Help building backlinks and increasing SERP

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image54
    Peacefrog67posted 15 years ago

Hello folks,

I was wondering if any of you had specific strategies you use to increase ranking in the SERPS and getting organic traffic.  I understand that the general strategy is to write unique content and get relevant backlinks.  But lets get into specifics.

For example I have more experience with Squidoo so I will do the following:

1.  Social bookmarking my lens
    2.  Post on Squidoo forums like Firestorm, BestFreeforums, and Forum finder.
    3.  Submit lens to Squidoo directories like Squidom and Lensroll.

Now what specific websites, forums, or directories do you use to build links for Hubpages?  Again I was hoping to get into some specifics.  Thanks everyone!

1. iyazam profile image59
      iyazamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi

Here is an excellent tool that will help you get good inbound links to your site

How To Get Good Inbound Links To Your Website

It's a free tool that I use all the time and its pretty cool!

Good luck!
      Hillel

2. profile image0
      multimasteryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread.  Traffic strategies are endless... In this hub I  reveal 16 of my greatest traffic strategies that have served me well.  All the Best!
      http://hubpages.com/hub/increased-web-t … -your-hubs

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

1. Blogging the hubpages.
    2. Entering face book
    3. Posting in yahoo 360
    4. Mailing it.

Jyoti Kothari

3. thranax profile image70
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Well all of these are normally used by me:

Personal:
    -Blog
    -Website

Other:
    -Random Forums (in Signatures)
    -Mailed to Friends\Family
    -Social Bookmarks

Hope that helps!

~thranax~

4. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

LInk from my blog
    Add to my website which mentions all my hubs! (sometimes I'm behind again!)
    relevant forum signatures depending on the topic
    comments on do-follow blogs which are relevant and thats a proper comment too not just "great post"
    submit articles to ezinearticles.com and other article directories
    my number one tool that I am having success with at the moment is something called Article Marketing Automation which allows me to write short articles which are posted to lots of different blogs and gives me the backlinks - Im impressed with the results to date - WARNING this is a paid tool and you shouldn't be spending money on if you are a beginner

1. laflat7 profile image40
      laflat7posted 15 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the info, i will read your hubs as soon as possible big_smile

5. funwithtrains profile image44
    funwithtrainsposted 15 years ago

In addition to the other methods mentioned:

* Squidtop.com

* SquidU.com forum signature

I have also had some success using this Automatic Bookmarking software.  It's not free, but fairly reasonably priced considering the number of well-known social bookmarking sites that it hits and its ability to bookmark on lesser-known "scuttle" sites.

6. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Blogger.com, Wordpress.com, livejournal.com, ideafry.com, multiply, ning.com for blog posts.

Ezinearticles, goarticles, gather, squidoo, knol, weebly, tripod for articles.

Tumblr, feedburner, and other RSS feed aggregators for RSS feed links.

Share-a-post for syndication.

And my own blogs, of course.

1. thranax profile image70
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow, quite a few I have never heard of.

~thranax~

7. profile image0
    terrygposted 15 years ago

Open an account at Indianpad dot com helps with high Page Rank.

8. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Good idea. I am writing much about India.

Jyoti Kothari

9. profile image54
    Peacefrog67posted 15 years ago

Thanks guys this has been very helpful!

10. mhei profile image58
    mheiposted 15 years ago

this thread may not be from me but i learned a great deal...i need all the info i can get to increase more traffic.tnx guys and tnx for creating this thread smile

11. nramos profile image59
    nramosposted 15 years ago

Thanks guys! This is VERY helpful.

12. rancidTaste profile image64
    rancidTasteposted 15 years ago

This thread is very useful. Thanks, all the members of hubpages. Really, you all are great. I think this thread will helpful for me much for my coming hub pages.

Thanks
    rancidTaste

13. Violet's View profile image61
    Violet's Viewposted 15 years ago

Thank you for all your good ideas and information.  I am just starting to sign up for other sites to promote my Hubpages and I had a question.  Should I use my same user name, ie. Violet's View, on other sites like Digg that I am using to drive traffic to my Hubpages?  It seems logical to do that to further promote my identity and therefore my Hubs.  Is there any reaon NOT to do this that I don't know about.  Thanks

14. Lissie profile image77

One thing I regret is not using my own  name or a proper pseudonym when I stated at hubpages. You end up developing an online identity (or brand as the marketers would have it) so that you become recognisable.  Its also one of the reasons I don't change my photo and use it consistently on many sites too

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Someone pointed that out to me early on, and I'm grateful for it.  It's the reason I have a proper name on HubPages rather than a goofy nickname. 

