Adopt a Spammer

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (82 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

As mentioned in this thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/75200

There are many spammers who still have thousands of hubs up, even if they are on probation. Obviously flagging an account doesn't work so for those of us who are still trying to help Hubpages in any way - adopt a SPAM account and flag a few hubs every time you remember. Flagging 20 hubs a day only takes 5 minutes and you can do your part to get rid of this spam.

No flames and no retorts please. If you want to help, here's a way you can do it.

Here is a list to start:

http://hubpages.com/profile/trading
    http://hubpages.com/profile/InfoFinder
    http://hubpages.com/profile/jojo1000
    http://hubpages.com/profile/www.ibuzzup.com
    http://hubpages.com/profile/tudou
    http://hubpages.com/profile/gooadam
    http://hubpages.com/profile/notouch002

If you know of any more please feel free to add them. Remember that it can take a few days for flagged spam to be moderated with the current backlog.

Let's keep flagging till the spam is gone!

P.S. I'm personally adopting ibuzzup for regular flagging.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess there's no point in trying to point out the obvious then. big_smile

2. Ms Dee profile image87
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea! Will let you know when I adopt one.

1. Ms Dee profile image87

Found one to adopt already, one you suggested: tudou

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I worry that this can become a witch hunt.

WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It won't as long as people just spend their time flagging. Flagging won't get a hub unpublished, only a moderator can do that.

4. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looks like the flagging is working. Over 100 have been taken down from one of them. 2,500 more to go.

5. Ms Dee profile image87

Wrylit, it worked! Been flagging different hubs of one you suggested--a handful each day for three days--and all those hubs, almost 100, are now pulled off.

2. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Great idea!

I just got started on the list, and will adopt someone soon.

1. cheaptrick profile image73
      cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OH!Pick me!Pick me Ernest!I Love spam...a water cracker with a little spam and tomato is my fave!I heard you Aussies make the Best Spam and eggs too...so Pick me! OK?

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK, but you have to admit that you wrote a hub about paranormal activity in your bedroom! smile

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
          DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I want to know...

3. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Oh, I always wanted to adopt! Great idea!

4. Pamela99 profile image90
    Pamela99posted 12 years ago

This is a great idea and I will do my part.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Cool.  I've no idea how you find these people.  Every time I see a bs account they have three hubs, no avatar, and zero followers.  Good job.

6. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

That Trading guy looks like the king of all spammers, the grand daddy lol

7. ajcor profile image60
    ajcorposted 12 years ago

Just adopted one for personal viewing and flagging...if required!
    thanks for the list WryLilt

8. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I really would rather adopt a cute little kid than a creepy little spammer...but OK...

9. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

http://hubpages.com/profile/Writers

(oops...adding the single word "review" fixed all of the concerns)

I still believe that these are just as bad as they were before the magical word was added.

But, they do generate a lot of views, and with the new ad program, we have winner...

Did you happen to read the comments on the Beyonce.com one?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64

I did ... hopefully HP reconsiders this further "blurring of the line."

Poor misguided souls think they're writing directly to Beyonce!

10. Mutiny92 profile image64

How about the word "Information" instead of "review"?

http://hubpages.com/hub/wwwWellsFargoco … king-Login

any word if "information" is as good a get-out-of-jail-free card as "review"?

11. WryLilt profile image88

Another good one - this person has VERY short hubs.

http://hubpages.com/profile/bestfreeware

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have adopted this one.
      another trick I have developed, is that  when you meet someone on the forums who is very active- but no hubs- i click to follow them- so when they do write i am ready-- just in case they are spammers rather than simply people learning the ropes

2. Mutiny92 profile image64

wow---at first I thought you were off on this one because I found some hubs that were longer...Using my first-rate-Sherlock-Holmes skills, I entered a snippet of a longer hub into the google and found that the longer ones are copied!

https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl= … l=&oq=

Good grief!

12. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years ago

WL, I'm glad that you are trying to help hubpages here and in turn helping us hubbers, but I wonder when will HP change some of its policies following one of ryankett's or someone else's suggestions.

They can keep newly submitted articles pending till they are approved by a moderator like EZA or at least first ten articles should be manually moderated like the infobarrel.

13. sofs profile image78
    sofsposted 12 years ago

It would be really worth while to have the first ten articles approved by admin than go through all this Info Barrel seems to do it effectively enough and so does Triond... so why not Hp .. the problem of spamming may be reduced to a very large extent.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe HP just want to make money without investing much into it.

1. sofs profile image78
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure..they have off late, as they say recruited many moderators, so they might as well get them to work on it.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
          Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish they get the mods to work in the right direction. I often see complains against moderation in these forums.

