a broad range of my writing samples.

1. camlo profile image84

Now that is a very good point. Never thought of it.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's one of the reasons I just kind of automatically went with one identity/name.  Even if you don't broadcast something like a pen name, there's always the chance someone you deal with on a professional basis (or someone who knows them and knows you - that type of thing) may discover something you've written under a pen name.  So they discover range - not such a bad thing to have discovered about you.

15. profile image57
    ShantiRposted 13 years ago

Until the internet really took off, I only ever had one name.

These days I have so many cyber-personalities that I have a whole page in my Safari Address Book to remember them all, with the passwords etc.. In fact, a friend of mine skyped my the other day (yet another cyber-name!) and said, "Can I ask you a really personal question?"
    "Sure" I answered.
    "What the f*** is your REAL name?"

I burst out laughing. I didn't realise that even my real life friends were getting confused.

On Hubs I only have one name so far.

But if Ann Rule and Stephen King can write under multiple pseudonyms, I don't see why we can't.
    As the French say, "Chin gong kua hao." Which means "Each to their own taste."

1. profile image57
      sira2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you guys (who use pen names) had any problems getting your money from the bank? This is what concerns me that the client will send the money to the bank under my fake name then the bank refuses to honor it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)