Overwhelmed

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (48 posts)
  1. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Honestly are you a bit overwhelmed with life in general to have the time for endless talk about politics and or religion? 

I’m busy tending my own garden!

What say you?

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
      I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think from time to time we all need to tend our own garden and forget about the world for awhile.

2. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

generally I stay away from politics and religion...

3. Mrs. J. B. profile image61
      Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Katiem2 its me LeeLa I do not discuss religion or politics with anyone. All it does is turn into some heated debate that is draining, gives you a headache and makes you pissy for the rest of the day. Life is too short to worry about what the person next to you thinks about those 2 topics

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

are you referring to the forums? I can't see those forums because I have them blocked with edweirdo's filter!

life can be complicated enough, I agree, I don't want to see or hear adults whining and complaining about every single issue known to man if I have a choice. I tend towards 'glass half-full', upbeat, solution oriented conversations.

1. blogdigz profile image58
      blogdigzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's the filter and where's it..?

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't need "edweirdo's" filter.
      I read everything and create a list of "weirdos" not to respond to.
      When I view their names attached to a response, I just move on to the next one. No big deal.
      Qwark

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...ha ha ha....now....i'm not on your list am i?  mornin' qwark!

1. qwark profile image60

Mornin' Someway   smile:
          Did that answer your question?   smile:
          Slurrrrpp...ahhh...damn! ...cuppa strong hot coffee hits the spot on a freezin' cold mornin'!
          Thermom' says 31 degrees out there!
          I hope yer healthy, happy and warm   smile:
          Qwark

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
            SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...slurrpin' on mine too!....zero (c)...that's not bad...  big_smile

1. qwark profile image60

smile:

katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That works too!  I just so get tired of all those plastic copied topics...

1. qwark profile image60

Katiem:
                  Aw, it doesn't bother me.
                  I see a name and it's immediately obvious that I will respond or not.
                  Religion is so pervasively dominant on every continent that it's gonna have a illogical and inane influence in the lives of most people you are going to meet in life.
                  I consider the source and know that in this life ya gotta bend a little and accept the "relatively good with the relatively bad."
                  Unless ya wanna be a "recluse" and just disappear for the remainder of life.
                  I enjoy everyday "prattle" with others.
                  Most think of me as a "nutcase," but then, gosh, that goes both ways...lolol  smile:
                  Qwark

Your so right, I def don't want to be a recluse...  smile Thanks for the positive feedback!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

until you try it, you don't see the benefits of not having to see the subject headings of all of those threads. it's time saving and much more pleasant for those of us who are using it.

it's simply a brilliant addition to HP IMO.

1. Julie2 profile image60
          Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't download it! sad

HMMMMM worth another go, later maybe.

Will do...

2. Edweirdo profile image85
            Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me know if you're still having problems downloading the forum filter add-on and I'll see if I can get it sorted for you...

I did not have chrome so I downloaded it and then tried to download the filter but couldn't.

1. Edweirdo profile image85
                Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Julie, if you're still having problems, go to the forum filter's homepage and click the "contact" link at the bottom of the page and we can work out the issue via email.

There is a link to the forum filter homepage on the Chrome and Firefox download pages, which you can find on my profile (I'd post it here but it will probably get snipped as self-promotional!)

I will contact you personally, thanks.

2. Ellarose92 profile image61
          Ellarose92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ahh i must try tha t filter!

Have you tried the hub defender yet? If not, you really need to.

3. katiem2 profile image60

Exactly, that's what I mean, !  Gotta have it!  The flter that is.  Thanks for the heads up  and thanks to you edweirdo for yet another great feature!

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Yep... That's 3 of Us and I agree with Rebekah smile

Though I believe it tends to be the same entities merely recycling themselves!

WE... People from outside of the States, really do struggle with what looks like an over zealous political and religious stance by many in the States... You NEED To see it from our perspective, to appreciate what I mean by this statement.. but it isn't a positive, due to the aggressive separation between the factions.

