How much do you know about China? Please don't lie

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (69 posts)
  1. fz0213fz profile image61
    fz0213fzposted 14 years ago

I'm a Chinese college student.I'm very curious about how you Americans judge us. So no matter how you think or what you wander,just tell me. I will answer your question from an objective perpective as best I can do. Thank you! 
    PS:I sinserely want to be a friend of yours .

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To make friends it may be a good idea not to tell them "don't lie." That is insulting.

fz0213fzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For some subtle reason on politics,sometimes people of the two contries may hide their true feelings.So what I really meant is that we should put aside politics.  I never meant to insult you. I think friends should be sincere to each other.What do you think ?

I agree. Sincerity is important.
          I am not American, but people are pretty much the same in Australia apart from cultural nuances in my view.

I know a few things about China, my son was born in Xian and spent his first six years between Xian and Beijing. I know about the revolution and a bit about the dynasties. I have seen a lot of home movie footage around Xian and some of the countryside in China. The country is very beautiful so I do watch any documentaries about China to see more of it. I think the Chinese people are hard working, a bit pre-occupied with having male children, pretty careful with money and are often good loving parents, if sometimes too strict in my opinion.
          Overall I think that human rights could be better in China (and Australia)but I think China is becoming much more open than I can remember at any time past.
          These are the impressions I have of China and Chinese people.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but this seems to be two  different questions:
      1) What do you know about China the country (geography, politics)?
      2) What do you think of the people of China?

Please clarify.

Sorry about the ambiguity. I just wonder what you know about China.You can tell me no matter what you know, what you think.Thank you very much.

3. R. Blue profile image61
      R. Blueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

China is an unknown land to me because it is so far away.  There are places I haven't traveled here in the United States though...so I can't say I know anything about the state of Montana or Washington.  One thing I can assume though as it is probably universal.  There are good people and there are bad people in China.....also in Washington and Montana.....and around the world.  If you treat me with respect, I will reply in kind, but if you hit me...you can also expect the same. I have heard that China is a beautiful place and I would like to travel there some day.

You are right. Bad and good people exist anywhere.But I don't think that's a way to judge the country. Anyhow,China does have a lot of beautiful sceneries,I assure you that it's never a pity visiting Chian. Welcome here. I would sincerely like to be your guide.

1. R. Blue profile image61
          R. Blueposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    4. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have several close friends from Lionying Province and though I've not yet been there, I've seen many of their home movies from their visits home, e.g. in Feb for the Chinese New Year. So, I've 'seen' inside a few homes, and 'seen' the dragon dance with the whole village taking part, in the ice & snow. The schaums make an amazing sound! I often eat with my friends and have even had them teach me how to make dumplings!

5. Mr Nice profile image77
      Mr Niceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi fz0213fz!
      I noticed hubbers are confused about your question. I think the best way to find out what other hubbers think or know about China or Chinese people is you make a hub about China. Explain every thing which no one ever wrote or said about China & Chinese people. I believe you will find out what other hubbers think or know about China in the form of comments.

1. profile image0
        shreekrishnaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

other than forums ,
        i don't think it will attract more eyes from hub.
        becoz hub are for knowledge base,

in forums we can write or ask as short as possible,

& can ask in any form ,

but by hub we wan't to explain a about full details ,

otherwise short hubs with less content are rejected.

&

one more thing,
        it hub will attract only those eyes , who really want to know about china.

2. fz0213fz profile image61

It's very hard to do such a big job, but I'll try my best. Perhaps two months later in my summer holiday you will see some of them published

6. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here are some things that I've always wanted to know, but no matter how many Chinese people I have asked, I have never quite understood the answer:

1) What are the formal rules for writing poetry in Chinese? Is there anything that is equivalent to Western meter in traditional Chinese poems?

2) What is the earliest usage of the Modern Mandarin copula "shi"? Was it a pronoun first? Or was it an adjective meaning "correct"?

