jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

What if everyone perceived colors totally differently?

1. j-matlock profile image61
    j-matlockposted 5 years ago

What if everyone perceived colors totally differently?

2. NathanielZhu profile image72
    NathanielZhuposted 5 years ago

We probably do, but for most it's so subtle that it doesn't matter.
    If everyone was blind to a different shade of color then we'd probably have to rely on the objective eyes of machines to communicate color - say through a handheld device like a smart phone with an app to measure wavelengths.

3. theclevercat profile image94
    theclevercatposted 5 years ago

People do perceive colors differently -- men and women perceive them differently, as do those who are color blind. Also, people *like* different colors, which causes them to naturally understand those colors in a different way. Great question!!

4. Doc Snow profile image93
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

A very interesting question.  But tell me--are you absolutely sure that we don't already?

5. Sarah Christina profile image83
    Sarah Christinaposted 5 years ago

Actually, I have wondered many times if people didn't see colors differently than me. For example blue/purple seems to get confused a lot, especially if its that shade where its a blend between the two. Since shades of colors can vary so widely, sometimes its tricky to discern just what color it is. So I do think there is a small variance between most people on how they perceive a color. However, if it was a totally different perception...well...artists and clothes designers and professions that depend a lot on color would be drastically affected.

6. Dr. Haddox profile image80
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

There is a sense of order in the "world of Nature" because colors are perceived consistently, or nearly the same (some people are color-blind). It would be a problem so great, and so difficult to solve if everyone perceived colors totally differently that, even though I am a doctor who understand science and medicine, I am not prepared to write a hub on it. It would require too much time and too much energy for me to write the 1000 to 1500 word document that I would have to write to make sense out of this problem. Your question is a good one, however, because it caused me and others to use our minds thinking about this.
    Take care.
    Dr. Haddox

7. Lwelch profile image92
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

I have wondered this so many times!  I guess we know that colorblind people do... well we think we know.  I guess we know that wavelengths register certain ways.  How do we know if what I call blue isn't what red looks like to you?  All I know is that you and I perceive the wavelengths the same way and call them the same thing.  I know that if you are colorblind a number of wavelengths look the same.  I also know that preferred color combinations work the same way for most people based on wavelength.  I never know though how you actually see those colors.

8. yougotme profile image89
    yougotmeposted 5 years ago

I also got curious about this. I just thought that what if each one sees colors differently. I mean, we know that a grape is violet. But, what if the way I see it is different than yours but we still say it's violet, because we've associated what we see with the term violet regardless of what we actually see.

It's mind boggling really. smile

9. profile image0
    auroraalberbaposted 5 years ago

Color actually doesn't exist. It's merely our conscious minds presenting us with an interpretation of a certain wavelength of light so that we can make better sense of our surroundings.

To be able to make this assessment, everyone would have to know exactly what the other person was perceiving. Even with perfect telepathy this would be impossible because as soon as you perceive what someone else is perceiving, it is your own perception of theirs that you will experience.

10. AlexK2009 profile image92
    AlexK2009posted 5 years ago

If we all call "red" "red" does it matter is some of us see "green"  and how would anyone know as long as it is consistent

11. securityproducts3 profile image40
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

If everyone perceived colors totally differently, Stoplights would suck.