So how does this site compare with Triond?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image52
    Sopwithposted 13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

So I'm over here from Triond, checking out the competition and seeing if there's anywhere better.

In general I like Triond. Yes, it's an anarchic wasteland with editors who screw up more than they fix, little moderation, and a lot of spam. But the pay scale is simple... you're paid based upon what you do, not who you are. No 'hubkarma' or 'clout' or any of that other stupid crap.

I'm also paid per view and not per banner click, which is cool. It's my responsibility as a writer to bring readers to my site, but I shouldn't be penalized if the advertising is crap and doesn't get clicked on.

That's pretty much the sum of what I like about Triond. Anyway, what I'd like to know is:

My best article on Triond has 8500 views and has made $12.75. Would a similar article on Hubpages, written by a new person, likely make more than that?

What's the editing like here? Do a lot of articles get rejected? Do they take days to post your stuff? Are there controls to prevent spam?

How are hubpages viewed by the popular websites? For example, I can't post images on Digg from Triond because the Triond spammers have prompted Digg to block such things. Have there been any such sanctions here?

Sorry about the wall of text. sad

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's probably difficult to compare, but from around 7000 page views in the last week I've made a combined $30 from Google, eBay and Amazon. And this is actually pretty low for Hubpages. I'm not an SEO expert and my Hubs are not designed to get the best out of Google Adsense, Amazon or eBay - so with minimum work, minimum SEO and little 'knowledge' I can still earn $30 a week - if I really tried this would probably at least triple for the same number of visits.

1. profile image52
        Sopwithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's enough for me to give this a shot. If you added up all my page views on Triond it comes to around 19000 - and my combined income, for all my months, is about $25.

I don't know anything at all about SEO, so most of my articles die off once Reddit stops looking at them. Learning that might be interesting to me, though. I'll see where this goes. Thanks. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's also worth pointing out that although many Hubbers get obsessed with their Hubberscore, it's not all that important.  A low Hubberscore will penalize spammers, but a high Hubberscore doesn't bring you any more money.  It's merely a reflection of how well you're doing.

The amount I earn per article varies a LOT.  My best performing Hub has made nearly $200 - the worst performing has made 7 cents!  The good thing is that you can analyze why that's happening, and keep experimenting as much as you like with ways to improve the earning capacity of each Hub.

3. embitca profile image84
      embitcaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My best article on Hubpages has over 250K pageviews and earned me over $4000 between January and May.

I think that is probably all I need to say wink

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.

2. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Double Wow!

2. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

$12.75 from 8500 page views? That sounds rubbish.

Seriously, pay per view and hubpages are completely different beasts. If you realise this and adopt different writing styles for each, you will do well.

But not many people realise this.

1. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking that, I have had less views than 8500 on my hubs, I get about 3000 views a week but I have some hubs which earn just because they are displaying ads, just because I felt like writing them!

2. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have received some great responses so ill just add another income expectation.

with 8.5k views I would be sad to receive less than $60 USD from adsense alone - w/ multiple other available monetization methods and the control that HP allows - its not foolish to think that 3 times that amount is easily achieved just using the built in HP partners. (which you are not limited to)

But on the other hand if you are writing something "pop culture" or "trendy" ..like as an extreme example "Lindsey Lohan rehab" and promoting mostly through sites like digg and reddit - you would do better with a PPV (triond,AC, factoidz) system as that same content would likely earn you close to nothing here at HP.

3. cubesz profile image60
      cubeszposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've got an article that has 8000 views got me 9 dollars. It doesn't sound that rubbish that someone got 12.75 dollars from 8500 page views. Although Triond's pay is extremely varied, so someone could have 8500 views who made only 5 bucks.

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Sounds like you'd make more here. Do Triond articles allow backlinks? Like if I wrote an article there about catching catfish, could I link it to a hub here about cooking catfish?

1. profile image52

I'm pretty sure they allow that. I've seen other people link to their blogs.

4. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Here's the rub... the ads on Triond are Adsense, and therefore PPC. So Triond makes money based on clicks.

They can afford to pay you per view, because it's far, far less than what what they're getting from Adsense.

The other thing about this sort of system is that it's not as transparent as a straight split on page views (be it 50/50 or in HubPages case 40/60) or even a split on revenue. At least with the way HubPages have it worked out you know exactly how much you've earned (no 'scrubbing') and its calculated on a daily basis. Well actually, it's calculated live. Just log into your Adsense account and you can see how much you've earned yesterday and how much you've earned so far today.

There are no editors here at HubPages. You write, edit and publish your own stuff. You can go back and edit it as you see fit. You can unpublish or even delete your work if you feel that it's not performing as well as it should and then you can go publish that content somewhere if you see fit.

You've asked a lot of intelligent questions, that tells me something, you're a thinker. And you can write. So HubPages will work well for you. Give it a go. You won't find overnight success, but given your prior experience I think you'll be on your feet, running and doing well in a few months.

1. profile image52

Thanks for your explanation!

