jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

If a parent who remarried dies, do you still keep in contact with your step fami

1. sj_workman79 profile image57
    sj_workman79posted 6 years ago

If a parent who remarried dies, do you still keep in contact with your step family?

If a parent who remarried dies, do you still keep in contact with your step family?

2. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 6 years ago

The answer for me would be yes. But it depends on the way you look at things. If you were treated fair and loved as their own, I would look forward to seeing them as family.

3. kmackey32 profile image67
    kmackey32posted 6 years ago

It would be wise to do so especially if there is children involved. My mom tried but for some reason my gramma didnt want to even though I was her sons daughter. I went many years wondering why.

4. RandallOnTheMove profile image83
    RandallOnTheMoveposted 6 years ago

I think that would depend on the relationship you have with them. Not sure there is an absolute answer for that. It also would depend on how they respond. People tend to be weird about 'step' situations. If you have a good relationship with them then there is no reason not to continue. Hope this helped.

5. dragnhaze profile image60
    dragnhazeposted 6 years ago

I believe to be polite about it...if your parent was happily married to that person before they passed away then you should keep some contact...if you happen to have a good step-child/parent relationship then I don't think you'd even have to ask the question...but if your parent was looking for a divorce or was letting you know that they were treating your parent badly then I think that should be your choice and you should not worry about being polite.

6. K. Burns Darling profile image83
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

I believe that it would depend upon your relationship with that step-parent or family.  My father and my step-mother are no longer together,  but they do remain good friends.  I have a very close relationship with her, and still refer to her as my step-mother, she is the only grandmother that my children have from my side of the family, and continues to co-grandparent with my dad. I am also close to my step-sisters and their children, and still refer to them as my nieces and nephews, and my children refer to them as cousins, so in my case, yes, if my father passes away before my stepmother, I would still be in contact with my former step-family.  By comparison, my sister couldn't wait for my dad and step mother to separate, and does not remain in contact with anyone in the family, and does not allow her son to call my step-mother grandma.

7. Handicapped Chef profile image80
    Handicapped Chefposted 6 years ago

I would say yes, and no if your a close net family, but if you were not that close I would still send card on holidays and a call every now and then because they are still family even if it is by marriage.

8. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

For me, it would depend on how I got on with the step family and how the relationship was. If children are involved, it may be better to keep in touch and maintain some sort of a relationship.

9. searchlurch9 profile image61
    searchlurch9posted 6 years ago

Yes I think that would be the right thing to do. Though you're not blood you are still family in a sense and I feel that you have an obligation to remain in contact. smile

10. sj_workman79 profile image57
    sj_workman79posted 6 years ago

Thank you for all of your comments. My father died in June and I wanted to write an article on relationships with the step family after a death or break up.

11. Jasdeep Singh profile image61
    Jasdeep Singhposted 6 years ago

It depends more on your relation before your father died. If your relations with your step family were good I think you should keep in contact and it also depend on  their decision as well if they want to be in contact with you or not.