OH my! Im almost a prodigy in less than 10 days!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61
    Entrepreneur2.0posted 12 years ago

OH my! Im almost a prodigy in less than 10 days! I mean i never ever saw it coming thats amazing! i just went up 11 hubscores in the space of 12 hours!

have you seen my hubs?

Are you a prodigy?

1. profile image0
      lavender3957posted 12 years agoin reply to this

welcome, I am new and still trying to figure all of this out. Good luck

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is a question, but it is also self promotion.
      This question was asked, to cover up your first question.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

roll

Oh please....prodigy, NOT!

However, welcome to Hubpages and the forums. lol

3. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

cheers, well i did say almost, what did you think of my hubs?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't bother to look, because self promotion isn't allowed in the forums, regardless of whether or not, you posted links to your hubs.

The forums are used for interaction, not promotion.

4. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

questions are interactions, and so i was asking an opinion

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I had a look at your profile and noticed about six spelling mistakes, typos or grammatical errors.  Didn't read any further.

On the plus side that means I didn't flag anything.

Welcome to HP!  Most people aren't so nitpicky.

Entrepreneur2.0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

which hub(s) did you see the mistakes?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's your profile entry...

Im from Northern Ireland and im british not irish, ignorance just annoys me. Im thought provoking, helpful and i have a keen eye for entrepanureal ideas all the time.

Hopefully i can share my thoughs and ideas with you and see if you like them or not. Just say it yeh or neh lol.

=====================================
        Here's a reworking...

I'm from Northern Ireland and I'm British not Irish, ignorance just annoys me. I'm thought provoking, helpful and I have a keen eye for entrepreneuriel ideas all the time.

Hopefully I can share my thoughts and ideas with you and see if you like them or not. Just say it yeh or neh lol.

====================================
        Mainly capitalisation of "i", British and Irish.  Plus entrepreneurial - which I can't spell either.  That's why we use spell checkers.

It may be OK for Facebook, whatever, and it may be OK for the internet - but here's one potential reader who didn't bother looking further.

1. northweststarr profile image60
          northweststarrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(Agrees with Mark) Hubbers are writers, and don't like other people cutting corners we strictly adhere to. and your hubs... (shudder)

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
            Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"shudder" says it all.

1. IzzyM profile image87
              IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This.

6. simeonvisser profile image67
    simeonvisserposted 12 years ago

Your personal HubScore goes up easily. Most people who write some hubs and don't make too obvious mistakes end up with 75+. But keep going, you're heading the right direction smile

7. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Here's a little more - I checked your Twitter Hub.  Now it may be that a lot of people don't care about spelling or punctuation - but some do.  They won't bother reading.  If you can afford to lose them, fine.  I doubt if anyone checks out of a Hub however if it does have correct spelling.

"were as here" - should be "whereas here"

You swap between twitter and Twitter.  It can't be both.  Choose one.  Choose Twitter.

"Well its simple" - should be "Well it's simple" or "Well it is simple"

I know you're thinking this is a bit picky.  Actually your hub reads OK, and is interesting.  If you type your words into a Word document first and look at the spell checking and grammatical suggestions - your writing would look more professional.

btw - I'm trying to be helpful.  Don't normally bother.

I really admire the effort you put into this, under your own duress, as you described. Entrepreneur2.0 got enormously good advice from you, and then other Hubbers stepped in to undermine your words. Not that you are possessive about your words, I know you are not, but all the good you did got subverted by another saying they like his style, attitude, and originality, bypassing the flaws that keep him from being an authoritative writer.

Well, maybe that's the game of Internet writing...to hell with quality...let's just have attitude.

I've scanned only one of Entrepreneur2.0's Hubs, and it didn't keep my interest for 10 seconds...Why? It's grammar is faulty, making me work too hard to get the point.

Good for you for stepping up there, Mark.

28 hours later, the profile still reads, "Im from Northern Ireland and im British not Irish, ignorance just annoys me."

Ignorance annoys me too.

@Cags, about the self-promotion... That's all this is. (Can't wait to be banned...it's never happened, but if this does it, I'll be in very good company.)

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Personally I'd much rather read the words of somebody who's an interesting writer, but who's grammar is lacking.  Than the words of somebody who is incredibly dull, but who manages to place every punctuation mark perfectly.

