jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)

Google gives some reasons why they rated some sites low.

1. Barbara Kay profile image88
    Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago

I found a good article in some of the reasons some sites have gone down in the search.

1. Too many ads on the pages. Google has been pushing me to put more adsense ads on my website. Strange.

We do have a lot of ads on our hubs.

2. Authority on certain subjects such as medicine. Then why is eHow rated high?

3. Poor Content - Hubpages does have some good content, just some of it isn't great.

Read the rest here. http://www.webpronews.com/google-panda- … le-2011-03

2. Barbara Kay profile image88
    Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago

I forgot one. Don't use automated content. Hubpages news capsule may just be considered one of these.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this absolutely excellent link. smile

Glad I've been killing most of my news capsules.

Though in some cases, I just severely cut back on their content. The article seems to indicate that will work as well, depending on the ratio of automated to original.

3. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I wonder why there were/are so many searches on 'get your ex back' hmm  I remember flagging some of that stuff here. It went to sites to sell a book.  Are that many people really searching that particular phrase??

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Probably a typo by the searcher.  Should be 'get back at your ex'. That one I could believe!

2. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 6 years agoin reply to this
  4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

so instead of having news capsules,can we link the article that we may have used as a reference?

Barbara Kayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why that wouldn't be alright.

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I am in the process of removing EVERY single RSS feed from my hubs, it will take me a while, but it is happening.

1. Trish_M profile image86
      Trish_Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I only recently went through mine adding them! How confusing!
      Do you mean RSS links to your own hubs, or to Amazon?

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am deleting all news feeds and latest hub RSS feeds, because my personal belief is that they have the same effect with the new Google algo.

I have worked through maybe 100 and have started seeing small increases in traffic already, early days.

With Amazon, I am removing that off of non-sales pages, reducing where required on sales pages.

I also have some duplicate content, a technique that I used to act as a decoy to internal idea thieves, I perhaps have 20 of those to delete (duplicated from myself of course, not stolen).

So, a lot of work here smile

1. bgamall profile image83
          bgamallposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that some news feeds, if you cut them down, hurt that much. If anything they still freshen the content on the hub. I suppose it boils down to what subject the news feed is about.

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I only just added RSS feed recently too.  So they are best gone?

1. rmcrayne profile image94
          rmcrayneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Saturday at Houston HubCamp, Robin and Jason of HubPages staff said the jury was still out on RSS feeds.  Has anyone from staff since released a recommendation on RSS feeds?  I'm waiting until I hear more from HP/staff.

1. profile image0
            ryankettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A news feed IS an RSS feed, and the problem with them is that they are purely duplicate content.

One is external duplicate content, one is generally internal duplicate content.

It has long been known that internal duplicate content can cause an issue on websites, just as external duplicate content can.

I would place my bets on the Hubpages team deciding as such when the jury returns from deliberation.

If you are using an external RSS feed then that is considered precisely the same as a news capsule, as a news capsules IS an external RSS.

Did you know that Business Insider allows all articles to be imbedded in your website? It didn't hurt BI at all.

So I think a lot of these are just google excuses. Google likes some sites more than others.

2. rmcrayne profile image94

Thanks Ryan.  My RSS feeds are all internal.  Seems that this and a few other issues are causing some problems with some of my HubMob roundup hubs (the ones with less original text when I was having a busy or lazy week).

6. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I was already in the process of limiting my exposure to News feeds and RSS feeds. wink Not to mention, revamping layout/format. smile

7. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

I think I used news feed on a couple of hubs when they introduced it. But now I don't remember which ones they are. Oh well, a bit of searching and refreshing while I'm at it.

8. lakeerieartists profile image73
    lakeerieartistsposted 6 years ago

This is not a new article, it is from March 4.

Sorry. I just got it in my email box.

9. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Awesomeness is a lot of work. I am becoming just plain tired and tuckered out. smile

10. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 6 years ago

I have a dumb question: if RSS feeds are being penalized, then will hubs that are part of the Hub Mob challenges have less favor with the search engines? They contain an RSS feed of other hubs created for the challenge...

They don't like duplicate content and the news feeds are just that.

Barbara, Business Insider allows all their articles to be embedded into other people's websites. And charts from Clusterstock.

That has not affected BI at all. In fact they are getting bigger and bigger: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/businessinsider.com#

2. CASE1WORKER profile image78
        CASE1WORKERposted 6 years agoin reply to this

i have been doing a lot of hopping and flagging- last night some hubs were over 6 months old- i believe that something mega has got to happen to clear out the dross

2. rmcrayne profile image94

This question came up at HubCamp in Houston.  Robin and Jason told me to pitch this question to Maddie.  I'll do that now.

working