jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (32 posts)

Hubpages is embarrassing themselves posting ads on job sites

1. TomC35 profile image60
    TomC35posted 6 years ago

Examiner is doing the same.

There are many people out there seriously searching for jobs, real jobs.  They do not have time to sift through tons of fake ads, and though HP and Examiner are real websites, they do not offer real jobs.  You might make some money off of them, but even they will try to temper your expectations when you join about how much you might make.  So why are they on Monster as if these are jobs available?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
      Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Do they claim to give you a job in those ads? Would be clearer if you can post a snapshot here.
      I see Forex ads on SEO pages and an ads doesn't need to be on exactly same keywords.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image89
      Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are people who work 9-5 for hubpages doing stuff like coding. Are the ads for web designers, software engineers, accountants, admin assistants, and such?

3. Mikeydoes profile image77
      Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you don't think this will be one of the most popular jobs in the next couple decades you are crazy...

Whether or not Hubpages is posting doesn't really matter, I doubt they are.. They are most likely referrals from people who realize there is free money in getting people to sign up.

We haven't seen the ads, so we can't know for sure though. How advertising is embarrassing is beyond me.. Better tell McDonalds to stop.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image80
        EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I sincerely hope not - I for one don't want all that competition!

Besides, there has to come a point where the market gets saturated with Internet content (I think that point isn't too far off personally, but you might disagree).

1. Mikeydoes profile image77
          Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I certainly picture and see content in a different way than you. When talking about search engines, there is no question there is only so much room, in that aspect you are more than right. But there are always new topics, and building a reputation with yourself or character you make can always put you ahead moneywise. Not to mention we have no idea what the future holds, but I am sure the internet is 100% the reason for whatever the change may be,

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

According to WSJ article, HP is indeed hiring!

As to writer ads (if any), they are probably posted by those looking for referrals; and not by HP themselves.

3. Sunnyglitter profile image86
    Sunnyglitterposted 6 years ago

It's not embarrassing.  There's nothing embarrassing about self-employment.  I don't think they are getting hopes up.  I mean, if you currently make $0 an hour, and end up making $50 a month from HubPages, you're still coming out ahead.

4. nell79 profile image85
    nell79posted 6 years ago

Like most of the posters here, I see nothing embarrassing about it either--if it even is HP and not someone looking to get referrals. It seems pretty smart to me, actually. And there's nothing wrong with doing this as a part of ones income while looking for something else to do.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If it were a Hubpages member there would be a referral tracker in that sign up link (which there is not).

Personally I find the writing mistakes embarrassing, not the principle of promoting the site and attracting writers.

5. miss_jkim profile image80
    miss_jkimposted 6 years ago

Well, here is the link to the "Actual Ad" on Monster.com, I've also seen it on linkedin.com's job site ads and to be honest, I was a little puzzled about it.

http://jobview.monster.com/Freelance-On … 11575.aspx

1. EmpressFelicity profile image80
      EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hmm... no mention of the fact that it takes most of us a year or so to reach the $100 Adsense payout!

6. Cheeky Girl profile image81
    Cheeky Girlposted 6 years ago

Wow, I saw this ad, it's um...amazing! smile

7. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago

It is pretty awful - It's a shame that they didn't get one of the successful featured authors to write it. They might have done a better job hmm

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They could have at least proofread it.

Not sure when it was posted, but I think we need to get the house in order before encouraging an influx of overly-optimistic people seeking $1000 a month for part-time work.

"We guide you the process" hmmm...

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
        Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We had that problem on oDesk a couple of years ago, when they decided to run a similar campaign. It backfired, and the job-boards became flooded with desperate people, often with no discernible talent, offering to work for virtually nothing.

It never really recovered - many of the pro-writers left for pastures new. smile

8. Eaglekiwi profile image72
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

Lol@ Surfi

Actually its not that odd,Ive seen several writing jobs advertsised via Craigslist also, indeed.com. Im sure they are all over.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

"high credibility with Google".

What the heck I might sign up.  1,000 dollars a month would be nice.