I guess we all 'shudder' at different things.  Some of us at poor grammar, and some of us at the overly-critical diatribes of self-righteous grammar Nazi types.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope I did my best to come across as helpful rather than a Nazi.  The guy did ask for attention.

I agree about the interesting bit, very important.  But in particular a profile that has so many basic mistakes is going to lose rather than attract interest.

If it was written in 'street' style - then that's another matter.

FWIW - I did find his stuff interesting enough to make a comment.  He appears to be actually writing - a rarity on here, and about different stuff.  I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

For the record though.  Never again.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57

You were helpful.  Others weren't.  I found all the 'shudders' unnecessary.

As with your post, it's possible to be critical in a constructive way, rather than just making others feel like idiots.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Actually one more thing to add.  It is a real pleasure to see someone new who actually writes their stuff, rather than copying or spinning other people's.

Good luck.

well i really take my time, there maybe mistakes because of scribe seo's work in copying

2. northweststarr profile image60

it is original...

9. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

also when i earn the money i will invest in grammerly

huh?

1. Paradise7 profile image70
        Paradise7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was thinking, a prodigy that can't punctuate...what the H is "grammerly"?  And I wouldn't wait to earn money to invest in grammar lessons, if I were you, Entrepreneur.  You'd be waiting a LONG time.

How mean is this?

It's not mean if it's true.  Then it's called constructive criticism. wink

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
            Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

it's very constructive then. smile

1. profile image0
              Travis_S_Musicposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very much agreed. Everyone makes mistakes, but when the mistakes are that obvious, they have to learn some how. Being nice and friendly doesn't always cut it. Of course, don't be down right rude. Just point out the horribly obvious mistakes. Eventually he'll get there. Maybe. big_smile

10. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

This sort of shameless self promotion should not be tolerated.

I wrote a hub about it if anyone's interested.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 12 years agoin reply to this

haha...yesssss (Emperor's voice from the one and only trilogy.)

3. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile yikes

11. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

its a piece of online software that can tell your mistakes upto 98% of the time and checks if you copied from a book or PR's.

Google it! students use it to. PS i think it only uses american english, so check it out

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

From what I've read here so far, it's quite apparent that you need it.  Capitalization and punctuation are things that some of us here are sticklers for.  It's part and parcel of the whole "writer" gig.  You may be a genius entrepeneur, and your content may be brilliant, but when you're writing, you need to pay attention to mechanics as well.  It shows disrespect to your readers when you're sloppy about such things. 

smile

12. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I think I got you beat... 10 days in and my score is higher (without the self promotion) and I am up to 20 cents. But who's counting?
    Please dont look at my hubs, else you might feel a little embarrassed when comparing yours to mine. What do you think? Am I right? smile

:0 much better for a newbie!!

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
        R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

Be following ya!

2. profile image0

Lol. I love all the self promotion going on here.

13. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

Didn't Prodigy go out of business? hmm

14. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

fair play to you

15. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

Frankly, I like his Style. smile
    And attitude too.
    Its original. smile

@SunSeven, to which person are you referring to?

16. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages and the forums!  You are way ahead of me.  When I joined HP seven months ago, I didn't even know about the forums.  There are quite a few hubbers here from both England and Ireland.  If you love to write, HP is a really good site.  But you must proofread your hubs, use the speller although it doesn't catch grammar mistakes, it helps with spelling mistakes.  Best wishes here in Hubpages.  You're doing good.. self promoting.  Now we know who you are and where you live.  Be afraid, be very very afraid. lol just kiddin' big_smile

17. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

lol thanks rosie

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

you're welcome Entre smile

18. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

well I have been doing other things. Like getting backlinks and I'm trying to get back into doing better English. So I do appreciate your criticism, if i had the money i would go and do classes on grammar and spelling as well as writing classes, i know i don't have the "pose" to generate interest, guess what its my style and i dont criticise yours. Although my grammar maybe be shoddy, i haven't had to really use it and that is why i am trying to get back into the fold with it.  P.s I know you don't like cripples with bad grammar but get used to it.

1. myi4u profile image60
      myi4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought you studied grammar when you were young? I don't mean to criticise but I don't expect someone, who has English as the main language, to have such poor grammar and spelling.