3) If you are traveling in the most direct route from the village of Kihsien to Kaifeng, which direction are you headed?

It's really difficult for me to answer that in English. I'll just try my best.
        1): What is the quite the same with Western poems is that both have quite  requirements about rhymes andm rhythm and rhymes, only that Chinese poems are much stricter with that.
        However, in traditional poems, usually a line contains five or seven characters, and a poem usually has four or eight lines. Poems written not according to the rule are usually more ancient ones.
        2)是(shi) used to be a pronoun in ancient Chinese, meaning this or that, kind of like "the" in English. But in modern Chinese, it has other meanings. In some occasions, it means "yes". When used as a verb, it is like "is are am was were", the "be" verb family in English.
        3)Where is Kihsien? Never heard of that.

2. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I think that fz just meant "Be as honest as possible, don't hold back" and I think is wondering how Americans view China and the Chinese people.

You may be right colebabie, and I would like to know what Americans think of China. My youngest son (adopted) is Chinese, he came to Australia when he was six. Most Australians are pretty fond of the Chinese people.

It's so kind of you to adopt a Chinese kid. I really want to know him. How come he went to Australia at the age of six?
        PS: I love Australia very much. I've always been dreaming of visiting that wonder island someday. There are so many special things.

Thank you for the appreciation of my country. I met a Chinese woman here in Melbourne Australia.I married her so she could stay here. I thought she was very beautiful and clever and I loved her.
          She told me she had a son in China, so I adopted him. The relationship with her broke up but the child stayed with me of his own choice.He is now 20 and I am so proud of him. Don't get me started I could talk about him all day!

You got it. Let's just put aside concerns and be honest

3. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Dear person from China,

I know less about your country than others I've traveled to.  I'm yet to have the desire to visit your place of abode.  But putting that aside, is it just the American's opinion of your country you are after, or can Australian's participate?

Kind regards,

Jewels.

It seems that you travel quite a lot, right? Of course Australians are welcome here! You can just say whatever you wanna say.

4. Colebabie profile image61

Do people only eat with chopsticks? Or do you have forks as well?

When it comes to food culture, what to use when eating is not important.We do use chopsticks most of the time.Forks is less seen,for we usually don't eat things like a large piece of beef,for example.

When it comes to food culture, what to use when eating is not important.We do use chopsticks most of the time.Forks are less seen,for we usually don't eat things like a large piece of beef,for example.

3. fz0213fz profile image61

When it comes to food culture, what to use when eating is not important.We do use chopsticks most of the time.Forks are less seen,for we usually don't eat things like a large piece of beef,for example.

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Pretty good food, I'd say.  The art is really kinda cool, too.

If you could write a hub on the Great Wall, i.e., I'd be interested in seeing it. smile  As the only man made structure that can be viewed from space, among other reasons, it is interesting to me.

As far as Chinese people--I knew a professor from China who was my neighbor--she was cool.  Very thrifty.  Ph.D in Physics.  Could NOT drive to save her life--it was highly scary. She liked my cat.

Others I knew were graduate students.  Their wives cooked good food (that's how I know about the food).

I'm a little amazed that you know so many Chinese. Yeah, I won't be shamed to say that we have delicious food and very special art. As for arts, they are so profound that I can't understand much. Still,I love to appreciate them. I will publish more hubs about Chinese culture and sceneries, as you wish. Thanks for your reply.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image86
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES! Hubs about Chinese landmarks and scenery would be wonderful! I used to chat with a man from Iran who showed me some of the most beautiful pictures of his country -- I never would have known if he hadn't shared as openly as he did!

6. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I am a huge fan of culture. I went to college (however briefly) for anthropology. At the time I was specifically interested in paleoanthropology but developed an interest in cultural anthropology as well during my time there. I am particularly interested in the Asian peoples and their languages (so add linguistics to my list of interests).