1. sofs profile image78
            sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Complaints will always be there.. training the moderators well make be the trick.. but complaints can never be eliminated.
            I B has been very fair with moderation and yet there are tons of complaints.

i like that idea.  Between that and the SMS verification, the workload may actually drop in the long run as these spammers move on to other venues.  Maybe that is wishful thinking.

14. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Great idea!  I try to hub hop at least once a day.  I've been finding spammers who have been here for years!  What da?  Unbelievable!  Report the profile as well.  I'm sure they will come back with a new profile, but at least they would know we are onto them.

15. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I had flag this profile and ALL of his hub twice already, but it's still up and producing more spam hubs.  Another one today...

http://hubpages.com/profile/BBQBarbecues

Why is it spam?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Possibly because every single hub links to the same site?

Possibly.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
            Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

..but since all the Hubs (from what I've seen) are about the same subject, and since the link is about that same thing, too..    Isn't that considered a "relevant" link?  Or, is there a difference if the "relevant link" is a sales thing? 

What if, for example, I wrote 40 or 50 Hubs about, maybe, premature babies; and then put the same link to one of my own sites/blogs about that subject (with no products being sold on the site).  Would that make a difference?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that admin would classify it as spam. Not that I agree but people have had hubs unpublished for that reason.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

I guess it's down to HP's decision.  I have plenty of hubs on similar topics that all link out to my own site(s).  I personally consider them relevant, and to be honest, they've always been my primary reason for writing here.  I get the benefits of the link, and through traffic.  And HP earn far more from them than it would ever cost me to host them privately.

But apparently there is a clause in the TOS, above and beyond the two links per hub rule, that says linking to the same site from too many hubs can get them unpublished.  How many is too many?  Who knows.  Some have suggested that linking out to your own site from one in five hubs is a safe number.  But I suspect that there is no hard and fast rule.  Some will get away with more than others.

2. Lisa HW profile image63

Here's where things can get iffy when "everyone and his brother" is judging what's spam and what isn't (and I'm not saying, with this example, that I know either).   I wouldn't see that as spam, because, provided the Hubs are original and not copied, they're decent as far as I can see.  I see that the individual has "an agenda" (a sales site) -but - I don't know - a lot of us have a link to some other endeavor away from HP.

I didn't read those Hubs - only skimmed - but they look fine to me.    I wouldn't mind seeing the thoughts of someone who knows better than I do about this particular kind of thing...    hmm

To be honest, I flag stuff if I see it; and I hop when I can make myself do that.  I'm not a big fan of the vigilante approach to hunting down spam, though.   I know the moderators are busy, and I kind of feel bad for them these days; but they know what's spam and what isn't (and, besides, they get paid for dealing with it).

For ages now, I've been trying to figure out what approach I want to take as far as cleaning up my own stuff  on here that could stand some improvement goes.

Again, I don't pretend to know anything about this (at all); but isn't it true (especially, now, since Panda) that if someone has an author score of - what - 8; and if his Hubs have scores in the 20's, Google isn't going to pick up that stuff anyway?  And since Hubbers won't be voting that stuff up, won't it sink into oblivion anyway?

Ultimately, it shouldn't matter if somebody flags undeserving hubs/accounts as spam, as HP mods get the final say.  But like you, I had a quick skim through several of them, and as far as I could see, they weren't duplicate, and if you're interested in barbecues, they seemed like they'd be relatively informative.

I generally don't flag either, as it doesn't feel like my place to do so.  Even more so now, considering the outcome of the other thread mentioned at the beginning of this one.

I'm sure Rosie meant no harm though, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  And vice versa.  I just wondered if I was missing something. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image63

I know nobody means harm when they're putting in the effort to try to clean up the site.  It's admirable.  I'm not too proud to admit that there's only so much I'm willing to involve myself in flagging and looking for.   hmm   smile  One of the reasons I'm so reluctant to dive in and start flagging stuff more, though, is that the only spam I'm all that certain about is the really extreme stuff.  With a lot of the borderline stuff, I find myself thinking, "Should I?  Shouldn't I?"  In fact, that's kind of what makes hopping a "mental strain" for me.  People say, "When in doubt flag, and let the moderators figure it out."   I don't know...  When I'm in doubt I don't flag and, instead, let some other hopper figure out whether to flag.   hmm  I don't want to be the one who's sending tons of stuff to be reviewed to moderators.  The way I figure it, if it doesn't look all that horrible to me, chances are it won't look all that horrible to readers who run into it.  What goes on with algorithms "between" HP and Google is between those two companies, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing more actual discussion about some of the not-so-horrible Hubs, if for no reason other than that it would make hopping less of a challenge for me.  I don't know...    I'm just not comfortable with the "when in doubt, flag it" thinking, personally.    hmm

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
                Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think there is nothing wrong with that. I tend to skip articles that are very technical or are on subjects that don't interest me at all. I only flag, for review, those that I am pretty sure are violating rules or are "low quality" according to the terms. Sometmes it helps to think " Would I publish this in my magazine?" (If I had one. smile )

2. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Actually that 'ibuzzup' guy looks worse lol

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
      LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Hey I just went to one of them "goad..m" and this appears to be a legitimate hubber. Use caution please.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

WryLit gets the award for best forum thread title.
      I never realized how strongly my spammerlogical clock was ticking till I read your brilliant suggestion!
      Who knew you could adopt spammers?
      FAB IDEA!!!