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bro, for only having five hubs, you're not doing too bad at all.  Your hubs are decently laid out, so it looks like you have a pretty good handle on the software..  Just learn all you can about capsule placement and SEO, and you'll be good to go..

I wouldn't worry so much about grammar and spelling - there are ways around that.  For me, I always write the article in Word first.  That tends to catch 99% of whatever grammar and spelling problems you'll have.  There's no reason to go out and spend a ton of money on classes - the more you write, the better you'll get.

Still, there are hundreds of books about writing, grammar, and spelling.  One of the best books you can get is "The Elements of Style", by Strunk and White.  Also, as far as grammar and spelling, I constantly find myself referring back to Simon and Schuster's book, "Handbook for Writers".  Both can be found at the library.

Everyone has their own style, but style doesn't have anything to do with proper grammar and correct spelling.   Style is how you use the language to make a point. 

I think you're doing alright so far.. just keep with it and you'll be good.

Welcome to HP!

19. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

It is in your best interest to improve your grammar if you want people to take you seriously. Writing is a skill like any other and you really should take the advice you have been given in this thread.

You will not earn money if people try to get away from your hubs as quickly as they can. You have to write something that will interest others. People's opinions on the thread do not matter but you have to ask yourself "why would someone read my hubs?".

20. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

Sometimes I make smelling pistakes deliberately. You can find out why, if we still have had those great hubbers who're no longer active here.

"Know the rules before you break them." And you do know them, SS.

1. SunSeven profile image62
        SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can I bend it, perhaps?
        But, why are you after me?

SS, I'm not after you, except that you may come first while I follow second in this thread. All I'm saying is that you can break, or bend, the rules because you've mastered them to a point where breaking them may be a creative rather than a pointless or destructive act.

Thank You ST, You are the BEST.

I didn't know that you were a stickler for ever changing rules. smile

Peace. smile

smile I am a stickler for following the rules, but also for stepping outside the rules after you master them, that being the time when you can use this infraction to encourage insight.

21. Traqqer profile image66
    Traqqerposted 12 years ago

Not with those shades or haircut.

22. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Writing is the only profession where people applaud you for doing it badly.

I wonder how and why those sms sites do so well. smile

2. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

and weathermen?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Mrvoodoo profile image57

True.  But I should imagine that in most cases, writing on Hubpages is more of a hobby, than a chosen profession.

23. Entrepreneur2.0 profile image61

well its part my generation and part of UK culture as well as american so to people my own age i'm just more grown up than they are but have the same problem with English. When i was young i couldn't understand it and i am only good to about a level 5 writing grade and i bet most of you are about a 7 or 8, if you want me to explain what level you are at ill write a damm hub if i have to. P.s. I hate reading dry asbestos writing, as you may have a flaw and so have I except it wouldn't take much learning to get over it again, where as you may need a sabbatical to change your dry wine of a tone.

1. mskills profile image82
      mskillsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I know you're directing this comment at  someone else, I'll take you up on your offer to hub about writing levels.  My interest level is certainly piqued, at any rate. 

Welcome to HubPages, by the way.

Thank you Mskills

2. profile image0

Yes, I would also love to hear about this writing level system. Go for it! I find it kind of funny, though, how a lot of people from the UK area like to talk down about Americans, and say they are much smarter than we are. And here is direct proof they are no better than us. (:

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very few of us are dry writers.  Although most of us change our tones/language depending on our intended audience.  I.E. if I wrote an article about a popular game show, it would sound quite different than if I wrote one on Breast Cancer. (Neither are in my hubs, so don't look)

The grammar thing is important though.  No one expects anyone to be perfect.  Hell, I majored in English and I still have red lines all over the place after I've finished an article.  I just pay attention to them and fix them...

Two Free Checkers:  http://www.spellchecker.net/grammar/ (by grammarly) and http://www.paperrater.com/ (you are going to want to set paper type as speech/presentation or you will have to cite sources...

Just to throw it in:  http://www.plagiarismdetect.com/demo-check.html  It's a plagerism detector that I always use with my paid articles just in case a sentence or phrase from research sticks in my head and accidentally sneaks its way into my writing. 

I generally run all of my writing for hire through all three and many of my hubs/other web 2.0 writing through the first two.  It takes about 5 minutes total per article and fixes 90 percent of what my word processing software and HP's spell check misses.  They are all cut/paste input then cut/paste output programs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)