jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What are the ways that there is STILL an underlying prejudice against very small

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What are the ways that there is STILL an underlying prejudice against very small families

(childfree and 1-child families) in this society and culture?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9060915_f260.jpg

2. Nateerrr profile image74
    Nateerrrposted 3 years ago

In my experience, small families are becoming the norm, as we move farther from times when having several children was necessary, either to ensure survival of at least some of them (long ago when medicine was poor and infancy/youth fatality was rampant), or to use as a source of labor (when many families operated farms that required many workers), as well as the post-WW2 baby boom. Birth rates are as low as they've been in the last century by a significant margin, and perhaps even at an all-time low. If anything, though, I'd say that any prejudice against small families would likely come from older persons who still believe large families are the norm, and those raised to believe these same traditional sentiments. People are always resilient to change.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The prejudice often come not only from older people who still believe that large families are the norm but also from young people who come from large families.In essence those from large families are highly prejudiced against very small families.

3. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 3 years ago

I think it's the other way around.  I don't think there is any prejudice against small families. Maybe in some more conservative areas of the country but that is a shrinking amount. Large families are now seen as very poor, uneducated or very religious. Many times they are mocked. Having a small family or some cases, no children in a marriage, is increasingly seen as responsible.
      There is a growing chasm in this country anyway, between those with children and those without. Voting patterns reflect this phenomenon.  I don't remember seeing or hearing anything like it when I was growing up.  It's appears especially acute among women. I can't tell you how many times I've heard disparaging remarks by childless women towards women with children. And vice versa. Although they vitriol seems to come from those without kids. The men pile on too. I don't hold a grudge against either group. I don't get it. You have to respect other people's choices.
    Great question and food for thought.

gmwilliamsposted 11 days agoin reply to this

People really don't mock large families, they view such families as unintelligent, even backwards.  If such weren't the case, why would some people elect to have large families in this age of advanced contraception, knowingly & willingly bringing up children in circumstances of limited time, resources, & opportunities.  People who do this can be classified as having below average or low intelligence, even being irresponsible.  People are rightfully indignant at large families because such families are condemning the children to poverty & limitations.  One has to be extremely obtuse to have a large family in the postmodern, 21st century.

working