jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

You find out your child lives an alternative lifestyle. Are you accepting of it?

1. Rastamermaid profile image73
    Rastamermaidposted 6 years ago

You find out your child lives an alternative lifestyle. Are you accepting of it?

2. Sunshine625 profile image93
    Sunshine625posted 6 years ago

Yes. Unconditional love goes hand in hand with my method of parenting.

3. K. Burns Darling profile image82
    K. Burns Darlingposted 6 years ago

Absolutely, every child needs to know that they are important, and that they are loved.  Love is unconditional, and as I have often told my teenagers, Nothing that you do or say will ever make me not love you, I may not always like you, but I will always, always, love you.

4. profile image52
    SpaceAgeposted 6 years ago

if it's abominable, no way, I'd strongly discourage it, & encourage right living.

5. -Astaroth- profile image76
    -Astaroth-posted 6 years ago

Alternative is a very vast and relative concept, as is being supportive to a child. Children are easily affected and manipulated by their environment and especially by friends and pop culture. As parents we ought to guide them to understand how to make the right choices in life because we wont be there for them forever. We can't shield them from the environment we have to teach them how to survive in it while being true to themselves. Alternative music hairstyle or clothing is not an issue because for most children it is a phase and the society they live in will force them to conform by the time they become responsible adults if they want to move up the corporate ladder.
    For other children who feel the urge to continue to express themselves that way well into their teens and adult life, it shouldn't be an issue if they are functioning happy members of the society. What parents should not be supportive in is giving children too much leeway to do things that would hurt them, their families or the society.
    Parents have to be cunning and smart enough to get through to their children so that they themselves will know REASONS behind the FAMILY decision. Children now a days at a very young age are very worldly and opinionated and not doing something just "BECAUSE I SAID SO" wont cut it. You need to be patient enough and willing to repeat explaining over and over again why some alternative lifestyles and practices wont be allowed in your household or outside when s/he is old enough to get out.

6. whoisbid profile image75
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

I don't really care what music or culture the child adopts but it is important to teach children to respect their parents. If you believe the Torah, then you will know that the first commandment with a promise is to "Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother" .. and the reward is to live long in the land. The teachings of Moses are more relevant today than ever.

7. Cutters profile image60
    Cuttersposted 6 years ago

You have no choice in this matter they are your kid or kid's accept it and move on. You have to love them not matter what. If you do not then you are no parent.