Having a real name may be boring, but it means I can refer publishers to my HubPages and feel confident my portfolio looks professional.   In fact, I'm beginning to regret that I didn't just use my real name, as my online persona and my real-life one are beginning to overlap and it would be much easier to have just one name!  Too late to change it now, though - Google Marisa Wright and you'll see my "brand" has become fairly widespread: no point in undoing all that good work.

15. Violet's View profile image61

Thanks Lissie and Marisa for your input.  You answered my question and I appreciate it!
    The other downfall of using a "penname" that is not your true name, might be that another person who has that same name as their legal name could write under it too and gain from your "fame".
    Using a penname has certainly been done by many authors throughout history, so I would think a prospective publisher would not hold that against you.  So many things to consider and so many avenues for promotion.  It is mind boggling some times.
    Do you submit articles outside the web as well?  Do you think this will bring more monetary success.  Thanks for your help and input.  I truly do thank you both.
    Violet (*)

No one has a patent on a name, so even if I used my real name, that could happen.  In fact there's already a writer with almost the same name as me - the only difference is a few letters in the surname!  So in some ways, perhaps its better that I use a pen name, because so far I've only found two other Marisa Wrights online - and neither are writers. 

Originally I had two reasons for using a pen name - one, I was writing about relationships and feared some of my articles would upset my ex-partner - so I felt I could write with fewer restrictions if I wasn't "me".  Two, I was (and still am) concerned about identity theft.  If you're going to start writing about your life - where you were born, how old you are, where you live, your kids' names etc - it becomes frighteningly easy for someone to put it all together and take over your life.  So my name isn't real, there isn't a single site where I've been honest about my date of birth, and I haven't posted a head-and-shoulders shot of me anywhere. 

I must say, I do start to feel like I'm overreacting when I see all the thousands of people online with photos, real names, even photos of their kids and their homes -  but at the same time, I know someone who had their identity stolen off Facebook, and the experience was devastating.

16. Violet's View profile image61

I am like you.  I would rather remain anonymous.  My intuition is strongly in favor of that.
    V.

17. Lissie profile image77

My real name is so odd most people probably think its made up! Its certainly unique on the web LOL Unfortunately because of the variants in spelling I had to buy 3 domains to cover it: that's another thing worth doing buy your name.com - it costs <$10 and it stops anyone else using it even if you just redirect it to your hubpages profile! So far  Ihave lissie doing social media, lis doing trends stuff, and Elisabeth doing the paid writing gigs !

I don't see much point in hiding my real birthday (except for vanity) - after all in Australia my drviers licence has my birth date and address - how silly is that! I do not give out my address or any phone number except a mobile phone which is disposable anyway.  My domains are registered to a legit PO Box

I don't identify my next of kin by name or otherwise because  I don't have (havent asked for) their permission.

I guess if  I did use a pename for writing then  I would have to do something with the tax office to assure them that the invoice to Jane Doe was actually paying me? That's the only complexity I can see

The use of pen names by writers has been so common for centuries, the tax office takes it in its stride.  If you're getting into jobs you may have to declare for tax, you just have to ensure the publisher knows and uses your real name for all the business stuff including invoicing and cheques - your pen name just appears on your byline. 

I think it'll be a long time before my writing could be considered a business (under Australian tax law, if you're making only a small income from something, you can regard it as a hobby and don't have to declare it).  So I don't think I'll have to worry about pseudonyms and the tax office any time soon.

18. steimmanbernard profile image58
    steimmanbernardposted 15 years ago

for me twitter could be a big help for traffic if you know how to use that then im sure you will happy to check the traffic everyday.

19. Dorsi profile image83
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

Very helpful thread. I am going to peruse this one carefully because I need to learn more about article submitting. I'm not doing a bad job but there is definitely alot of room for improvement. Ah.....that lovely learning curve!!!

20. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I have friends offline who tease and yell out loud, " Hey, Dame!" tongue lol ... it's cute and strangers look at me funny, tongue o well, lol

21. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

There are many Shirley Andersons that come up in a Google Search.  At least one is a writer (health, I think) and has the same middle initial as I do.  If someone is looking for me specifically, they'll think I have a TON of stuff online.

Not only that, but there is another Shirley Anderson on Helium that my stuff comes up under if you just punch in the name for a general search there.

I guess a pen name might be good, I use pen names in forums, but I wanted to use my real name - writer's ego, I guess.

22. riotgrrrl profile image67
    riotgrrrlposted 15 years ago

There are so many different methods of promotion, i just dont know where to begin!! Which do you general find to be the most successfull? or is it really a combination of everything that yields results.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)