Edit: I Don't personally, having had US affiliations for several years.... You guys probably find Kiwis Strange smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, perhaps, but still quite tasty.
      wink

I don't have a lot of nonesense time, but I admit some of the nonsense I respond to in the forums is entertaining. Although sometimes I find I can't resist responding on some things I'm passionate about. Makes for a good diversion at times for a few minutes here and there.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow... Daniel.. Thank You, I'm Flattered.. I didn't realize you were Gay yikes
        I appreciate your 'Bi smile Line' but mate... I'm sorry I'm a Straight boy! smile

2. katiem2 profile image60

lol now now...

4. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I keep meaning not to be sucked into them - I think that I need Edweirdo's filter!

5. rebekahELLE profile image86

it is an add-on for Firefox and Chrome browsers. you can choose the forums you want to show, it's very nice. here is the hub,
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Edweirdos-Forum … fox-Chrome

PD, I know what you refer to when speaking of how it appears in other countries, but this is a big country with a lot of people, and those with the extreme views are not in the majority.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I Know That.... I wasn't Being Critical... It is because those issues are pushed to the fore and that helps create the perception overseas!

I mean, people talk and talk and talk about for the sake of making noise and I feel it's a waste of time and energy.  Thanks for your input from another countries prospective.

2. katiem2 profile image60

I need this filter as well.  Thanks for the heads up rebekanELLE smile

6. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I'm not using the filter. I belong to dozens of forums so I know how to just ignore the teaming masses of crap!

However it does get depressing to see so many subjects with so many people fighting back and forth about things that they have no control over anyways.

Really makes you realize how little humans in general know and how silly most are. Kids and adults don't have that much difference. smile

You said it, to see so many going back and forth about somthing they have no control (or power) over!  That's it, life is short why waste your time...

2. qwark profile image60

Bill:
      "Man" is an "infant" species. He is still in the crib gazing about trying to make "meaning" out of surroundings he knows nothing about.
      We really can't expect to much from him yet!  sad:
      Qwark

Oh my dear Bill wink

7. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I also love Edweirdo's filter!  One thing I especially appreciate is that if I'm in the mood for bizarre entertainment, I can uncheck the filter box and see the religious and political threads again.  I haven't done that yet, but it's nice to have the choice.

Good to hear from you lorlie, I'm becoming a filter queen, I don't even wanta see another political or religious thread again.....

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Katie,

I am glad you mention this particular subject. Where has the fun gone from the forums? Not just here but forums in general.

I remember the heady days of discussions about the benefits or negative effects of potential negatively charged dark matter spinning anti-clockwise around a super string in a vacuum at zero Kelvin around 2 million parsecs from Earth around the center of the Milky...... hey........

Why are you all falling asleep?????

lol thanks dear friend for the bed time story!  ZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzzZZZZzz big_smile

9. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 13 years ago

Katie,
    I know exactly what you mean!  Not only is back-and-forth never-ending, it's often offensive.  I don't understand why so many people seem to debate as some kind of personal mission.  Maybe they get too wrapped up in being online.  That's how it comes across, anyway.

I think I need to get the filter soon.

10. Docmo profile image92
    Docmoposted 13 years ago

I agree. Humanity has come so far and has so much but yet moans so much!

Cheer up and live a little, I say. Actually, not a little, live a lot!

11. nell79 profile image78
    nell79posted 13 years ago

I haven't gotten the filter yet, but am very nearly ready to. I try to just avoid those forums and so I didn't think I needed a filter to do that. But then the first ten topics when I came in today were politics and religion. I had to go to the second page of discusions to find anything I wanted to respond to.

I have my beliefs just like anyone else, but I don't feel the need to to cram them down anyone's throat. I hate it when that's done to me, so it makes sense that others wouldn't like it either.

Life is too short to spend it arguing with people you'll never convince one way or the other anyway.

12. rebekahELLE profile image86

right now I'm only seeing 12 open threads on my page 1. the filter is so nice.

It's a great filter, thanks for the tip.  I'm so glad I started this thread otherwise I would not have gotten your helpful tip!

Its worth is priceless! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)