jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

What is the use of these teeth in this cutter in the image?

1. Venkatachari M profile image57
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

What is the use of these teeth in this cutter in the image?

I can't understand the use of these teeth side of the cutter. I am using this cutter since more than one year and cut vegetables from the plain edge of it. In doing so, these teeth hurt me sometimes scratching my fingers and hand. I wonder why they have put the teeth at the upper side of this cutter. Do any of you use this type of cutter?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12383287_f260.jpg

2. TheHoleStory profile image81
    TheHoleStoryposted 2 years ago

It's possible that it's there to help hold what ever you are cutting.

1. cam8510 profile image96
      cam8510posted 2 years agoin reply to this

That was my first thought.  You could jam a head of lettuce or a cabbage down on it, but I'm sure that's not right.

2. Venkatachari M profile image57
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think any purpose holding a vegetable with the teeth side of it. I have to cut them from the bottom side of the blade. The bottom edge cuts the vegetables into pieces. It is not good even for mincing or crushing with those teeth.

3. TheHoleStory profile image81
      TheHoleStoryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Did you buy this brand new or was it purchased used with modifications made on it by someone else?

4. Venkatachari M profile image57

It is purchased new from the market in our city, Hyderabad. Now, I see it is available online also. Which I have mentioned below in some other comment. You can have it from amazon.com at the price of $25 ( their product is costly).

5. TheHoleStory profile image81
      TheHoleStoryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you can just remove the teeth, and use the device without the teeth in place.

3. cam8510 profile image96
    cam8510posted 2 years ago

My guess is that you push whatever you are cutting down onto the metal blades which serve as a holder.  Think of a tomato stuck on the blades.  You could slice it all the way through by cutting down into the slots between the metal blades.

I want one too!

I tried many things. But none of it solved my or suggested some answer.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 2 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen one like that. Maybe it is for holding something large in place for slicing, like a big block of cheese or a large loaf of bread?

I never tried slicing of cheese or bread with it. I use a small knife for those items.

5. Venkatachari M profile image57
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

I searched for it just now at online retail sites and found the features of this cutter as follows:
    Easy to use and clean
    Two way chopping blade
    Chop all vegetables in shapes and sizes as per your convenience
    Used for: Chopping and rinsing
    These cutters are available at amazon also in some different shaped boards.
    But, I am not satisfied with above description as I don't see anything special while chopping from that end.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image96
      Rochelle Frankposted 2 years agoin reply to this

OK-- Now I am getting the idea that the handle of the blade raises and lowers, like a paper cutter. I think the 'tooth side" might be for tenderising meat-- and you probably do not eat meat.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That sounds very logical, Rochelle, about the tenderizing.

3. Venkatachari M profile image57

Yes, Rochelle. I forgot to mention that fact. I thought it is obvious from the image. It is raise and vegetables placed on board and cut holding the handle. The pieces fall into the hollow depth side of the board.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

I have never seen such a cutter. I am wondering if the teeth and slots are to cut small bit-size pieces of something? You know - cut one way all the way across something then turn and cut the other way.  Very interesting tool.

Your reply is somewhat reasonable. But, I didn't find any use trying that way also. Best way is to use only one side (the plain smooth side) of it and ignore the teeth side. That is what I am do. But cutting that way the teeth are top side n hurt you

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering how you could put enough pressure down on the teeth in order to cut on the smooth side. Maybe if you have a mallet or long piece of wood to press down on the teeth when you cut?

working