jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

RSS Feeds/Seriously Dumb Question Category Could Be New

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
    Jean Bakulaposted 6 years ago

I think I learned how to put RSS feeds on my hubs today! I was only a person who went online for email, Word, and basic stuff until I came to HP. I feel really, really, stupid, but how can you see or tell without going into EDIT mode if you already put a feed on a particular hub? Not to worry, I made a list. Thanks so much. Jean

1. RedElf profile image84
      RedElfposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you successfully added an RSS Feed to your hub, it will show up in regular mode. If it doesn't show up, then there is a problem with the feed. Go into edit mode and see if there is an RSS capsule, and then click on it to see what the problem is.

I struggled with RSS feeds at first, too, so give me a shout if you need some help big_smile

Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I went back, and I see them in edit mode and they don't say anything bad, but I don't see anything to indicate it's there. I checked the box so they don't show up. I did get a notice something was wrong with one while I was first learning to do them, but tried again and it went away. Not sure what's wrong. What else could I check?

I guess the links should be displayed on the hub for other hubbers or visitors to see your hubs? I checked the box in the Rss link box right hand corner that said to not display them. But then I guess only spider bots know they are there? Changed so they can be seen, but still unsure. In hurry, must go out. Later.

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Say what? I'm curious,why did you do that? 

If you check the "do not display this capsule" box, then the capsule is only visible to you - no one else, including spider bots.

The only reason to use the "do not display" feature is if you want to remove the capsule from your Hub, but don't want to lose the content.

2. Marisa Wright profile image95

When you set up the feed, hit "Preview RSS".  If you've set it up correctly, you will see the RSS feed, exactly as it will look to your readers.

If you can't see the feed when you hit Preview, it's not set up correctly.

Marisa, I did check the "do not display the capsule" box, because I thought the list of links made the hub look sloppy. But I eroneously thought it would still make a difference. I have since changed it back so I can see them not only in edit mode, but in regular mode the way readers & I see them. It's confusing for me. Why is there a "do not display the capsule box" then. In my mind I thought it would be doing something, but not cluttering up my hubs. Thanks for your help. I went to a concert, and as a joke the group opened with "It's the End Of The World As We Know It." I'll get this figured out yet, I'm not mechanically inclined. Thanks for your patience.

1. Marisa Wright profile image95

I've never used it, but I can see why it's there. 

Say you discover that a section of your Hub is inaccurate. You need to research the correct information but can't get around to it yet.  So you hide that capsule, so you can come back and edit it later when you have the right information.

Or, you may want to make some notes for yourself on the Hub, to remind yourself of some reference sources, or ideas for related Hubs, or whatever.

That makes sense. I did what apparently  many newbies do in the beginning, and began writing in one text capsule. You can't go back and add info without redoing the whole hub in shorter bits. I want to go back and rewrite the first group I wrote, I know they can be better. Thank you so much for your input and help.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 6 years ago

Jean,

Make sure the RSS feeds you include in your own Hubs are topically-relevant (i.e. they only include links to your Hubs that are relevant to your Hub's topic). Here's how to do that:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubb … c-rss-feed

For example, on your latest Hub, I would make an tarot-specific RSS feed, so:
    http://hubpages.com/author/Jean+Bakula/ … ds/hot?rss

We created RSS feeds for people to use on other sites, but we don't have a problem with Hubbers' use of them on their own Hubs as long as they include links that are relevant to the Hub in which they're used.

3. Howard S. profile image85
    Howard S.posted 6 years ago

I have used the "do not display" checkbox for two purposes.

1) As a newbie, I listed things to be done to that hub. Even while yet unpublished, I can preview without it showing.

2) Since Panda, new restrictions tend to be initiated in two steps. First there is speculation that a feature might be pulling HP down. When they're sure, they regulate it. It is that interim period where I can use the checkbox to turn off the display of specific capsules. I did that with a few Amazon capsules before going back in to be more selective. I did that with News capsules. I've done that most recently with scads of RSS capsules.

working