New Account Issue

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

My 16 year old daughter wantes to write artistic hubs (sketching, painting, etc.) The TOS do not allow minors to join HP. Can I open a separate account in my name, have my daughter write for me, and use my HP ads account, Google, etc. without violating TOS? I intend to pay her what is earned on her writing.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does she know about this site?

http://www.teenink.com/

2. BeatsMe profile image53
    BeatsMeposted 12 years ago

I think it should be okay. Just be aware that you are responsible for your account.

1. privateye2500 profile image40
      privateye2500posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well that is just down right silly that a 16 year old cannot write a hub!

Sheesh

Silly as in not allowed - whatever.  There are so many rules no who can keep up?

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Apparently only people who can't be bothered to read the legal agreements they are entering into with various companies.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image56
          Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They can write a hub they just cant own an account or get paid (directly) for the ads. It's the advertising that makes the rule not the hub build process etc... That, is based on Google and other ads they run including amazon/ebay widgets- it's more about a binding contract (liability) than anything else.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, silly things like tax issues and Adsense's rules...

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

One must be 18 to enter a legally binding contract. So that's probably why HP, adsense, etc. have that rule.

As to the OP's question, it seems to me that:

A. You can have anyone you want write your hubs.
    B. You can do whatever you want with your money.

Then again, I could be wrong. smile

Exactly paradigm  :}

And Gee relache - love to know the % of peeps who Do actually Read all the TOS's and LA's and all the fine print...golly gee - think any art would ever get published?

I think not.

1. QuestionMaster profile image80
        QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well in that case you're still lucky to have your accounts.

Adsense ToS, in particular, is quite important.

People who don't read it often find they lose their accounts because of simple things like putting adverts on inappropriate content (drugs, gambling, adult, sensitive topics etc are not allowed), using traffic exchanges, encouraging people to click on their adverts and other issues.

And, unfortunately, Adsense accounts are one of the hardest to get back if you lose. In fact, if you have actually broken their rules, you'll probably never see your Adsense account again.

It's on your own head if you choose not to read the rules and then get banned because of it.

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

I would think you can publish anything you want as long as you hold the rights to the content.

It would be you publishing it not your daughter.

Where the earnings go is your business only.

That is just my opinion!

1. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right. The TOS says an account holder must be 18 or older (old enough to sign a binding contract.) There is nothing forbidding me from publishing my daughter's work as far as I know, but was hoping HP staff would provide guidance.

5. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

I published something my son wrote when he was only ten, but I put it on my own account and he doesn't even know! It's a poem and currently getting up to 20 google searches a day, which I think is pretty good for a poem.

I did make it clear, however, that it was written by a child, although I did not publish his name as he would kill me!

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh tell him, Polly!  Then take him to google analytics where they have the world map showing where views are coming from.  Let him see he has readers from all over the world.

Bet he'd love it!

1. Polly C profile image90
        Polly Cposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I should tell him, I know. He doesn't have a very high opinion of his writing skills - I'm not sure why as he does write some really descriptive and genius pieces sometimes. But, he is a typical boy who often just gets the task over with as quickly as possible. Also, he is a bit of a talker, so his school work so often ends abruptly when he runs out of time! But, I think, the worst thing is that a while back he got a below average score on his mock Sats (ridiculous, pointless tests we have in England, especially the mocks) and this 'label' of not being good at writing seems to have stuck. It's so untrue as he has come on in leaps and bounds since then and comes out with some very original lines, but in his head he is stuck with this feeling. So, you're right, he should definitely know and it will hopefully boost his confidence as well. Though he may still kill me!

6. Jerrico Usher profile image56
    Jerrico Usherposted 12 years ago

Your an account holder over 18 so technically you can post her stuff to YOUR account, the thing is as an account holder your responsible for the content you write/post and for adhering it to the rules- but there is nothing stating YOU have to write or build the post- just that you have to take responsibility for it.

An example of this is you have 100 hubs content outsourced to a ghostwriter, you can post it and claim it as your own (many do this actually) but because your 18 and responsible your liable for the post. In that I don't think, so long as you follow the TOS rules it's not where the content comes from but that it adheres to the rules.

If your kid wrote a great essay and it's not published anywhere on the web, you could technically post it, even say your kid wrote this- the issue is with the account ownership not specifically the content- they want to make sure they can hold you accountable for your content/posting specifically.

By proxy of your account your daughter could legitimately create content but it is you that has to (technically) post it after making sure it follows the rules- I would, if I were you, make sure you adhere to this concept- or let her  play within but make sure she doesn't post anything you haven't checked first.

Also realize that you have to have actual content in your published hubs not just art work with a few scribbles of what it is, i.e. a paragraph per picture etc...

Good Luck!

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
      Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I replied from the feed, sorry didn't see my answer was already here smile (didn't mean to redundantize you)... I do want to add one thing, you as a legitimate author can add more than one account to your hub account ownership- but don't test the team by using your daughters real name as the account name, it may be ok so long as the owner of the account is showing as you (your IP will bind them anyway when you sign up) but you can use an avatar name she picks and put her work there- again be sure you publish or approve what she makes. Technically she isn't allowed to  play with the capsules etc... but I don't think they'd mind so long as the account is yours and your taking "legal" responsibility for the posts... You can email the team directly (team@hubpages.com) to be double sure... The problem I'm sure is not so much the content, or ownership as it is the legalities of earning from the various monetization models. As the team themselves will post ads etc... to hubs even if you opt out of everything- they are legally liable for this which is why they require the 18+ as I'm sure the other companies also require you to be 18 to earn from them they are passing the laws on to us/you.

7. Cyber Scribe profile image72
    Cyber Scribeposted 12 years ago

I specifically checked into all these rules in great detail.

You can't open a hubpages account or an Adsense account until you are 18. But you can have a Xomba account at 14 and there's no age limit for an InfoBarrel account. Your child is allowed to have a Xomba or InfoBarrel account with your Google adsense on it and when they are 18 they can open their own adsense account and you can change the code on their Xomba or InfoBarrel account. Realize though in the meantime you will have to pay tax on their earnings.

You have to be 18 to have a WebAnswers account, but many people do join WebAnswers under 18. If your child joins WebAnswers you can't put your google adsense code on their account because you can't have your google code on more than one account on WebAnswers.

On Hubpages, Xomba and InfoBarrel you can have as many accounts as you like with the same google code.

Now, to answer your original question, nothing is stopping you from opening an account in your name and giving your daughter the earnings from that account, but the account will forever be in your name.

And talking about Xomba and InfoBarrel, I recommend InfoBarrel over Xomba, it's just that I checked into the rules of those very carefully so wanted to share.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)