Would you be a guinea pig for scientific or medical research?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 3 years ago

Would you be a guinea pig for scientific or medical research?

Many animal advocacy groups have told us that we cannot use animals no longer.  I agree with that only becasue animals are not like people.  Would you be that test subject for find solutions to or cures for diseases and such?

2. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

Nope, because the medical establishment has no interest in ever curing any disease.  Pharmaceuticals don't care about people, they care about their bottom line only.  They'd rather chase symptoms and have people dependent on medicines for a lifetime than ever cure anything.  I was almost killed by a prescription drug I should never have been put on because the pharmaceutical reps were pushing it on doctors.  Never again will I trust the medical establishment.  In those clinical trials - 14 people died out of 1,000, yet the FDA declared the drug "safe" and it was prescribed for several years before being given a "black box warning".  Nope, no way no how would I ever be a guinea pig knowingly for big pharma to profit off of.

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I so agree, good answer

3. Besarien profile image85
    Besarienposted 3 years ago

It really would depend on the circumstances and my own and my family's health, as well as how much I believed in the importance of the research.

4. Sparklea profile image74
    Sparkleaposted 3 years ago

Probably not.  On the other hand, if a person has a terminal illness, he/she may say, 'Why not?  What do I have to lose?'  I can totally understand their point of view.
    That being said I am 100 percent AGAINST using animals for research.  I found a list on the internet of societies who ask for donations but allow animal research.  I REFUSE to donate money to any of those organizations.  Just the thought of these terrified caged animals makes me sick.  I so loathe animal cruelty that I cannot read about it in the paper, or see a movie that it involves.  And using animals for scientific or medical research is extremely cruel.
    I agree with Christen - I truly believe many medications are just plain dangerous.  I personally cannot take statins, decongestants or narcotics.  They mess me up terribly.
    I also agree with Christin that pharmaceuticals don't care about people.  One of the medications my husband is on for diabetes would charge over $1,000 per month IF we did not have insurance.  All they care about is making big money.
    That being said, some medications are necessary...I have to take blood pressure pills, and those with diabetes must have insulin. 
    But I am certainly not a candidate to be a guinea pig, and I would have no desire to do so.  Thank you for a great question.  Blessings, Sparklea smile

5. Babbyii profile image79
    Babbyiiposted 3 years ago

It depends. I know from experience that you really don't know what you'd be willing to do if you were in a tight spot. Or if someone's life depended on you to do make such a sacrifice.  I stung myself with honey bees for 20 years. Gave me my life back. Never thought I'd do that. And some thought I was just plain stupid. Why did I do it?  I still had a child to raise after my husband died. I wasn't afraid of death but it did bother me to think that my child wouldn't have at least one parent to raise him. It was worth it.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago

As others have said, it might depend on the circumstance,When I found out my cancer-stricken cousin had volunteered for an experimental treatment, I asked her if she wanted to be a 'guinea pig' and she said she had gone through the conventional treatments, and -- even if this didn't help her, personally,-- it might help someone else. Which sounds reasonable and even generous.

7. Luke M Simmons profile image76
    Luke M Simmonsposted 3 years ago

If I had the illness in question, and my life depended on the research, I would likely opt in.  Otherwise, my cynical self-serving tendencies would likely outweigh any altruistic motivation.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Definitely not and I do not agree that they should use animals either. Have they ever thought about using each other?

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 3 years agoin reply to this

So true

9. Lady Lorelei profile image86
    Lady Loreleiposted 3 years ago

I think that most people who suffer from a serious illness are already statistics in the making. Depending on the severity of their illness taking a new experimental drug would be a viable alternative to many.

I suffer from a disease classed under the category of rare illnesses and it has been a real battle. Many individuals classed in this same category of illness are willingly taking experimental treatments.

It all comes down to how much pain, disability, or risk you are currently under. Plus I am sure that many healthier individuals would do it for the money if there was a monetary gain to be had.

So I guess the answer is yes. If I had a chance to get much closer to a normal life or a viable period of remission, you bet I would jump at it.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
      Lady Guinevereposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I had three good answers to choose from and yous was unbiased.  Thank you for your unbiased answer.

10. Michael-Milec profile image62
    Michael-Milecposted 3 years ago

Never voluntarily, the other option won't matter, since new regulations, orders, or regimes implementations frequently come out as ' there isn't other choice but...'

11. MizBejabbers profile image92
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I did it once before with no harmful effects. I was a guinea pig for a new allergy drug about 30 years ago. I tried to volunteer for a relatively harmless program recently, but they never answered my email, and I've even forgotten what it was now. I would not be as willing to volunteer for something serious like my epileptic friend did. He was very stable on his meds, and he volunteered for a study of a new medication. It threw him so far off that he never recovered. He ended up having brain surgery which debilitated him.
    So, I would volunteer under only one of two conditions: the study would be relatively harmless, or I would be desperately ill and had nothing to lose.
    I do not agree with experiments on animals of any kind, especially not testing cosmetics to make women more attractive. I worried the whole time the first monkey was in space.

12. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 3 years ago

If I absolutely knew with proof it was going to work, I would do it to save a life.

However these people are only out for money, so for myself personally, not a chance.

They can never offer full proof, no one can.

Technology is supposed to be so advanced, I am sure out there in this world, someone can figure out how to test, non human and non animal.

It's like cancer, money had gone into research for as long as I can remember and yet where does the money really end up. By now , with all the so called money they have raised, there should be a sure fire way to rid cancer. Technology Advanced remember.

Or here is a thought, maybe scientists/doctors  do have a sure fire way, but they would lose millions if the research surfaced. Who knows.

Blessings all

13. profile image0
    Miran Shuletaposted 3 years ago

I think specific circumstances have to be considered beforehand, such as the severity of the experiment, side-effects and short to long term complications.

14. word55 profile image73
    word55posted 3 years ago

It all depends on what aspect it is. If it is for the upper body then maybe so. If it is for the lower body then maybe not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)