10. paradigmsearch profile image85

"We guide you the process of realizing" brings up this ad plastered all over the place. Not a pretty picture.

Edit: It sure as hell isn't HP.

11. NateSean profile image78
    NateSeanposted 6 years ago

I'm fairly certain the ads are geared towards people who can help with the technical aspects of Hub.

All that fancy lettering at the top of the page doesn't come from us.

12. paradigmsearch profile image85

I’m putting the source odds as follows.smile

India: 95%

China: 4.9 %

Other: .1%

13. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

I came to Hub Pages through an ad on Craigslist.
    There are a gazillion sites out there trying to recruit writers. Their offers are not "jobs" either.

1. NateSean profile image78
      NateSeanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I mean, I'll admit I'm guilty of posting my hubs on craigslist. But it's more to get my writing out there and less to recruit jobs.

And, on my Job Corps hubs I encourage people to sign up for an account and  *ahem* favorite me before asking questions in the comments section. Sneaky, I know, but it gets the job done.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
        Mighty Momposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Posting your HUBS on Craigslist?
        How does that work?
        I'm clueless, I think!

1. brandonhart100 profile image83
          brandonhart100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe he's talking about
          "I'm willing to pay $10 for x words"

Here's an example of what I want you to do

(HP link)

I've never done it myself..

1. NateSean profile image78
            NateSeanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, no, not quite that. But I just post the link to my hubs in certain sections where I think people will be interested in what I've written.

I'm not nearly confident enough to charge anyone for my writing. Unless, you know, they're into some fetish style stuff in which case...

2. profile image64
          logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is soooooooooooo tempting! smile

14. Eaglekiwi profile image72
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

I dont know whose getting revenue for my referal trackers,hmm..dodgy!

15. TomC35 profile image60
    TomC35posted 6 years ago

Okay Lemmings, here is the link to one of the ads.  Why would someone pay Monster (posting ads on Monster is not free) money to post a bunch of job ads? These are not ads for programmers, etc, see for yourself.
    http://jobview.monster.com/Freelance-On … x?fwr=true

I have nothing against Hubpages overall.  I enjoy it, but as someone who is looking to upgrade his career and has to search through job ads, I hate seeing junk ads, no matter who they are from.  I also hold sites like CareerBuilder and Monster responsible for not caring and taking money from anyone.  This is why they are not the first sites I go to for jobs.  Unfortunately there are many jobs only posted through them.

16. LennyP profile image87
    LennyPposted 6 years ago

HubPages has already taken a pretty big PR hit recently being called a spam site after the recent Google update. For many people I've spoken to in everyday life this is the only impression they have of HubPages. To go spamming job boards is only going to worsen that image and I can't see it being in any way good for this site. Personally, I am very disappointed to see this of the site I have personally gone through great lengths to defend.

17. skyfire profile image70
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Spam site ? LOL. That's far fetched. If HP is a spam site then so is demand media (to be specific ehow), just because few grammar nazis and wanna-be published authors write on ehow and dominate others on forums because of their writing skills doesn't mean they're on spam free platform. Clear writing or not almost every good site with high PR got devalued in this update and will continue to be in future because of social votes.

As for ehow's BS we just need to dig deeper to find something to laugh, e.g. "A Nokia Jar is a game that is a .jar file." <<<<< big_smile  from -
    I wonder how come search engine users tolerate such content ?

We can dig a lot of stuff like this on any random competitive network but that's what we all are doing as well for the sake of keywords.

Almost every revenue sharing site qualifies for spam on web because - "buy XYZ", "XYZ sales", etc type of titles and articles.

There is one lesson to learn from this panda update - "Sales hubs/pages should be on niche site and informative articles should be on revenue sharing site to perform well from now on".

18. Rosie2010 profile image75
    Rosie2010posted 6 years ago

Speaking of advertising in Free Classified Sites, please read this hub.  This hub just reached 10,000 views and it's just a list of Free Classified Sites.  Please take a look at the comments section, there are a few advertisements.  This is obviously a spam and it's been on HP for 11 months.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Free-Classified-Sites-list

working