jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

For Someone who is NOT a Diabetic, is it Better to Consume Sugar/Raw Sugar or a

1. Mmargie1966 profile image93
    Mmargie1966posted 5 years ago

For Someone who is NOT a Diabetic, is it Better to Consume Sugar/Raw Sugar or a Sugar Substitute?

I truly don't know if it is healthier to eat natural sugar or sugar substitute which contains chemicals, but has less calories.

2. heatherleex profile image60
    heatherleexposted 5 years ago

Natural is always better than something with chemicals. 

Our bodies were intended to ingest naturally derived sugar, but we just happen to eat more of it than we should!

3. Radcliff profile image81
    Radcliffposted 5 years ago

It's best to wean yourself off of a sweetener habit. Unless you're eating a piece of fruit, sugar or sweetener is in an unnatural state. Any kind of sweetener stimulates cravings for more sweet foods, and calorie-free sweeteners are no different. Sugar hardens arteries, increases body fat, is the preferred nourishment of cancer cells, increases triglycerides, causes neurological problems in a developing fetus, and can lead to problems with memory and learning.

4. darkland profile image59
    darklandposted 5 years ago

Processed sugar is extremely bad, so much so that there is a group of doctors that want to have it outlawed as a food.  Sugar substitutes are a wild card.  They are chemicals we have no idea how they will affect the body in the long run or what damage they may be doing.
    Sugar is not avoidable in our society but the more you can limit it the better. It's probably best to avoid sugar substitutes all together.  Honey is the best bet where- ever possible. Your body can process it easily and it is, in fact, the only food that never goes bad...in other words we can always eat it.  To me this shows we have a long history of consuming honey.

5. Amberjewell profile image76
    Amberjewellposted 5 years ago

I personally do not like artificial sweeteners as they contain aspartame - a very dangerous cancer causing chemical that acutally kills ant colonies if used as a pesticide. In addition, it makes people crave carbs, which is why drinking anything diet never helps people loose significant amounts of weight. I would stick to plain old sugar or none at all. I trained myself to like coffee and tea without sugar and like it much better now that it's what I'm used to.

6. shivanchirakkal10 profile image56
    shivanchirakkal10posted 5 years ago

dear Mmargie, 
    Eat natural sugar is better and good than other sugar or sugar substitute.Eating any food is harm to body if eat it over.So before your food, think what you want and how much?

7. nicediabetes profile image81
    nicediabetesposted 5 years ago

My Drs always advised that would prefer if I fancied the occasional treat I would eat real wholefoods or in turn food with sugar contained rather than artificial sweeteners

This however wouldnt be something they would recommend on a daily or even weekly basis. Everything in moderation is key

Too much untested research on impact of artificial sweeteners

8. ErinElise profile image78
    ErinEliseposted 5 years ago

In my opinion, it is better to use natural sugar over sugar substitutes.  But, everything should be in moderation of course.  When buying sugar, rather than getting the white sugar, I like to get natural raw cane sugar crystals, tan in color.  Not to be mistaken for brown sugar though.  : )   It tastes so much better and you don't have to use as much.  It costs a little bit more, but lasts longer.