My husband and I were used to visiting a hibachi restaurant every week. I intend to write a hub about it at some point, I think. My point is that about a third of their staff is Chinese. Wonderful, very open people. Very attached to our daughter, and one of them is teaching her a bit of the language as well. I don't speak even enough Japanese (which I've studied) to teach her, so I appreciate this. I need to start working on her with French, a language I do speak reasonably well.

I don't honestly know a lot about China itself. I know that what I have experienced in the media (not the news media) makes me want to avoid China. I've never really thought about visiting. In Asia my travel interest is honestly restricted to Russia and India. I know of no landmarks that I really would like to see there. Perhaps I need to brush up on what I know or do not know of your country.

I, for one, would be interested in seeing hubs about China. I have noticed that we have several members from India who write about their country and its culture and that is very interesting to me. The same would be true of China.

Thank you for asking!

Thanks for your sincerity.I wonder what kind of things you've seen in media makes you wanna avoid China. Could please tell me ? Maybe I can confirm or deny something. I'll present you what it is in China. Moreover, I'll publish hubs on Chinese culture as well. Welcome to visit.

7. Colebabie profile image61

Earnest that is so amazing!

I am amazed by all my children. My Son's name is Ze Li but has always been called Hugo.His mom named him after Victor Hugo, not understanding at the time that in the west our family name is last! I love the name as it has many wonderful meanings when translated in mandarin. He is a typical Australian kid in many ways.
      He is full of love for life, family, (since coming here he has gained an older brother and sister, sister inlaw, 5 nieces 2 nephews and a pile of animals.
      He is a wonderful guitarist, vocalist, sportsman and importantly he loves his dad!My boys, (the other one just turned forty)both hug and kiss their dad, (that would be me!) whenever we greet.
      I am one satisfied parent!

1. Jewels profile image81
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is sooooo nice to hear. I had a terrible relationship with my father.  I don't know what that would be like to have a huggable relationship with a dad.  Top marks!

You turned out a jewel anyway! I love your approach to life.

1. Jewels profile image81
            Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is so nice to hear, I'm having those warm fuzzy feelings that come from the Force aka the FSM.

8. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

A few years ago I befriended a young university student in China over the skype network.  We had quite a few discussions on many subjects including her university life and relationship with her parents. The One Child Policy led to a lonely life according to her.  Thankfully her mother fully supported her which was wonderful to hear.  I remember her affectionately, she opened to me and wished she could talk to her mum the same way she could to me.  But I think that's a worldwide experience for allot of children and not only Chinese girls.  Our conversations helped with her English and I was happy to talk with her.  We lost touch because skype was a modality not allowed in China.  Has that changed yet?

I do not know how China is going with Skype at this time, I have had no contact from there lately. I have made many Chinese friends over the years as the Chinese were amongst the earliest settlers in Melbourne Australia where I live. I worked as a business consultant for the Chinese Government owned FHGroup and  was the editor of the Australian/Chinese Business Herald in the late nineties. I gained some insights into the Chinese Government's thinking there. I still teach English when I am asked by friends, but my mandarin sucks! he he.(mandarin sucks?) ahem!

You really aroused my interest. It seems that you have so many links with China.Would like to talk to me someday on Skype? Well, my oral English is not very good, maybe you can help me a little,he he. My Skype account is fz0213fz.

I could not find you on skype.

Found it!

2. Paraglider profile image88

Yes. Skype into China works well.

3. fz0213fz profile image61

Skype in China now functions well. You can befriend me if you'd like. My account is fz0213fz on the skype as well

9. Curious Traveller profile image69
    Curious Travellerposted 14 years ago

We would love to visit China. We have heard great reports from people who have visited particularly Hong Kong and Shanghai about the friendliness of the people, the food and the bustling culture.

It is on the "To go to" list - we just don't know when, as yet.

10. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Here's a tip - don't even attempt to play Mahjong with Chinese women. You'll lose. Possibly quite a lot wink

11. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I think China is very interesting indeed. I've only been to Bejing and Inner Mongolia, but I enjoyed both.

