Would you stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of your children?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Gabriel Wilson profile image90
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 9 years ago

Would you stay in an unhappy marriage for the sake of your children?

My friend has been married for almost 10 years and has 3 children. She and her husband hate each other (her words not mine) but have decided to suffer being unhappy until their children are all over 16. The youngest is only 4. I don't think I could do that, would you?

2. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

It depends on my circumstances. If I have children, then obviously I have to think of their welfare. I would not intend to stay in an unhappy relationship for the sake of pleasing others. I know this sounds selfish, but if I am unhappy, I have to do something about it. I won't just sit there and hope my situation will get better. I have to act and do something about it because life is too short.

Gabriel Wilsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Life is too short to be unhappy for so long, you're right smile Tanx.

3. Lori P. profile image70
    Lori P.posted 9 years ago

People who stay in unhappy marriages for the sake of their children are making a huge mistake. Unless divorce would put the children in harm's way (abusive parent, extreme poverty, etc.) it is best to part ways, and here's why:
    1.  You are modeling what marriage is. Your kids will learn that being married means being unhappy and not loving your spouse. In the future, they may opt not to get married at all or subconsciously attract a mate that will be oppositional just to replicate what they were raised to think marriage is.
    2.  The daily misery creates a toxic home atmosphere. Nothing needs to be said for the kids to pick up on the tension and distance. Especially when the parents "hate" each other. It's one thing to get along with respect for each other, but to hate each other? That is something you can't hide.
    3.  The parent-child relationship will be negatively affected because even though you may "hate" the other parent, that person is someone whom your child loves.
    4.  You may think you're doing this for the kids, but ask any adult kid if they would be glad their parents stayed together for their sake and the answer is a resounding NO. They report that they would feel guilty for being the cause of forcing their parents to stay together and forego their own happiness.
    5.  Adult kids also report that they would feel betrayed and cheated because of the false front put on by their parents. They would hate to learn that all those years together were a fraud.

Ask yourself why you're staying for the kids? Are they really better off in a home environment where their parents are unhappy? Because to them, all the other reasons to stay together don't matter if their parents are unhappy. With that said, married couples with children really need to get their act together because they're showing their children that you can stop loving someone just because they fail to meet your expectations. That you can just cut off someone you once loved. And that scares the heck out of children. Does your love for them also have strings?

1. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely! very well said.

2. Gabriel Wilson profile image90

You have said some things here that hit home fast. Your last paragraph especially. Thank you, you've certainly made me think.

4. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

Wow...I think they should separate for the sake of their children.  Or try marriage counseling if they insist on living with each other.  I could not live with someone I hated.  I think as the children grow older, they will pick up on that, and may learn to not respect authority, or other people.  I think if they stay together, they are doing their children a huge disservice.

I think you have something with the respect and authority, I am already seeing that. Tanx.

5. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I did that for several years with the mistaken impression it would help my son.  Eventually I had enough and we split, but we did so amicably and put our child first.  Honestly, he adjusted very well, very quickly and we both moved on.  He now has a dad and a wonderful step dad in his life and he sees me setting a positive example of what a healthy relationship means.

Children can adjust to divorce just fine when parents are mature about it and put their differences aside to work together for the mutual benefit of those kids.  Sadly, many couples end up using their kids as pawns in their divorce etc. and that's when those kids get hurt.

I believe it's far better for children to be raised in a happy home, than to feel the pressures of living in an unhappy home that was maintained "for them".

Your last sentence spells it out for me, thank you for that.

6. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

No, I wouldn't do it.
    My parents got divorced when I was seven and it was the best thing for our household. Whether parents argue or fight in front of their children they can (usually) sense the absence of love.
    As Dr. Phil is fond of saying;
    "Children would rather be from a broken home than live in one."
    On the other hand I have heard of couples who stayed together, were cordial, and (their children had no inkling) the marriage was a sham. When the children moved out the parents got divorced and their adult children were devastated! They took it harder than younger children.
    One person told me it created lots of trust issues for them in their own relationships. After all if they could be "fooled" into thinking all was "perfect" and (suddenly) have the rug pulled out from under them watching their parent's 30 year marriage fail how could they be "sure"  if what they'd have would be "real" or lasting.
    At least if they'd witness arguments and disagreements there would not have been an immense shock of hearing their divorce plans.

The trust issue thing is very important, I hadn't really thought about it that way, but of course now that you've said it, it's stupid to deny the effects of being dishonest. Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)