jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Regarding the employment issue, what makes some people able to obtain jobs very

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 23 months ago

Regarding the employment issue, what makes some people able to obtain jobs very easily while there

are others possessing the same or even very superior levels of education, skill sets, &  intelligence who seem to find it extremely difficult to obtain a job & a  subcategory of those even being considered unemployable?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months ago

In my experience, the passive aggressive has a formidable advantage over the capable, talented, educated, and even experienced people. I have seen candidates work their magic of manipulating the interviewer into believing that they are one mind. Many unqualified executives have not only been hired but they easily climbing the ladder, with their once superiors dazed and left on the side of the road. A ladder built on bodies, bodies that were utilized by them for upward mobility.

This is an observation of many decades, over several dozen companies of various sizes and cultures.

Personality, or rather the ability to clone a personality to match that of the Interviewer and hiring person trumps all other attributes. These people are masters of the Peter Principle, exceeding their level of incompetence.

I know of one person, who was a mediocre performance in the hi tech field that rose from worker to VP over the course of his employment. He didn't have a college education, and he was a fair programmer. Using his personality skill set he became  a manager in several companies. The projects that he managed were either poorly done, or failed but that didn't hurt his advancement. Later he moved onto Directing hi tech groups. He dazzled the upper management with his ideas. Unfortunately, he never successfully implemented them. Yet, that didn't stop him from becoming a VP. It just meant that he failed at bigger projects.

I use this as an example of my point, and it is by far not uncommon. Upper mgmt is filled with many weak people that can be controlled by this personality. And they are undetectable to most of the senior mgmt. You would think that poor performance, or inadequate education or experience would rule them out upward mobility, or even getting the foothold in the company, but not in my experience.

As we have seen in the presidential campaign, competence and performance are not the prime attributes for the voters.

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I know one guy who was a C student ALL THROUGH COLLEGE & now he is the head of a department.  I know another woman who was at THE BOTTOM of her class & she's a radio executive.  I as an A-B student only achieved mediocre professional success-

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
      bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months agoin reply to this

It gives credence to the, It is not what you know, but who you know/ There are people that want to get a job done, and there are other people that want to climb the ladder.

3. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 23 months ago

In order to succeed in the job market, the applicant must possess "in demand" skills and attitude.
    That's really all there is to it.
    Make yourself indispensable. My skillset allowed me to pick and choose any job, anywhere, anytime. They NEED my skills and very few people would get the training I did in order to perfect those skills.
    (Blood Banking and Laboratory Information Technology)
    Even after being retired for 4 years, I still get job offers simply because there are so few people that specialize in my field.
    You just have to find the right niche of in demand jobs and get the specialized training to do those jobs.

4. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 23 months ago

People who are friendlier and more outgoing tend to be hired before the quieter, more reserved people with the same, or even more, education.