I dislike China's political establishment and human rights record.

1. Paraglider profile image88

NTD TV (New Tang Dynasty TV) is interesting. It's made by ex-pat Chinese in the US and broadcasts on satellite to Chinese ex-pat communities around the world. (It's banned in China) I know a lot of Chinese who enjoy its entertainment programmes but find its news slant very anti-Chinese establishment. (Because the Chinese domestic TV services paint an idealised picture of the regime and that's what people are brought up to believe). CCTV4 (from China) is the preferred viewing of most of my friends.

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't watch a lot of television, but I do listen quite a bit of radio.  In general, from what I have seen and heard in the media, we, Americans, don't hear very much about China at all.  There was an increase in media talk about Chinese culture when the Olympics were in China.

Some time in the last few years I saw a program about some changes in attitudes toward little girls.  We've, of course, heard quite a bit about problems with some products from China (toys, pet food, other things).  News programs that discuss politics may bring up China, but - really - these days, there are other countries (and our own new President) that are being talked about more.  As it happens, a lot of Americans (like me) don't have a lot of extra time to be doing all kinds of reading, so a lot of people tend to limit the range of subjects they read about.  Students are more likely to read about/learn about China - but it has been a long time since I've been a student. 

I think a lot of Americans would enjoy seeing Hubs that show what life is like in different kinds of areas in China - rural, urban, etc.  Landmarks would be nice to share.

13. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I live in Nanjing in China and have published a couple of hubs about life here.  Just got back from a weekend to see the shaolin monks and shaolin temple - awesome scenery there!  Amazing visit and will publish a hub about my trip there early next week.  Am a bit too tired now to get all creative.  Earnest, did you see my hub on Xi'An?  Went there for the weekend a couple of weekends ago.  It's the only city in China with a completely intact city wall.  Other stuff about China I'll do after I've left here, as everything we write does get read.  Big Brother is big here!

14. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

China gets a lot of bad press but that is not because of its people but more to do with the media and those who run the world.

There is good and bad everywhere!

I know the country has a very bad record for abuse of human rights and animal cruelty.

There are many who protest about China's treatment of Tibet and the Tibetans and also many animal activists campaign for a boycott of Chinese products because of the cruel way in which dogs and cats are skinned alive for fur as well as those who object to these animals being eaten as food.

I have just received news today about pyramids in China and I quote from an email on the subject:

"The Russian pyramid investigator MaximYakovenko has visited several Chinese pyramid complexes and has finally been able to identify the legendary “White Pyramid” as the Liangshan Mountain, which holds the tomb of Emperor Gaozong. As such, decades of speculation and mystery have finally been answered."

1. Everyday Miracles profile image86
      Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bard said what I was struggling with here. I have seen fictional programs on television that portray China as being a very "inhumane" country. I have not done an honest study of the country in cultural or historical terms at this point in time because I have been so focused on the countries that capture my primary interest (Japan, Kenya, South Africa and most of South America).

2. siftlibra profile image56
      siftlibraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there're some elements of truth in the phenomenon that many chinese treat animals badly,but i'm also confused that why some westerns love their pets or any other animals  more than those  poor children lived in iran. they are suffering the war brought by those greedy state leaders....

15. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Truthfully, I see China's leaders as cold, suppressing, and destructive.

I see the people as emotional robots, intelligent, healthy and lost.

Now, I would like to know did I get any of it right?

Well,in an objective way,I'm afraid you're wrong. It's hard to judge people from such a few simple word,let alone the people of a country.To be honest, China government does restrict something of citizens,but the political envrironment is generally free in here.
      As for Chinese people, they have nothing diffrent from you Americans on characteristics, but do differ a lot in lifestyle. Maybe we can go into details some day later.
      By the way, what do you mean by "lost"?