Yes, I like the responses I've gotten. I'll make this my flagship site and see what I can do with it. Someone making over $20 a month on Triond is doing very well by their standards, but hubpages actually seems like it might be a viable second income instead of token money.

Is spam a big problem here? That's what has hurt Triond... bad writers trying to game the system and the mass quantities of spam have diluted the content a great deal - to the point where some websites aren't accepting links from there anymore.

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spam is a problem everywhere, however HubPages manages to deal with it better than most.

* Having a low HubScore makes a persons links nofollow, therefore rendering most spammers efforts ineffective.

* Duplicate content can be published, but can lower a persons HubScore. Not much of a problem if you've also got a lot of original content published, but if most of the hubs are duplicate it will make it difficult for a person to get over 75 HubberScore, which is the score a person has to get, otherwise ALL their hubs are nofollowed.

* Only two outbound links per domain is allowed on a hub. Spammers really like to cram them in, so this slows them down a lot.

* A person can't have ANY outbound links on duplicate content. So no content scrapping is allowed.

All these are pretty much automatic, they don't require people to monitor these infringements.

And of course there is a system where humans can report a hub. If a hub is reported nothing happens to it, until it is checked by someone at HP HQ, and then if it does have other rule infractions it will be dealt with.

5. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

If there are actual "editors" who touch one word of what you write, then HubPages is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far superior by far.

1. profile image52

Yes, the Triond editors get flayed on the forums there. It's not the editing that's the problem, it's the fact that they often create more grammatical/formatting errors than they fix because I think that English isn't the first language of a lot of them. They rely on automated tools.

I go ape woolies when my title gets changed to something nonsensical, or they post my article about the Wii on a Martial Arts website, or my article about driving (cars) to a music website focusing on string instruments (I am not making this up).

So the fact that there are no editors here is a big plus.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.  There is no possible way I would tolerate that.  That's insane. 

HP will let you live or die by your own grammatical choices.  Occasionaly they have to jump in and pull down a hub because capitalism is stronger than freedom of ideas, but it's pretty rare, and if it happens, you probably knew it was possible. And you can fix it or use it elsewhere.

6. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

I have tried Triond although I did not give it a really good go but I have found the HubPages team to be excellent, above board and extremely supportive.  There is a real sense of community in HubPages, tons of support and feedback and just downright great people who are willing to lend themselves to each other so that anyone who wants to win at doing this can!

I wouldn't trade HubPages for notin'.!

7. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Hubpages and Squidoo are way better than infobarrel, triond.

8. Shil1978 profile image86
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

I tried Triond before I opted to concentrate on HubPages. I still have a few articles on there, but don't bother adding anymore!! I didn't like many things about Triond. For one, the approval process for articles, which sometimes took days. Also, as you mentioned, the 'editing' part of it.

More importantly, the pay isn't really that great as it sounds. Pay per impression might seem attractive, but at the rates I saw, it could have never competed with pay-per-click programs like AdSense. Although, they have incorporated AdSense lately, I've had problems getting my integreation sorted out (till now). I did bring the problem to the attention of the moderators there, but nothing happened. So, wasn't too impressed with that either!!

Another thing I noticed is I didn't get anywhere near the kind of traffic for similar articles on Triond, as compared to HubPages, even with doing all the hard work from my side.

I can safely advise you to go for HubPages, but do give it time (at least 6 months or so) and keep publishing good articles (hubs). You should see good results if you do that. Also, utilizing all possible affiliate programs available here at HubPages like Adsense, Amazon, Ebay and Kontera will help maximizing your revenue. You can of course choose to concentrate on some of them, but keep AdSense - it has worked the best for me.

Again, you'll have to be patient. So, be prepared to dig your heels in!!

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Even the worst of HubPages is better than the average on Triond...and this is from someone who writes on both...

10. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I prefer hubpages, I checked Triond out but never really got in to it.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

My best has 9,484 and it's earned $29.77

12. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

I prefer HubPages, I found Triond difficult to use!

13. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

Triond does not come anywhere near HubPages if you need to do a comparison.
    1) The treatment given by the Site to many writers have already chased many good writers away from them.
    2) Income? Pathetic.. compared to what a person can earn at HubPages.
    3) Views? Pathetic too..
    4)Waiting for approval of article? I am not liking it either.

But Triond has a wonderful community of members and that is my only motivation for me to use the Site on and off to promote my Hubs, Blogs or InfoBarrels.

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know it creates a few more backlinks - but I rarely digg or backlink to my pages.

If you write good quality, original content on a topic, since HP has a PR6 with google, chances are you'll get your article in the first two pages of google search (as long as its not a topic with heaps of competition.)

One of my hubs gets 300 hits per day without any work from me - and any time someone clicks adverts I get all the cash.

I've been here 4 months, close to 17,000 views, earned $17 but must say that the amount I'm earning each month is greatly increasing - a few more months and I wouldn't be surprised if I was in the $30-40 a month or more .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)