Time Travel

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (38 posts)
  1. stuart747 profile image60
    stuart747posted 13 years ago

Could it be possible?
    what do you think?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, we are all traveling through time all the time.smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image87
        Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.. that is true, too. 

Yet, actually does time even exist?  What is time?  Is it not just a concept in our minds?

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll need some time to think about that...smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image87
            Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One convincing argument about time is that it is a measurement of change.  If there is no change, there is no time.

That works pretty well for me.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you could board a ship that could travel near light speeds, leave the earth traveling for a year, turn around and head back, many years would have passed on the earth while only two years would have passed for you.

This could be considered a form of time travel. smile

1. iantoPF profile image78
        iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting and true. Also if we were able to analyze the light from distant stars to the point that we could see what is happening we would be looking millions of years into the past.

3. OpinionDuck profile image60
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would go with a definitely NOT for time travel.
      I think that it is a fantastic but unrealistic subject.
      I am disappointed that in four weeks there wasn't much interest in the subject.

4. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The humans, are God's Created "Time Machines" ... Traversing, The Ordained Duration of Life !

Therefore ... What Dimension of Time ...  could a Travelling Time Machine Traverse ... while Traversing the Reality ... Life ... ?

It is therefore, pure nonsense, to Theorize about Humans, Travelling to the Past or the Future ...

The Truth of Reality, is the Present, relate able to all the Past's Presents ... while Hoping, for a certain Present of the Future.

1. Mistress of Spice profile image40
        Mistress of Spiceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey this is so true, am in agreeable with this note.

happy hubbing

mistress of spice

5. Cleavey profile image61
      Cleaveyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The recent data from the Collider could affect this conversation.  If the data is correct, there could be a flaw with Eintein's Theory of Relativity, which in turn could change everything we've thought previously about time travel; in either direction.  So frickin' exciting...

6. profile image0
      Infinite712posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, time is an artificial concept. The objective universe consists only of matter.

2. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

There are two ways: You could have Tardis, which not only travels in space and time, but is bigger on the inside than the outside. How could you possibly go wrong.

Or, you could make a booking at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, or the Big Bang Burger Bar. Both of these, though, are for the very rich, or the very foolish. Or both. wink

1. rafibarlev profile image59
      rafibarlevposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm from the future. And the answer is no.

(Just joking.)

3. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

YES! why not.  anything is possible, right?

4. iantoPF profile image78
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

So what do you think about this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIrpEMbQ2M

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, who would she be talking to?  (I didn't have any sound, so I'm assuming it's the lady on the cell phone? lol)

1. iantoPF profile image78
        iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've got no idea Shades, but if it's a hearing aid, who is she listening to? There's probably a very mundane explanation or it could even be an elaborate hoax, it could be James T. Kirk in disguise and he's calling Scotty to beam him up. Who knows.

5. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

This is old hat( I mean the info in my answer is)

Einstein's train traverses all over the internet space. You may journey on it and it is up to you to believe it or not

6. Manna in the wild profile image63
    Manna in the wildposted 13 years ago

"Could it be possible?
    No.

"what do you think?"
    Read this -> http://hubpages.com/hub/flt

7. MoneyCreator24 profile image56
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

Yes. I think it's possible. Years ago I read about inventions and technological developments in the 40s of last century. It treated in a special rotating magnetic fields. Well-known scientists were involved. Actually was looking for the opposing force of gravity. They said they had found them. And also in the experiments, a space-time tunnel had been opened. Time travel would have been possible with it and had been held. Mainly people have been sent in the time it had no relatives. However, time travel is only conceivable with the model of a multiple universe. It is said that time exists only in our imagination. And all things are at the same time. This also means that past, present and future happen simultaneously. The most spectacular journey occurred when an attempt was made using a rotating magnetic field of a warship to become invisible. This experiment has even been filmed and is known as the "Philadelphia Experiment".

8. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 13 years ago

One of my favorite films is " Somewhere in Time " with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve...Having said that, I believe  absolute time travel is not possible, either into the past or future.
    Relative time travel to the future is possible. Einstein's Relativity theory, which perceives time slowing down as we approach the speed of light, is relative only to the observer...the subject itself is not aware of any change...Further, the faster we travel the more our universe contracts...... The Law of the Conservation of Matter and Energy do not allow it. Matter is never lost, only changed...
    To travel to the past or future would be sending that particular matter and energy to another place where it
    already exists. The same atoms cannot occupy the same space at the same time.
    To play devil's advocate to my own argument, what about alternate or multi-dimensional universes..?