5. Mutiny92 profile image64

How is it that these are not being flagged for duplicate content?

http://hubpages.com/search/include:hubs … protection

There are quite a few pages of virtually identical hubs with only a few items changed on each.

Wow! Good question. That is amazing. And the author has over 2200 hubs.

300 of these have been removed.  The moderators are busy!

6. Mutiny92 profile image64

If it helps, I have changed tactics on these.  As the smarter spammers are using the get-out-of-jail-free card of adding the word "review" or "information" to their titles, I started flagging these as "Low Quality" instead of "deceptive".

This seems to be working as there aren't many people who think that these are GOOD quality.

7. BobbiRant profile image60
      BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

Oh Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!  There always have been many, many hubs, especially the old 'how to make money' ones that say the same darn thing over and over and over, just change a few words here and there and you have a 'new' hub?  I've Always noticed them from over a year ago.

8. Mutiny92 profile image64

I owe HP a BIG apology!

ibuzzup has been banned from HP.

9. Mutiny92 profile image64

and all of tudou's hubs are unpublished

We need a new list of candidates. smile

10. Jule Romans profile image96
      Jule Romansposted 12 years ago

I'm ready to help with this! I have more time now. All I need is a litte push in the right direction to find a spammer....

11. WryLilt profile image88

Woohoo! Ibuzzup has been officially banned from Hubpages. One down one thousand to go....

Edit: Sorry just saw your post Mutiny. Haven't checked on this thread in awhile. big_smile

lol - it sounds much better coming from you!  smile

12. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

This is great news!  I am regaining a little more respect for HP now.  I think I'll dig in too!  Good work guys! smile

13. Mutiny92 profile image64

gooadam is also down to 0 published hubs

Trading is under 2,000 but I'm still working on him.

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too. You had a very good idea with this adopt a spammer idea WryLilt. smile

he has all of them unpublished.  Virtually all of them have left the building.

14. Mutiny92 profile image64

Another one for the list:

http://hubpages.com/profile/Best+Websites

(go figure...another 1M+ view winner!)

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Every hub is a www dot com title - just a little deceptive here.  Flagged a dozen or so.

15. Mutiny92 profile image64
    16. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I'm following a different strategy, but hope it will also contribute. I target spammers with a sufficiently small number of hubs so that I can flag all of them in one session. My rationale is that this will serve as sufficient deterrent to the spammers that they will never come back.

I find them by going into the hubber pages and putting in a random large page number, then checking through the accounts that come up.

17. Mutiny92 profile image64

http://hubpages.com/profile/youku

I am definitely putting too much work into my hubs...This one has a few hubs with 16 total words (although there are pictures of hot women).

And, of course, 1M+ views...

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How very odd - that profile shows no hubs at all!   I would say you were effective.

HP has dealt with almost all of the ones in this thread.

I'm working on JoJo next.

I flagged his profile a while ago. Hopefully he is addressed shortly.

Now on to the copied webspam email and copied catfood/dogfood hubs. Those are classic compositely copied hubs. She was smart and did not copy the whole hub. Just paragraphs copied in full.

I don't think flagging profiles works from what I've seen. LoL there are some spammers living on the edge!

It is sad.  I miss the pre-Panda HubPages a lot...

18. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 12 years ago

Are these spammers just posting more hubs? Some of the ones in your initial list still have hubs up... I don't know if they are new or just ones that have not yet been removed.

19. melbel profile image95
      melbelposted 12 years ago
    20. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

This is easier than adopting a puppy-- at least you don't have to clean the carpet.

21. Kiwiwi profile image41
      Kiwiwiposted 12 years ago

How do you guys determine a spam hub or hubber?
      What is the person is trying hard or not a spammer, but is flagged.Wouldn't that be just wrong?

Some are obvious spammers, that can not be argued but some may not be.So choose the spammer carefully smile

Flagging an item is ONLY a suggestion to the staff that they take a look at it to see if it meets their standard. 
        THEY  make the decision, not the hubbers who flag, no matter how many flags are given.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)