1. RKHenry profile image63
        RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Americans freely fight with our government.  We are free to express our hatred and love.  We are free to choose.  We do not get run over by tanks.  We would not allow such an act to take place with out a changing of the guard.  The same man or regime would not still be in power today. 

Emotional lost robots in my opinion. 

Please understand, I mean no disrespect to you or to the citizens of China.  Even those in power.  You asked for a truthful ["please don't lie"]source of insight.  I gave you that to which you asked for, the best that I could.  I do think the Chinese people are a lot different than Americans.  Americans are cocky, loud, conceded, proud, definitive people.  I don't see the Chinese people being this way.  Your characteristics of happiness might be the same as mine, but our behaviors are truly different.

Honestly, I have to admit you are right to some extent,but I don't want to talk more about it,for most of these things happen befor I was born or when I was a child, so what I know is also heard from others. You Americans do have a lot of freedom in talking about politics. I admire that very much.Anyway ,thank you for being frank.

16. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

RK, I'll tell you once I leave here.  Just hold on for a couple of months, okay?

17. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I studied Mandarin Chinese for 2 years at the University of Pennsylvania from 1976 to 1977. I was actually a business student majoring in marketing, but I think learning languages are fun) I then lived in Taipei continuing my Chinese language studies. I spent quite a lot of time in Hong Kong as well. Near the end of my stay I was able to travel to Peking and Shanghai. About 10 years later, I travelled by riverboat down the Yangtze River. I've also been to Tibet and Nepal.

I've always been happy that I was able to go to these countries before McDonalds and other types of western (American) culture became part of the landscape.

But I must admit that I was never really comfortable in those cultures on a daily basis. I love living in America, especially in coastal Massachusetts. I wasn't cut out for ex-pat culture.

18. Shil1978 profile image85
    Shil1978posted 14 years ago

Don't know much about China I have to confess, but I have always wished to know what ordinary Chinese feel about Tibet? I know what the regime thinks about Tibet and all the human rights abuses that go on in Tibet. Do the Chinese people feel too that Tibet is their land?

Also, I've seen snakes being skinned alive and eaten on Discovery Channel in China. Is that widespread or something rare?

As I far as I know, every Chinese consider Tibet as part of China,and we are all quite indignant about its wanting to break up from China. As for the snake, well,it is very cruel in our eyes.Only in one province people eat them in that way,which is gradually being condemned.

19. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I learn from the discovery channel about China. tongue sorry. My father has done business there also and reported they are very respectful businessmen. I think China has a awesome history and would love to visit that Wall and shrines. smile

20. profile image49
    flipflopnheelsposted 14 years ago

Pardon for deviating..rather than answering your question, can u pls. answer mine. Why most chinese remain thin, despite that your food is oily.

1. siftlibra profile image56

maybe it's because of the hereditary factor

21. profile image0
    shreekrishnaposted 14 years ago

i only know that ,

it contains a city name hongkong ,

but i learned lot from this topic about china,

thank you for asking such topic,

wish you to your success.

22. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Iran forbids adoption of Iranian kids tongue lots people would welcome them into their lives and homes. Siftlibra-- Why don't you write a Hub about your concern hmm

1. siftlibra profile image56

hehe,good idea....

23. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I only know what has been reported in the news or written in newspapers.

24. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I am of the opinion that Chinese and Americans are far more similar than is commonly acknowledged.

25. AJHargrove profile image67
    AJHargroveposted 14 years ago

My sister was an East Asian studies major, so I got some tidbits from her. But if I put them all together and the overall impression I got was that the Chinese people are pretty obsessed with they way they appear to the outside world. (Of course she was there just before the Olympics.)

You all also seem to have a strong loyalty to your country and government. Incidentally, I hope you don't think I'm "judging" you. This is just what comes to mind when I think about China (well, after the art in museums I've been to and the few character my sis's taught me).

Aya Katz: You sound very well-informed. It's intimidating. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)