1. profile image0
      Lweinbergposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's somewhat silly to say things about science are laws or facts, because a few short centuries ago it was fact that Earth was the center of the universe. Granted time travel would be insanely difficult if we could ever physically figure a method to it. I think you have to keep in mind that we are always looking into the past as you said, light takes time to travel.
           The idea of alternate or Multi-verses really isn't that far fetched, after all not long ago Black holes were considered sci-fi, and now we know they're every where. Even the idea of a black hole, I think, makes anything possible. A tear in the space-time continuum. Physically a hole must have two point, enter and exit, even if the exit is plugged there must be something outside this. I wrote a hub about it, black holes and white holes. But, I digress.
           Sorry for the novel, but I think time travel is possible, we are currently seeing lights from millions of years ago, and yes I know it's some what of a difference, but not that much!

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a good storyline for j k rowling. somebody should inform here. may be tomorrow we ind find science is all wrong, time walks and space sleeps...

LOL

9. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I think it's possible...and I'd like to try it.
    it's said that there are portals on Earth..take the Bermuda Triangle for one...roll

10. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

If there is time travel in the future, then they have already been here.
    What was, was
    what is, is
    what will be, will be.

11. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

There was that woman outside the Charlie Chaplin movie with a cell phone. You tell me.

12. SpanStar profile image59
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Possible only in the movies.  Let's recognize that time on this planet is done solely by revolving around the sun and the tilting of the Earth's axels beyond that nothing really changes in the universe- it doesn't wink out and back in as someone once said their are no sunrises and sunsets in space.

Even though I like the ideal of time travel there are too many things to think about if it were possible like if you went back to meet yourself what would happened to you since you've basically changed your own history not to mention the history others like at 11:00 am you stopped a kid from getting hit by a car but since you're talking to yourself that event never took place.

13. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Yes. I have been traveling forward in time for almost 63 years now.

It's slow going, though.

1. profile image52
      secretbonusposted 13 years ago

If we travel backward in time, before time travel existed or the machine to bring us back was created, will the time travel machine even exist to take us back there? If we travel backwards when we were younger and didn't understand time travel, would we have any memory of traveling backwards in time?

If a bolt of lighting hits the delorian at 88 MPH and we have a flex capacitor, and we see ourselves in that date, will we have created another life form?

If the universe is shaped like an hourglass, only the outside wraps around and sucks back into the blackhole and disperses the matter back into expansion, could it be our universe isn't even expanding?

If everything we understand about the universe is only our internal interpritation of reality, can we be so certain that everything outside of ourselves is really just our imagination and we are reality itself? What if we are one consciousness that has already occurred billions of times before, and the interactions with "other people" are just interactions with our other lifetimes? And every conversation we had, we already had from the other person's perspective?

What if when we dream we travel into understanding of realities caused by time travel that created paradoxes so they seem so real, yet they never really could exist?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Time travel is definitely possible, Einstein not only proved it mathematically, but it was independently tested and proven.

In order to travel to the future, all you have to do is move really really really fast.

Einstein came across the idea when he was contemplating why no one has ever seen a beam of light in a stand-still traveling exactly the same speed as them...

...then he looked up and saw a giant clock.

It suddenly dawned on him that he had been assuming that the rate of time was unchangeable! He realized that the up-until-then untouchable idea of constant time HAD to be incorrect!

------

Anyway, traveling to the future is possible.

They have yet to prove the reverse.

However, Hawking argues "if you can travel back in time... where are all the tourists?", and thus demands it is impossible.

But I would like to counter with "what if we all got killed before we proved it possible? Or we realized the atrocious diseases that would wipe out millions of people if diseases from the future were brought back to the past?" etc.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The tourists are here. Though the majority of them tend to cluster around the historical events.

If/when a bunch of them do show up here and don't even bother to hide the fact of their existence, we will know something big is about to happen. I know this to be true because one of them is sitting here next to me as I type this.

1. Cleavey profile image61

I'm sure everyone would appreciate elaboration...

He says that at 5:03 PM, HP time, the West Coast will cease to exist as we know it. Oh, well...

1. Cleavey profile image61

Damn it!  Now I have to book a flight...

I just realized that he is wearing a Timex. Never mind...

3. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years ago

Time travel to the future is definitely possible - any fast spaceship or suspended animation will do the job.  Our own astronauts do it all the time, albeit only seconds at a time.

Time travel to the post, however is another story.  Even if possible to design and build HG Wells machine it will never happen.  If someone does do just that one day some whacko from the future will come back and kill him before he does it.  No matter how many times it happens, someone somewhen won't like it and will take steps to stop it.  Humans are such wonderful creatures!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)